PDA

View Full Version : battery/charging

rtmarengo59
05-05-2008, 12:29 PM
you guys did such a great job solving the carb fuel leak. Now I need a charging poblem fixed.

I charged the battery and holds the charge as long as I am riding. Once it sits overnight it's dead. I checked the charge voltage and it showed 11v on idle and stayed the same with increased rpm. I went to check it again a little later and it no voltage. Bad battery, bad rectifier or both?

culcune
05-05-2008, 12:38 PM
These batteries (I am assuming stock) aren't the greatest--start there.

theENIGMATIC
05-05-2008, 09:47 PM
You probably did but if not make sure you top up the battery to the fill line with distilled water before you charge...I cant think of any other reason you have that prob unless the battery is dead or leaking?

IronFist
05-05-2008, 10:05 PM
11v across the battery terminals, as you increase rpms is not good. Well not if it was me. I'd be looking for 12.5. My old cb350 gets 14v at 4000rpm. Have you been blowing bulbs? If not, I'd be looking at my rectifier, if I were in your shoes. But other, better mechanics are sure to help you out. :D

ejcycles
05-06-2008, 07:42 AM
Charging systems should put out at the battery posts 13.5-14.8 volts while the engine is running at 3000 rpm. If you have a fully charged battery {12.8 volts}, your charging system will be almost the same at idle.

If you filled and charged your battery correctly, this means filled it with acid, let it sit fore two hours, then charged it with a 2 amp or under Trickle charger for at least 8 hrs. before installation in the bike, the battery should be OK. If you didn't use this procedure to activate the battery... most likely it's junk, buy a new one and check the charging system.

Charging systems will not show the correct voltage output with a bad battery.

IronFist
05-06-2008, 11:27 AM
That's what I meant to say. :roll:

theENIGMATIC
05-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Is the elec starter giving you probs???
Is the charging system still running all your lights and stuff?