PDA

View Full Version : Quality PD24J carb replacement?

John Phoenix
01-14-2022, 01:43 PM
Hi.

I'm looking to replace my stock PD24J carb with a quality but inexpensive unit. The scooter is a Dong Fang brand "Razor 150" sold through Redfox Powersports. I see Amazon in the USA has them from 20 to about 50 dollars. I think a 20 dollar carb may be cheap quality wise but the one 50 dollar model I found (GoKart Exports brand) seems overpriced compared to the average price. I just don't know which brand to trust.

The bike is 6 months old. (my first motorcycle) I want to replace the carb because I don't have access to the fuel/air mixture screw like you see in this post (It's covered up with what looks to be a solid piece of metal):

https://www.reddit.com/r/scooters/comments/gg6j83/my_pd24j_carb_doesnt_have_the_fuelair_mix_screw/

I know I can remove the plug but I'd rather not and just go with a better quality carb that may preform better.

You see no matter how I adjust the idle speed screw, the bike wants to kill easily and I suspect I'm not getting the power I should. I live right at 3 feet above sea level and I understand the fuel/air mixture is factory set for a much higher elevation. I read that someplace because they want to set them at an average that makes most people happy. I have no actual way to determine the exact sea level my fuel/air mixture was set for.. I assume perhaps it's set for the location of the factory where the bike was made.

Ya know that purring like a kitten sound you try to achieve, I can never get that. Of course it's possible as a newbie I'm still not adjusting things right and don't need to mess with the fuel/air screw at all.

Your thoughts? Thank you.

JerryHawk250
01-14-2022, 02:01 PM
Save you money and buy the less expensive one. I can promise you they will be the same no matter what the price is.

65cabriolet
01-14-2022, 03:00 PM
drill out the cover, its easy to do and if you still want to spend money, then go ahead and buy a new carb.