PDA

View Full Version : Gl 50 Top Tank

Greedy
05-09-2008, 12:44 AM
Every kid that grew up in my era grew up with Honda Mini-Trails, CT70’s, XR-XL70’s Kawasaki KD80/100’s, MT/KV75’s, Mc1/TR 90’s. Yamaha DT80’s even the occasional YZ80. Suzuki had a TS 50, Trail Hoppers and TM’s. If you didn’t have one, another kid did or we dreamed of them. Parents usually thought of them as dangerous, cheap Japanese money wasters but that didn’t stop us kids from wanting one or at least to ride one. Many memorable days were spent at an empty field or at some kid made track, riding these fine little bikes. Buying Motocross magazines and dreaming of being the next Roger Decoster or Bob Hannah. Ok, maybe it was Marty Smith or Marty Tripes. Whoever your idol was, or even if you didn’t have one, riding that bike was one of the reasons for living. Sure, we played baseball, hockey football and basketball. Some kids played golf or tennis. Others grew up with boats or swam. None of those sports could rival the freedom of riding a motorcycle. The only problem was getting the bike to and from the riding area. Still an issue today as you need a truck and or a trailer to get your dirtbike to the trails that are no longer empty lots. This alone discourages many as the extra expense of transporting your ride is not always worth the trouble. This is a story of a grown up kid that has found joy in the new laws, new bikes and the rides you couldn’t take as a kid.

Yes, you can still feel that joy you felt as a kid. Believe it or not, I find it to be more fun now. Even if you missed the kid times and didn’t have a bike, you can now.

We all grew up on an island near the city. I don’t live on the Island but in the near city now. Growing up we had dirt roads and if your bike wasn’t too loud, you could get away with riding on the street to get to the trails. Sure, the police would throw your bike in the trunk and take you home to your parents if they caught you but we had two police cars on an island that now has 10 or more cars. If you rode side saddle to the trails and respected others, for the most part, they left you alone. We always wore a helmet and protective gear so injury was not a big worry. Don’t get me wrong, you can get hurt on a bicycle but at least we wore gear. That is why at my age, I can still ride.

I raced MX up ‘till my 20’s and sold my bikes to raise a family. My son took us all over the state and country playing travel baseball and had no real interest in motorcycles. Once he grew into school sports, I made the mistake of buying a Suzuki DRZ400s. I immediately made it into a full MX machine and rarely rode it on the street. Except for getting to the trails and back. See a pattern here? The brute weighed over 300lbs but had electric start so that helped. I spent almost $10,000 making it ready for the track. Then my wife suggested we go see the races. The two main tracks I rode as a kid are still going strong so we went one Friday night to see what it had turned into.

Well, that was it, I came home and started getting the bike ready to go face the new CRF450’s YZF’s, RM’s and KX’s. The DRZ had a plate on it and turn signals. I did remove the mirrors and kick stand. Can the DRZ hang with the real race bikes in the 40+ age group? Maybe the 30+ non-jump class may be more fitting for the 300+lb streetbike?

Even if the bike could hang, I quickly found out that although my skills were intact, my body wasn’t. I went every weekend. Friday night at one track, Saturday night at another and then Sunday I would ride the Iron Man one hour race. Yes, don’t laugh, on a street legal bike with a horn, turn signals and lights. Once I got my body back in shape, the bike did ok. Mid pack results where not uncommon and my laptimes where respectable. I then picked up a YZ125 and sleeved it to 144cc’s. That was better and I even raced a few indoor races that Winter. Then came the new RM250 that I still own. I won the 30+ class the next year and bathed in the accomplishment of owning the #1 plate. I still had to pack up all my gear, buy a trailer, and pay for all the racing.

Back to the joy of the little bikes. After getting hurt defending the #1 plate, I started fixing up old small displacement bikes and selling them on ebay. Would any of you my age believe that a nice 4spd CT70 would be worth $3500 on ebay?

I worked at a used cycle shop as a kid. We would get basket cases brought in that we would strip and sometimes throw in the dumpster if they could not be salvaged. You could drive down the street on trash day and find a mini-trail or an old used up bike thrown in the trash. Who would have guessed that the parts alone would be worth what they are now. Had I known, I’d have a junk yard full of them and would now be paying my accountant to count the money. Live and learn I guess.

I now have a slew of little bikes and even when I tried to license some as motorcycles, the state told me I had a moped and took $15 from me for 3 years of sticker life. A six speed Derbi Senda with an 74cc kit on it? Pipe, carb, 70mph CR80 beating moped? Ok, I give up. Must be the gray hair. The Derbi doesn’t get much use but the MB5’s, Honda copy’s and all the kitted mopeds I can build sure do. I even built an MB5 with NOS. The Derbi is still the king but blowing past a kid on a nice Vespa or Aprillia makes the gray hair grow over the bald spot.

It all came to me the other day. It is spring here in Michigan and I pulled out my favorite daily rider. It is an RCM GL 50 top tank.

I geared it to do about 50mph and it is a copy of a 60’s Honda 50s. With updated 12v electrical. After 3400 miles I have done no major work. The suspension is limited but not if you know the limits and keep it under them. I put a set of saddle bags on it and it is a great grocery getter or quick run to the store bike. The laws state that the moped can not go over 30mph but as with the other mopeds, what police officer is going to stop an old guy with a helmet on? I would think that the paper work alone isn’t worth the hassle. I have never had any problem riding around town. Stopping at all the stop signs and respecting others is the key. Loud pipes may save lives but a nice quite bike has its virtues. The helmet helps a lot too. I don’t agree with the helmet laws but I would not ride a bicycle without one let alone a motor vehicle with nothing but the ground or a pole to break my fall. My choice, not the laws.

While riding down the alley, I realized, this is it! It took me 40 years but I did it! I am on a motorcycle and not only can I ride down a dirt road not worrying about getting my bike put in a police car trunk and my dad beating my arse, I am doing it in a city I would have never dreamed of riding in as a kid. As I pass the police station, the firemen are drinking coffee and wave as I go by. I nod and think to myself that the riding has come full circle. Here I am, enjoying the city on a little bike. I head to the county park to see some nature. What a wonderful place. Birds, ducks swans, squirrels, the river, trees in bloom. You don’t have to ride at break neck speeds to enjoy this. Going fast would just make the trip shorter. I stop at the river and look at the beauty. This is the life! $600 for a bike, $15 for a moped sticker, $1 in gas and here I am, back where even my youth could not bring me. Getting older is great! And so are these bikes. With gas going through the roof, I think I have found my passion.

warrior91
05-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Nice story...

Hits home...Ct70 was first 2 wheeler I ever rode.

Greedy
05-09-2008, 01:01 AM
Thanks! I figured I wasn't the only one with this feeling :)

SpeedSouth
05-09-2008, 02:27 AM
I'm not quite there yet, myself...but there's no question I'm slowing down on the streets these days. It's the smart thing do.

Very nice little story. :) I started on a CT90, just like my grandfather's.

kczukiman
05-09-2008, 03:46 AM
Greedy that spurs some memories for sure.I'm 47.Growing up in the mid 60's early 70's I had a mother that thought mini bikes were death wishes.In time she gave in to a Rupp Sprint and my brother and I was in heaven or so we thought until a freind up the ally got a ct 70.
Dang what a delema,I'm sure it wasn't the first time in my life I descoverd jelousy but I sure remeber the envy that I felt.It was his bithday presant and wouldn't ya know he wouldn't let no one ride it.
Eventually after some time had passed Tim had finally ask my brother and myself if we wanted to switch bikes for a day.I can still remeber that first ride.four down transmission,smooth powerful engine.The only thing that didn't feel right was the handlebars,but after a while that faded.

IronFist
05-09-2008, 09:47 AM
If I could have afforded to keep my chinabike I would have. It was my first bike, at 41. I still think it was a better city bike than what I've got now. It stopped on a dime, and even at 150cc I could get away from idiots quick, or hop a curb to park. Getting out of the city even only20-30 miles where I was passing farms and smelling the air is where I got bit by the riding bug. I bought the new bike to be dependable on long rides but that little china bike NEVER let me down. I like smaller displacement bikes, I'm small, and old. Now at 42, I'm experiencing the same feelings as you are, but my childhood memories are being made as I ride. The wife doesn't ride, so I can tell her all this, she can't understand. None of my friends ride, I've never gone riding with anyone. Riding for me is a solitary experience. Very serious, in the city, but when I get out to the country, the experience is always the same. I'm a wide eyed kid, smiling from ear to ear. I know you understand what I'm saying, even if I can't say it right. N2r.

culcune
05-09-2008, 01:06 PM
I remember when I was about 10, my sisters went to an all-girl Catholic high school. My mom had picked me up from elementary school, and we drove to pick them up. AS we waited to turn left into the parking lot, there were moms and older high school girls (who had their own cars) coming out of the lot.

Then, I saw the sexiest sight I had ever seen up to that point in my life (besides the first Playboy I had seen a few years earlier); an older high school girl riding out of the lot on a light blue Honda minitrail 70--don't remember what that girl even looked like, but that bike......... :wink:

BoloDon
05-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Amen brother, your right on point.

kczukiman
05-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Speaking of ct 70's
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/674339367.html

Greedy
10-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the kind words and I am glad you liked the ramble. Still riding every chance I get. Anyone wants to ride in the cold winter of Mi. let me know. I will be out there:)

VinceDrake
10-22-2008, 01:13 AM
Mr. Greedy:

I really enjoyed reading your post. Reminded me of things I had forgotten, although yself I'm more into the twisties and asphalt than dirt and air...

I constantly amazes me the things I see on the bike that I would have for sure missed in my car.

Thanks for the post

--Vince