PDA

View Full Version : need advise

ruddymart
05-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Hi everyone,
I am new here and also soon to be scooter owner. But before I make my first purchase I have a few questions to you the veterans.
My first question is why people recommend some Chinese scooters over other Chinese scooters? What is the difference, because I think that they are all made in same way - the so-called good ones are made in the same small shops as well in some of the big factories and the so-called bad ones made in same places?
My other question is what tends to brake most on these Chinese scooters? Are all major problems or just easily fixed things as loosen screws, clamps etc. Also there are plenty of parts out there and it doesn't need much of skills from someone to fix one of these Scooters, does it? So maybe what I am asking is, if I buy one and before start to enjoy it just take it all apart and then put it back together in way I think it should be done, do I have to expect any serious problems?
And my final question is, will 150cc scooter be powerful enough for a 260lb guy to commute around in 20-30miles area at about 40-45mph hopefully 50mph?

DesertDog
05-10-2008, 11:34 PM
ruddy, that name sounds familar, but nonetheless

first things first, not a bad idea to take it apert, probly not all the way,

get a new bottle of lock tite , and go to town ,( on the bike i mean ) on every nut and bolt (except the brake caliper)

clean out the gas tank(with air hose before you put gas in it), maybe even the carb, these china carbs are natorious for metal shavings and other forigne objects..

take a break

drain the oil, add what you like , some here like castrol here,

get it registered/licensed ? :?:

and yes a 150cc will do you fine just dont expect miracles without the mods.>>>>> i would get right to the top and get a 250cc and that way you and yours truly can ride into town together for an icecream on sat nite

welcome to china riders and goodluck
DD

warrior91
05-11-2008, 12:21 PM
What I have gleaned from scooter guys is The liquid cooled motors are the ones to stay away from...Overheating constantly and leak like sieves...

The 150cc fan cooled scooter engine in my sons ATV will pull My son/ myself/ and a midsized ATV up to 43MPH... but that is probably a total weight of 450-500 lbs. sprockets can be changed for speed/power and the cvt clutch can be sprung and weighted to deliver power lower down or higher up the RPM range.

ejcycles
05-12-2008, 11:12 AM
ruddymart

An importer can configure the vehicles in any way they like as long as they pass DOT & EPA specs. They can cheap out on any parts that they want to. Suck as: tires, batteries, chains, electrical parts, suspension parts, etc. etc. This is why some {a lot} look the same but are not made the same.

culcune
05-12-2008, 01:46 PM
I would join scootdawgs.com as well. Member 'ACD' here on chinariders is a moderator there.

I would look at the Taiwanese companies, too. There are some premium ($) companies out there, such as CPI and Kymco who are Taiwanese. Pricier, but better quality. There are some premium Chinese companies, too, such as Qlink and Diamo to check out.