PDA

View Full Version : TFT Swap

Rider2016
06-15-2022, 11:37 AM
Well here comes the ultimate (potentially costly) experiment.

I posted a while back that I had traded an RX3 for a 2020 RX4, I was planning on buying an RX4 anyway (a 2021 that is)

So the 2020 is fine except for the one major improvement that was made to the 20221 models.....

The TFT

So, $500+ later, we have a TFT and a 2021 wiring harness. (The 2020 harness will not work with the TFT).

I guess we'll see if this spendy lil upgrade works.... (May need to change out the computer as well)

Hey it could work :shrug:

Bob Kelly
06-16-2022, 12:47 AM
Oh Boy.... that will be lots of fun to install ! just do yourself a favor and strip the bike to the frame and esentially start over ! there is a gillion doo-hickies that will need to be connected to make the TFT dash happy My TFT dash even has the tire air pressure displayed.... ! but I have no idea if you would have to replace the computer to utilise that funtion or not even if you got the wheel sensors installed.
I have a dislike for SAFETY devices like side stand warning switches that will Kill the engine if the side-stand is down and you put it in gear ! or clutch sensors that will also Kill the engine if it detects something amiss...... there is a point at which you can go too far with this kind of thing and YES they did !!!!!!
.... You may well be able to do that with the 2020 version because it probably has all that needless shit on it too.... if not you may have to get the computer too ! ...
I do NOT envy you on your task ! .... I sujest you charge the battery good !as there will be alot of trying to start the bike and there is no fire....( too many safety switches !)
My bike never takes more than 1.5 revolitions to start.... don't bother cranking it till the battery is dead if it won't fire right up ... check for spark !

..... knowing what I know about my 2021 RX4 I would NEVER attempt to do that....
but that's just me ! I have a gut feeling you can do it ...if your persistant !
and don't forget it will not crank over to try and start it if it's not in neutral...EVEN IF the clutch is in...... Kill it at a stop sign and you'll find out real quick ! very dumb on their part ! so you have to put it into neutral before the starter will work again !!!!!
side stand sensor
neutral sensor
clutch sensor ....
butt sensor ? I think they missed one ! HAHAHAHA (yah, there's no wires to the seat! whew ! )

please Keep us informed of your adventure ! chances are you'll have it on there and working great before I finish typing this ! HA !!!!
Good luck I think you'll need it !
Bob.....

Bob Kelly
06-18-2022, 09:12 AM
So RIDER .....are you making any progress on that thing ???
Bob.....

Bob Kelly
07-01-2022, 04:48 PM
You should have that thing about back together again by now eh ? have you ran into any snags so far ?
Bob........