PDA

View Full Version : Diesel motor oil shortage?

TominMO
06-22-2022, 04:01 PM
I am hearing rumblings of a difficulty in getting diesel engine motor oil, and the DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) as well. This includes Shell Rotella, which I know people on here like to use as a cheaper substitute to motorcycle oil. There is some talk about running out later this year, and going into 2023 before supplies are restored. Has to do with shortages of the raw materials needed for the additives that make diesel motor oil and DEF.

This would stop trains, semis, farm tractors, ambulances and fire trucks, etc etc in their tracks, not all at once of course, but over a period of time. If this is a real thing, forget about food getting to your grocery store.

Recommend you do a search on "diesel motor oil shortage" and read up.

tknj99
06-22-2022, 04:05 PM
Its been hard to find at the local Wally's for awhile now.. and then to order with shipping, well, went with Amazon the other day $20 for the T4 gallon

Emerikol
06-22-2022, 07:40 PM
It's hard to find at my stores out here, and we're having trouble finding aviation oil for the airplanes, too. Light aircraft engine oil is similar to diesel oil, so it's all the same kettle of fish. Oil filters are also getting harder to find.

Boatguy
06-22-2022, 09:53 PM
Just start making the China bike your primary transportation.

As we descend into a 3rd world lifestyle, we already have the perfect machines to get around on.

Soon we’ll just be putting our old, used cooking oil (canola, since an olive oil shortage is on the way) into the crank case and not thinking twice about it.

I’ve already made the china bike my primary transportation. Getting more used to it all the time

TominMO
06-23-2022, 07:56 AM
I'm starting to do a hybrid thing. Some errands require the car, like my weekly grocery/pet food run. Ain't all gonna fit in the box on the back of the Xpect. Mostly the same with trips to the hardware store. But other transportation can be done on the bike. And of course combining errands saves gas. My shopping in tiny De Soto is mostly limited to gasoline; everything else is 10 miles away in Festus.

Strictly speaking, no recreational driving at all, I would only need to put about 80 miles on the car monthly. But my best friend is 25 miles away.....

JerryHawk250
06-23-2022, 08:16 AM
I've been using my KVS as a daily driver. The only time my truck moves is on rain days or traveling to gigs with the family on the weekends.

dig4dirt
06-23-2022, 08:48 AM
I have a pending (this saturday) sale of my daily driver to carvonka

It was planned, for the summer to ride the TBR7.
Kids are home from school, so I do have the family car I can use for rainy days (misses is stay at home)(I did sell previous fam car to carvonka last july)

Plan to purchase new car in fall or a used anytime until then if I see a good deal.

I am doing T4 oil change today for the 5th change since birth, and will have 3/4gal left for 3 more changes over this summer.
Still undecided if I want to stick to T4 or go to T6 (I guess will depend on future availability)

Megadan
06-23-2022, 12:42 PM
It's petroleum based products in general. They are cutting production of certain products to make others. One of the things my new company works with is EPS supplied by shell, which they had to slow down production due to material shortages. We are just now starting to get some material in again.

There is nothing to panic about at this point. What could resolve it all in short order would be to ramp up domestic production, but you know the Biden Administration won't do that with all their Green Deal bullshit.

2LZ
06-23-2022, 12:43 PM
I'm fortunate enough to be retired and Mrs. 2LZ still works from home since Covid. I can't imagine what our gas bill would be like if she had to do her normal one hour commute, each way.

I've been using my motorcycles for all my errand running, if I don't need to haul stuff that won't fit in my rear case.

Regarding Walmart, it's our only major store out here in the sticks and they've been short on employees since Covid. They've locked up a bunch of stuff now due to theft, and since you can't find anyone to unlock a cabinet, I now order most everything online. Just last week I hit the "needs assistance" button multiple times and waited in front of the spray paint for a solid 10 minutes before giving up and leaving. Many shelves are empty, but I can't help but think, at least some of that is because they have no one to stock them.

Its_not_a_honda
06-23-2022, 07:38 PM
All these shortages are by design. First thing that was done January 2021 was shut down the pipeline. Immediately that caused 10,000 people to loose their jobs in the petroleum industry. Every policy implemented since has hurt the economy. Nobody could be this dumb. So it has to be by design.

dig4dirt
06-23-2022, 08:19 PM
Listen all y'all, it's a Sabotage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE&ab_channel=BeastieBoysVEVO

Boatguy
06-23-2022, 08:50 PM
Moar!!!!!

My old faves

Went as this one year for Halloween and as “Intergalactic” a different year

Listen all y'all, it's a Sabotage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE&ab_channel=BeastieBoysVEVO

TominMO
11-04-2022, 09:03 AM
That video looks like a typical day in my life. Then I have lunch.

Here is a current article about the diesel situation:
https://www.newsweek.com/diesel-shortage-hit-these-seven-states-hardest-us-energy-1756300

We are no longer energy self-sufficient, as of Jan. 20th, 2021. Our Strategic Petroleum Reserve has been intentionally depleted in recent months for no good reason. Couple that with the need to ship LNG to Europe, due to the Nordstream pipelines being destroyed. (Does anyone seriously think the Russians destroyed their own multi-billion dollar pipeline, when they control the Off switch in Moscow? That would be pointless and stupid. There are far cheaper ways to conduct a false flag operation if the Russians wanted to.) And if we do end up going to war, that also is a massive use of diesel fuel, which will have to come from the domestic market. All forms of transportation will suffer, to include deliveries to all types of retail outlets. Including grocery stores.

Plan accordingly.

Wild Dog
11-25-2022, 09:08 AM
That video looks like a typical day in my life. Then I have lunch.

Here is a current article about the diesel situation:
https://www.newsweek.com/diesel-shortage-hit-these-seven-states-hardest-us-energy-1756300

We are no longer energy self-sufficient, as of Jan. 20th, 2021. Our Strategic Petroleum Reserve has been intentionally depleted in recent months for no good reason. Couple that with the need to ship LNG to Europe, due to the Nordstream pipelines being destroyed. (Does anyone seriously think the Russians destroyed their own multi-billion dollar pipeline, when they control the Off switch in Moscow? That would be pointless and stupid. There are far cheaper ways to conduct a false flag operation if the Russians wanted to.) And if we do end up going to war, that also is a massive use of diesel fuel, which will have to come from the domestic market. All forms of transportation will suffer, to include deliveries to all types of retail outlets. Including grocery stores.

Plan accordingly.

There are always a small group people with enough power, they are from different countries, they have different religions but one main goal, profit even if that means screwing the whole world.

Mudflap
11-25-2022, 10:35 AM
Last week I ordered a 5 qt jug of 0W20 oil from Amazon and the expected delivery date is January 18th!

cheesy
11-25-2022, 10:54 AM
Plenty of Shell Rotella 10-40 at Wlaiiy World last Wednesday.