PDA

View Full Version : My 2021 RPS Magician Build (Big Bore)

BrokeAss
06-26-2022, 02:14 PM
Hello All!

I'm a bike builder/mechanic and powder coater by trade. I became interested in these bikes from watching MotoCheez on YouTube. Not much in the way of legal off-roading here in Ohio so I chose the Magician over the Hawk. Paid $1314.00 shipped to my door. Before it even shipped I made a list of "must address" from MotoCheez and from this forum - things like Loctite, VM26, Nibbi coil, new oil, gel battery, new plug wire and cap, new plug, new tubes, and some way to address the ever-failing speedo cable. I also ditched the turn signals for LED and bought an LED H4 headlight bulb.

Buddy of mine has a 3D printer farm so he went about printing me a new gauge pod that mimicked the original but made way for a GPS speedometer off Amazon. He saved the file so anyone with a Magician who wants to make the switch, send me a PM. He also printed me a kevlar chain guide that actually guides the chain but said he's not interested in making any more of those.

Later I was contacted by a customer with a Janus Halcyon 250 that uses the same engine as the Hawk/Magician except it's counterbalanced. He complained of insufficient top speed. My 3D printer buddy also has a dyno and does head work. He builds 20hp Groms. I collaborated with him to work on the Halcyon which led to him contacting a former partner at Janus who left the company and now makes power kits for them. What he was missing was someone with porting/polishing experience so now the two guys have partnered up to offer true 250cc kits for these engines which include new cylinders, flat top pistons with zero deck height, new cams, and 28mm Nibbi carbs. My Magician became one of five mules so far and the gains have been impressive. The most my engine made with a VM26 was 12hp/11lbs at the wheel, with a serious drop off up top to just 9hp/7lbs, and now pulls 18.4hp/17lbs to the wheel with a nice flat curve. Prior my bike would do maybe 55mph and sounded like it was coming apart. With a 17-tooth front sprocket it now does 70mph. Honestly the bike could use an even bigger front sprocket or a 6th gear.

Anyway...it's been a fun and interesting build and I'm glad to have done it.

BrokeAss
06-26-2022, 02:20 PM
Pics:

BrokeAss
06-26-2022, 02:23 PM
Pics 2:

BrokeAss
06-26-2022, 02:27 PM
Pics 3:

BrokeAss
06-26-2022, 02:29 PM
Pics 4:

BrokeAss
06-26-2022, 02:32 PM
Pics 5:

BrokeAss
06-26-2022, 02:33 PM
Pics 6:

Matt DeGroat
06-26-2022, 08:59 PM
Wow! That's really cool to see so much attention given to a Magician. I have one that I use as an occasional commuter. Does that speedometer work well?

olds_cool63
06-26-2022, 10:34 PM
Super impressed!

BrokeAss
06-26-2022, 11:00 PM
Wow! That's really cool to see so much attention given to a Magician. I have one that I use as an occasional commuter. Does that speedometer work well?

Yup! Takes a minute to find the towers if it hasn't been ridden in a week but after that it's spot on and the needle is steady. Was $85 on Amazon.

BrokeAss
06-26-2022, 11:01 PM
Super impressed!

Thanks! Was fun and interesting getting here.