PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a X-Pro Templar..

riddlerap
07-12-2022, 12:51 AM
I read that 20+ page about the Templar and then realized a lot of the posts were about the Templar X, which seems to be discontinued. The search function won't work for me on the site on mobile, so hopefully this hasn't been asked before but.. what are the main differences between the X and the regular one?

I was considering the Apollo 250 but then saw the Templar had the lights and most of the stuff required to title and register it. This will be my first bike ever, and I've seen all the comments about upgrading/changing diff things like the carb and sprockets etc Really just want to make sure the Templar (non X model) can be upgraded/tuned just like the X. Mostly looking to add HP so that it can go faster for road speeds, although I do plan to use it on trails most of the time, but I live in a rural area where 55 mph streets are common and I don't wanna top out right at the speed limit.

Edit: somehow in the last 4 hours the Templar was taken off Amazon, which is where I planned on buying. Now kinda lost and might just do the Apollo. I guess technically I'd have the same questions about the Apollo for upgrading.

2nd edit: Templar is on powersportsmax so I could still do that
. Original questions/concerns stand.

Huck369
07-12-2022, 07:13 AM
The only real difference is the suspension, the Templar X comes with fully adjustable forks and Shock, the Templar comes with only pre-load adjustment on the Shock, and no adjustment on the forks.....but still has upside down forks.

Thumper
07-12-2022, 07:25 AM
Standard Templar 250 still has the same engine as the X. It also has the folding short shifter, bear claw foot pegs, beefy swingarm with heavy duty axel adjusters, much heavier spokes and heavier cast alloy hubs than you will find on any of the dual sports, roller style throttle, and unlike the X, the frame is not black (painted color lime green, red, orange, blue, etc or whatever the options are available)

What's missing? Well the inverted front forks are not adjustable like they are on the X (preload only, not damping). Rear shock also not adjustable. Standard Templar does get a stainless steel exhaust system, but no luggage rack.. I can't tell if there are adjustable levers that did come on my X (photos just don't show that). The engine guard is also missing, and I think the carb is not polished (smoothbore on the X). I think that's all of the differences- it does have the kill switch.

I have been impressed with build quality of Templar X. Welds are excellent, and components are definitely above average. I don't know if Zuumav has ever imported anything to US market before these two bikes, but the build quality demonstrates that Zuumav has been building enduros for racing for years. They know how to build excellent frames. There are mounts for twin radiators on my frame, so this frame probably gets a 300 cc liquid cooled engine in other markets. It is clearly strong enough to handle that power. I will probably eventually do that!

Nutcracker
07-12-2022, 07:39 AM
Templar is a completely different frame measuring 6 inch's shorter wheelbase. Not sure of manufacturer. TemplarX has similar frame as Kayo T4, TM38 EGL A16 etc. Leaving more room for engine upgrades and cargo space.

Thumper
07-12-2022, 08:07 AM
Templar is a completely different frame measuring 6 inch's shorter wheelbase. Not sure of manufacturer. TemplarX has similar frame as Kayo T4, TM38 EGL A16 etc. Leaving more room for engine upgrades and cargo space.

Yes. I read this when the Templar came out earlier this year. The X frame is powdercoated too. But I am not sure this is not a Zuumav product. All of the shared components are alike. No one has posted ANY information on Twemplar 250 here yet. No one has bought one and described it here yet. A good set of close up pictures and a review would be nice.

I am going to contact PowersportsMax and ask if they are planning another lot of the X model. But as of right now, July 12th they are still listing the standard Templar for $1599 ($300 shipping, I think). Gone from Amazon, but it is cheaper directly from Powersportsmax anyway.

riddlerap
07-12-2022, 08:55 AM
I'll probably be taking the plunge on one today, so when it gets here, I could update every one. I saw someone on YouTube say that Henner sells a custom suspension set for the Templar, so long term I could buy that maybe. I wonder how much the size/space difference would make on being able to modify. I saw Henners big bore engine upgrade, I can't tell if it's for the X or both.

riddlerap
07-12-2022, 08:59 AM
Would anyone recommend the Apollo over the Templar since I can't get the X version? How easy would adding lights and mirrors be to a bike? The Apollo has a bigger wheelbase, so I don't know if that would make it better for modifications and whatnot

Thumper
07-12-2022, 09:22 AM
I like the engine on the Templar (ZS172FMM), and the Templar frame appears a bit more substantial. But the extra length of the frame on the Apollo might be good. The Templar comes with a 520 chain/sprockets. Can't tell with the Apollo.

riddlerap
07-12-2022, 09:31 AM
I like the engine on the Templar (ZS172FMM), and the Templar frame appears a bit more substantial. But the extra length of the frame on the Apollo might be good. The Templar comes with a 520 chain/sprockets. Can't tell with the Apollo.

Being so new to this thing, I just have no idea which to go with! I'm leaning Templar. One thing I found weird is that the Apollo claims 70+ mph whereas Templar claims only 60+ out of the box. Both seem to be solid, I just hope I'm not screwing myself long-term by getting a bike I can't upgrade.

Thumper
07-12-2022, 09:50 AM
Being so new to this thing, I just have no idea which to go with! I'm leaning Templar. One thing I found weird is that the Apollo claims 70+ mph whereas Templar claims only 60+ out of the box. Both seem to be solid, I just hope I'm not screwing myself long-term by getting a bike I can't upgrade.

I can tell you from experience that the Templar X is geared down with a 49Tooth rear sprocket and a 13T front sprocket. I did not look... maybe the number of teeth on the sprockets is listed on the specs for the Templar 250?
Personally I like that low gearing for off road riding, but a 42 or 39T rear sprocket will increase top speed, and the 172FMM engine has plenty of power to go 70mpg.

Replacing the rear sprocket is not a difficult job. And you will need a chain break to shorten the chain. That's also pretty easy. People change sprockets and discuss it on the forum all the time.

JerryHawk250
07-12-2022, 09:59 AM
I don't know what kind of money you have to spend but if you are looking for something right out the box that can run 75+ mph you might want to look at the Lifan KPX 250. It's has a 250cc engine that puts out 20 hp and has a 6 speed transmission. It is also fuel injected and street legal so there is no issue on getting ir registered and tagged unless you are in California. It also has a full 2 year 12,000 mile warranty with excellent after sales support. well worth the extra money. No need to change sprockets or worry about tuning a carb. Right now i think Venom Motorsports is about the only place that are selling them. Venom is also a excellent dealer to deal with. I just picked one up a few weeks ago. https://www.venommotorsportsusa.com/products/venom-kpx250-250cc-dual-sport-motorcycle-fuel-injected-street-legal

riddlerap
07-12-2022, 10:19 AM
I don't know what kind of money you have to spend but if you are looking for something right out the box that can run 75+ mph you might want to look at the Lifan KPX 250. It's has a 250cc engine that puts out 20 hp and has a 6 speed transmission. It is also fuel injected and street legal so there is no issue on getting ir registered and tagged unless you are in California. It also has a full 2 year 12,000 mile warranty with excellent after sales support. well worth the extra money. No need to change sprockets or worry about tuning a carb. Right now i think Venom Motorsports is about the only place that are selling them. Venom is also a excellent dealer to deal with. I just picked one up a few weeks ago. https://www.venommotorsportsusa.com/products/venom-kpx250-250cc-dual-sport-motorcycle-fuel-injected-street-legal

Appreciate the idea, I'm looking to stay under or right at $2k. I don't mind work needing to be done, I have an extremely handy neighbor and am looking forward to learning how to work on it.
I'm about 99% all in on the Templar, so I will keep people posted when I get it and learn more about the parts and everything!

riddlerap
07-12-2022, 10:19 AM
I can tell you from experience that the Templar X is geared down with a 49Tooth rear sprocket and a 13T front sprocket. I did not look... maybe the number of teeth on the sprockets is listed on the specs for the Templar 250?
Personally I like that low gearing for off road riding, but a 42 or 39T rear sprocket will increase top speed, and the 172FMM engine has plenty of power to go 70mpg.

Replacing the rear sprocket is not a difficult job. And you will need a chain break to shorten the chain. That's also pretty easy. People change sprockets and discuss it on the forum all the time.

Okay thanks, this makes me feel better!

riddlerap
07-12-2022, 10:45 AM
Yes. I read this when the Templar came out earlier this year. The X frame is powdercoated too. But I am not sure this is not a Zuumav product. All of the shared components are alike. No one has posted ANY information on Twemplar 250 here yet. No one has bought one and described it here yet. A good set of close up pictures and a review would be nice.

I am going to contact PowersportsMax and ask if they are planning another lot of the X model. But as of right now, July 12th they are still listing the standard Templar for $1599 ($300 shipping, I think). Gone from Amazon, but it is cheaper directly from Powersportsmax anyway.

I just called them and they said in 2 weeks they should be restocked. Now I wonder if it's worth waiting for.

For anyone who did buy a Templar X, what was the cost? If it's hundreds more than the Templar, I might just take their Prime Day sale price today.

Thumper
07-12-2022, 10:51 AM
That's the Templar 250 they have now, not the X 250. As I recall I paid $1850 for the X (plus $300 shipping).
Oh. You called. Missed that. The X might be $1900 when they reintroduce, but it is worth every penny.

Thumper
07-12-2022, 10:52 AM
That's the Templar 250, not the X 250 they have now. As I recall I paid $1850 for the X (plus $300 shipping).

riddlerap
07-12-2022, 11:00 AM
That's the Templar 250 they have now, not the X 250. As I recall I paid $1850 for the X (plus $300 shipping).
Oh. You called. Missed that. The X might be $1900 when they reintroduce, but it is worth every penny.

Gotcha. They also told me they will be having another sale after the Prime Day one, so maybe the X will be a bit less.

riddlerap
07-12-2022, 08:36 PM
Looks like PSM just pulled the regular Templar off their site now. But like I said, allegedly new stock of the X in a couple weeks.. the wait is gonna kill me.

Edit: regular Templar back up on their site. Idk wtf they're doing.

Thumper
07-13-2022, 05:00 AM
I heard back from powersportsmax and she confirmed that they are getting more X models.

riddlerap
07-13-2022, 08:10 AM
I heard back from powersportsmax and she confirmed that they are getting more X models.

I might call again today and see if they'd put me on a waiting list or something so I don't go crazy checking the site every few hours

riddlerap
07-16-2022, 07:53 PM
Looking at the Apollo DB-36 or AGB-36.. not sure the differences. I don't know if I can wait the 2 months for Templar X stock. Plus with the money saved, I could just add lights/mirrors probably. I made a thread with a ton of questions under Pure Dirt. Hopefully people have answers.

Blueridge boyieee
07-17-2022, 07:51 AM
I have a Templar base non x. It’s the same deal as the X without the adjustable suspension & rack. It’s has the heavy spokes, smooth bore carb & roller throttle.

The gearing is the same, way too low for dual sporting 55mph. Mine has been great, with a few little snags - the welding on the right side (most of them including x, have sloppy right side welds) would grade a D. The left side welds would grade a solid B.

The sprockets won’t align very well stock. It takes some fiddling to get the chain to run smooth.

The front brake on mine has sloppy mounting on the caliper. During heavy breaking the bottom of the caliper would interfere with the peaks of the waves on the rotor, causing a rum-rum-rum sound during heavy breaking. This is after greasing the pins and bedding the pads. My solution was to clearance the bottom of the caliper with the dremel.

Other than those minor deals it’s been a fun 300 miles so far. Be prepared for full disassembly, greasing and torquing. Stir fry dual sport has good videos on the RXB and they helped me along the way.

My mods so far…are, a 42T rear sprocket and recently added an Orion RXB head pipe and muffler. 72MPH indicated downhill with a tailwind. Next will be a 14T front and possibly some heavier clutch springs.

I’m far to lazy too resize or double post pics and I know pics are the key, so let me know and we’ll work a way.

Seamonkey
07-11-2023, 03:16 PM
Did you end up buying the Templar 250? I bought it and it arrived about 2 weeks ago now. I've built it and have 100+ miles on it so far. I'd love to answer any questions you may have about it so far. I'm going to try to put a new carb on it soon. Trying to figure out if I need a Nibbi 30mm or 28mm carb. I've seen both in forums online. But, the stock carb does ok, it just boggs if you wrench on the throttle from 0-5%. If you're already throttling above 5%, there is no issue at all. I'm at 3,000 feet of elevation, btw.

Thumper
07-11-2023, 09:41 PM
Did you end up buying the Templar 250? I bought it and it arrived about 2 weeks ago now. I've built it and have 100+ miles on it so far. I'd love to answer any questions you may have about it so far. I'm going to try to put a new carb on it soon. Trying to figure out if I need a Nibbi 30mm or 28mm carb. I've seen both in forums online. But, the stock carb does ok, it just boggs if you wrench on the throttle from 0-5%. If you're already throttling above 5%, there is no issue at all. I'm at 3,000 feet of elevation, btw.

Not sure who you are referring to "end up buying the Templar 250". I did.

The original carburetor is a smoothbore Youall and it is better than most cheap aftermarket carbs.

You need to open it up and rejet. That's all...
https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=32177

look at post #4

Or spend money on a new carb and start all over. Your choice.