PDA

View Full Version : Tire pressure suggestions

H0tsauce
09-30-2022, 07:08 PM
Every link that google gives me regarding tire pressure says "start with the tire pressure your manufacturer recommends in the owner's manual". My bike didn't come with an owner's manual, so I'm at a loss here. The pressure I've been using for the past year or so has worn the tire in a way that apparently means it's over-inflated. I don't actually know what that pressure was because I didn't install the tire, and I ran over a nail and the tire is now flat so I don't even have "less than that" as a starting point.

It's a 300lb bike and I'm around 185. My riding is mainly suburban and country roads with some highway. Can anyone suggest a decent pressure for street riding?

Thanks in advance!

Falkon45
09-30-2022, 07:13 PM
What size tires? Tire manufacturer?

H0tsauce
10-01-2022, 12:22 PM
Dunlop Roadsport 2 tires, size is 200/55ZR-17

franque
10-01-2022, 01:05 PM
If it's a street bike (sounds like it, based on tire size), I would suggest 35F/40R.

Oldenslow
10-01-2022, 03:43 PM
For Pete's sake, get a tire gauge. "I don't actually know what that pressure was because I didn't install the tire" reflects an attitude that does not bode well for your motorcycling future. Your bike probably has a label on it giving tire inflation pressures; the tire will have max pressure stated on it. Generally, you're looking at pressures in the 28 to 36 pound range. Somewhere in the middle (32-ish) will do.

Deckard_Cain
10-05-2022, 09:35 AM
For Pete's sake, get a tire gauge. "I don't actually know what that pressure was because I didn't install the tire" reflects an attitude that does not bode well for your motorcycling future. Your bike probably has a label on it giving tire inflation pressures; the tire will have max pressure stated on it. Generally, you're looking at pressures in the 28 to 36 pound range. Somewhere in the middle (32-ish) will do.

I read that too and cringed... badly.. It's on par with "I don't know how much gas is in it because I didn't put it in".