PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic drums

motomech2002
10-21-2022, 02:42 AM
Hey, so I have an Italika ATV200 (great rig, BTW) that I bought in Baja Mex. I like everything about it except for the joke frt. brk.s.
I saw this mod on You Tube about a year ago and decided to try it, it's titled:
"Converting Chinese ATV front drum brakes to hydraulic"
As the guy recommended, I bought a "Hydraulic Twin Disc Brake Calipers System + Pads 150cc 250cc Quad Dirt Bike ATV" and a pair of little slave cyl.s(they are really for a motorcycle)on Ebay for about $100.
The disc brk cyl.s are not used, just the h.bar mounted master cyl (w/ lever), the hoses and junction box. It took an afternoon to install w/ no major problems, the most time consuming task was finding the best compromise for the location of the junction box given the length of hoses (They don't twist much). I ended up mounting it on the left frame downtube w/ a couple of HD zip-ties.
So how does it work? I would say it now provides about half of the power of real discs would give. It will almost lock-up the brk.s in a panic stop on hard-pack using the frt.s only. Way better than almost nothing of the originals.
Highly recommended.
P.S. I also installed Dr. Pulley sliders which I would also recommend. If you get the right weights in there, you can gain a few mph's w/ no loss in torque. I was fairly certain of the weights I needed, but bought two different sets that kind of strattled the value I thought I needed. They can be mixed-matched, 3 and 3 to get an in-between value, and that is what I enden up doing. The good thing about this approach is I now have an extra set the same value of whats in there now. There was little wear when I took the CVT apart to adjust the weights. The original rollers showed wear even afer a few dozen hr.s.