PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the Inside of a Fiberglass Oil Tank

2LZ
02-03-2023, 05:51 PM
Tossing this out to my fellow Chinarider genius's.

The oil tank on my BSA is fiberglass. It's been empty for years. There's no real chunks or heavy sludge, but there is the skin of sticky oil slime lining the walls.

The internet has a ton of conflicting info regarding different fluids like acetone, mineral spirits, Brakleen, etc.... and everyone agrees on Dawn and hot water, but there's no instant gratification.

So....what would you guys use???? Any fiberglass-seasoned veterans here?

david3921
02-05-2023, 09:36 PM
I would start with stuff that is less harsh. Rubbing alcohol at 70%, then 90%. Is there any mention of WD40? Vinegar? I just think acetone is way too harsh. Yeah it will get the oil off but I think it would soften up the plastic in the fiberglass. Hmmm...what about gasoline? Another thought: Seafoam has isopropyl alcohol and naptha in it. It also has something called pale oil. Maybe worth a shot.

2LZ
02-06-2023, 02:23 AM
I would start with stuff that is less harsh. Rubbing alcohol at 70%, then 90%. Is there any mention of WD40? Vinegar? I just think acetone is way too harsh. Yeah it will get the oil off but I think it would soften up the plastic in the fiberglass. Hmmm...what about gasoline? Another thought: Seafoam has isopropyl alcohol and naptha in it. It also has something called pale oil. Maybe worth a shot.
Thanks for the input, david! I ended up going this route and so far, so good.

I used a spray can of Brakleen, shook the hell out of it, and dumped it, three times. Then hosed it out with our well water. Then I sprayed it out with WD40 a couple times. Then more water.

After that, I filled my 13 gallon trash can with hot water and Dawn. Dropped the tank in and and let is sit overnight.

Hosed it out today and after a 15 minute session with Mrs. 2LZ blow dryer, it looks brand new inside. Let's hope it doesn't go into meltdown.

Boatguy
02-06-2023, 12:12 PM
It’ll definitely be fine. Fiberglass can stand up to every one of those things you threw at it with ease. No matter what the resin.