PDA

View Full Version : New member from KY

Hopper055
02-17-2023, 07:45 PM
Hello everyone, My name is Phillip and I am from Central KY close to Lexington. I have worked in auto parts for the better part of a decade. I joined because I would like to put a Chinese motor into my 1980 Honda XL185s. I bought the bike a couple of years ago the PO said it needed a top end. After rebuilding the top end I found that the bottom end needs some work. The rod is tight but I am getting chunks in the oil from somewhere in the trans. I plan to split the cases eventually so that I can keep it original but I would really like to get it on the trails this summer. I Have a fair bit of experience with small engines I have collected Honda three wheelers for over a decade. I swapped a 110 into a ATC 70 and I have worked on some Chinese quads for my friends and neighbors. I have plenty of questions though as I'm out of my element I will save them for a dedicated thread. I'm currently getting pictures so I can better explain my troubles. I just wanted to share a little about myself my background and what has brought me here before I start asking questions.

XLsior
02-17-2023, 11:59 PM
Hi Hopper,
I basically just finished my XL185s/CG250 swap...

https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=27213

So to answer the question is it possible...yes

JerryHawk250
02-18-2023, 03:13 AM
Welcome aboard!

Bruces
02-18-2023, 07:40 AM
That should be a 1979 bike ,and should be very easy to swap or rebuild the original tranny .They are great bikes to mess with and they worked very well ,and from your picture yours looks to be pretty complete and descent .Have fun !

cheesy
02-18-2023, 07:50 AM
Hiya.

Ahh, chunks of metal in oil. The start of a bad time.

Hopper055
02-18-2023, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I've done a fair bit of research on this swap. I know it's been done several times. And has been fairly well documented. My questions have to do with electrical and parts compatibility. I should have the rest of the pictures of the donor motor tonight. And I will make my question thread then.
The previous owner dented the original tank and found a very clean 79 tank. I'm currently trying to get a title for this bike.
I'm excited for the engine. In my limited experience with China bikes and quads the frames let got far before the motors. I've pulled two 110 motors from frames that have failed.

XLsior
02-18-2023, 03:29 PM
The original wiring loom could probably handle a 6v to 12v slice conversion.

I opted to sell the original loom and use an ebay chinsy 'complete wiring kit' Which ending up causing some headaches either way (and I recommend up-rating the ground and live 12v wires)

I frazzled the loom a few times...1st time was the low gauge ground wire...the rest was was my fault for some dumb reason or another.

That being said the circuitry outlay is not that complicated.

Hopper055
02-19-2023, 03:28 PM
The original wiring loom could probably handle a 6v to 12v slice conversion.

I opted to sell the original loom and use an ebay chinsy 'complete wiring kit' Which ending up causing some headaches either way (and I recommend up-rating the ground and live 12v wires)

I frazzled the loom a few times...1st time was the low gauge ground wire...the rest was was my fault for some dumb reason or another.

That being said the circuitry outlay is not that complicated.
The plan is to modify a spare atc 200e harness that I have from a previous project. I would like to keep the stock harness intact so I can go back to stock eventually. After quite a bit of research I have found out that my stator is an A/C stator. So wiring this up like a trike should work. If not I will buy a harness from Amazon.

Hopper055
02-19-2023, 05:54 PM
Hi Hopper,
I basically just finished my XL185s/CG250 swap...

https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=27213

So to answer the question is it possible...yes

Thank you for showing me your thread. I'm not quite sure how. But somehow I missed it. I'm currently trying to get a title to get the bike registered. I'm doing the swap either way. I just want to know where I stand. I've read a thread here about how to legally obtain a title and I might go that route. I am currently waiting on a stator for the donor motor. The old stator's exciter coil read very low ohms. I would like to hear the motor run before I pull it.

XLsior
02-19-2023, 06:08 PM
Yeah I didn't have to deal with the USA title issues...being in Australia a proof of sale/owner transfer document was enough. Had my own bureaucratic issues to jump through and there was doubt the engine swap would pass the roadworthy inspection...