PDA

View Full Version : Vader 125cc vm22 problems

Tex
03-30-2023, 02:02 PM
Hi all, first post, bought an X-pro X7 with 8 miles on it on Monday, not running of course so I got a great deal. I deleted all the emissions junk and put on a vm22 knockoff, it won’t idle, it’ll crank with the choke, idle way up a few seconds and dies when I cut the choke off, it also hiccups badly when it does idle. Doesn’t really matter where the pilot jet is but I can get it to idle somewhat at 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 out but it’ll die when I give it throttle input, the gasket on the engine to intake side ends up covered in gas at this point so it seems like maybe it’s dumping a crapload of fuel? I don’t have any other jets other than what came in it, but I’m wondering if maybe I have an air leak issue first and foremost because the gasket shouldn’t get wet with gas if it’s making a seal right? I barely get any time to work on it as I work 2 jobs and was hoping some of you smart clone guys can help me troubleshoot this. I’m pretty good mechanically, but I’m not used to anything carbed, I work mostly with diesels and fuel injection. My brother is a whiz though so I’m gonna have him work on it today and send him here to this post to get an idea of where to start. Thanks -Barrett

Tex
03-30-2023, 02:39 PM
I know part of my problem is I’m having to pull the carb to adjust the pilot jet, I want a nibbi but the wife don’t want me spending that much. If I could adjust while it’s on the bike it would make this whole process a whole lot easier.

JerryHawk250
03-30-2023, 02:59 PM
You might need to check float height or if float valve is not leaking letting too much fuel into the carb.

Tex
03-30-2023, 03:08 PM
I actually haven’t pulled the bowl off yet, it should be level when turned upside down correct?

JerryHawk250
03-30-2023, 03:11 PM
Yes.

Tex
03-30-2023, 03:18 PM
We will pull it off this afternoon and have a look at it and see if it’s possible that could be the problem.

JerryHawk250
03-30-2023, 03:25 PM
Does the carb mount level or at an angle? If at an angle you will have to adjust the float level for the angle.

dirtbkr188
03-30-2023, 03:42 PM
When you take the bowl off to check the float level, see if your pilot and main jets match the ones in the picture below.
Also, is the VM22 Mikuni-clone you installed one you had lying around, or one you purchased new?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/752/AW561A.jpg

dirtbkr188
03-30-2023, 04:06 PM
You also might want to consider one of THESE (https://tboltusa.com/store/tusk-fuel-screw-in-black-p-10604.html) to make tuning the VM22 a lot easier

Tex
03-30-2023, 05:28 PM
The previous owner had bought it and handed it to me still in the box, I did not personally purchase it, it actually sits at a slight angle when mounted, not exactly sure how I’d set the floats to compensate, but this makes sense as the idle sometimes changes when I stand the bike up off the kickstand

Tex
03-31-2023, 01:05 PM
So I rode it for the first time today, just around my place, didn’t want to take it on the highway, it runs perfect with the choke on, idles right where it needs to at about 1500 rpm, so some things I’m going to do first, replace the gas with some good quality 93, try and clean the carb and see if it’s a possibility the pilot jet has a blockage, and replace the petcock and fuel filter. I’ll try these first and I’m hoping everything works as should.

Tex
04-05-2023, 03:36 PM
Is it possible a big enough exhaust leak can make it run awful?

dirtbkr188
04-05-2023, 04:25 PM
Yes, if the exhaust isn't fully seated in the exhaust port, it creates a lean condition, causing the bike to run hot.