PDA

View Full Version : India made Harley Davidsons

Texas Pete
09-14-2023, 07:03 PM
You may have heard of the Chinese made Harley Davidson motorcycles but you may have not seen the Harley designed and made by Hero Motors in India.

https://youtu.be/qhWU_iEWJaU?feature=shared

Thumper
09-14-2023, 09:34 PM
It is not surprising that it isn't a 1000+ displacement motorcycle. US market is geared towards 650cc and up for road bikes. The rest of the world is different.

I like the comments about torque coming in EARLY, counterbalancing, and fuel economy. The torque would be and important characteristic in the USA! That is the domain of the V-twin! I owned a V-Strom DL1000. Nice.

Magician16
09-15-2023, 07:29 AM
Personally I prefer that 440 to what Harley sells in the USA.

Texas Pete
09-15-2023, 09:03 AM
Personally I prefer that 440 to what Harley sells in the USA.

It’s actually a bit charming in its way and what they’ve done with the long stroke oil-air cooled thumper to me shows what the new Himilayan 450 could have been if Royal Enfield stuck with the same engine formula rather than going to water cooled to get higher compression ratios to extract more out of their engine.

2LZ
09-15-2023, 12:37 PM
I like it. India is really looking at bikes differently compared to the rest of the world. Like both my RE's, while not "powerful" by US standards, all the available power, is usable from down low through mid-range. Makes them super friendly to ride.
The other aspect they're chasing it seems is MPG, compared to the other manu's. My Scram is still averaging 74 MPG, after being modded. Not bad for a 411cc bike. My 650 Interceptor is getting around 60+.