PDA

View Full Version : Honda finally imports Transalp to USA shores

Texas Pete
09-20-2023, 08:18 PM
Honda brings the Transalp to the USA. Only the single color, ugly gray black available unlike the colors in European markets but at least it's available.

https://powersports.honda.com/motorcycle/adventure/transalp

Sport Rider
09-21-2023, 08:50 AM
Nice looking bike regardless of color. the price point, if it holds, is very good for a Honda. Slightly less $ than the Tenere 700. Weight is in the same area as most others in this class at 459.

Thumper
09-21-2023, 10:22 AM
Yes, Officially it is
459 pounds (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride)

Nice road bike, but would I take a chance on a forest road if it had loose rock and potholes? And it is tall, so the weight will be up higher. This will make picking up the bike a serious challenge after a spill.

Add a tank bag and/or tail pack, and it would get even heavier, with the weight shifted even higher!

I really see adventure touring bikes as road bikes. KLR 650 is 456lbs this year. I just don't get it.

Suzuki's V-Strom 650 XT adventure without any accessories is 476 lb, but as sold set up for adventure tour with hard bags and engine guards it is 528 lb

Suzuki's DR650S, on the other hand, is 366 lb. The DR Z400 is lighter at 317 lbs.
I would take one of these into more "adventure"

Texas Pete
09-21-2023, 10:41 AM
The newly designed engine on this model outclasses all others on the market of the above by a healthy margin and the torque claim is second to Suzuki.

The choice will be between riders wanting spartan simplicity of say the Tenere or the bells and whistles and new short stroke engine of the Transalp which gains six gears and a new electronics dash upgrade to color with a suite of rider modes. The engine is same as the new Honda Hornet CB750.

Or another way, if you spend long stretches on the pavement which is where most riders spend their time the Transalp will shine where the Tenere will shine off road.

https://mcn-images.bauersecure.com/wp-images/194587/900x0/honda_transalp_xl750_29.jpg

This is what I found on the 2023, so the 2024 will be same or improved.

Engine

Engine: 4-valve Unicam 270-degree parallel twin
Displacement: 755cc
Bore x stroke: 87mm x 63.5mm
Compression: 11.0:1
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Final drive: Chain
Horsepower: 90.5 hp @ 9,500 rpm
Torque: 55.3 lb-ft @ 7,250 rpm
Redline: 10,000 rpm
Fueling: Electronic injection
Clutch: Wet/slipper assist

Chassis, Suspension, and Brakes

Frame: Tubular steel
Front suspension: Showa 43mm SFF-CA, preload adjustable
Front travel: 7.9”
Rear suspension: Showa remote reservoir, preload-adjustable
Rear travel: 7.5”
Front brakes: Dual Nissan 2-piston calipers, 310mm rotors
Rear brakes: Single Nissan 1-piston caliper, 256mm rotor
ABS: Yes
Wheels: 21/18”, wire spoke
Tires: Metzler Karoo Street, 90/90-21 x 150/70-18

Dimensions/Capacities

Rake: 27-degrees
Trail: 4.4”
Wheelbase: 61.4”
Seat height: 33.5”
Ground clearance: 8.3”
Fuel capacity: 4.5 gal.
Weight: 459 lbs (with fuel and fluids)

Texas Pete
09-21-2023, 11:08 AM
Now that the NC750X is only available in DCT with the manual discontinued, I think this will grab those buyers as well that still want manual. If you have seen the Honda manual, is a gigantic tome the section on repairing and maintaining the DCT. You also end up lighter than the DCT NC750X.

Texas Pete
09-21-2023, 03:42 PM
From the reviewer: Looks top heavy and not manageable but is low slung soft and manageable once you climb on it. Transalp in its history has never been an off road bike, its been the street tourer with some off road capability. This changes with the latest update to being more off road capable than before. Its like the mirror image of the Tenere where the Tenere will wear you down with its lower gearing and revs on road trips that are of length while it is better on the off road side because of it.

https://youtu.be/KU6Zh-vJC94