PDA

View Full Version : Where the heck did all the 2 smokes go!?

BigBlockThumper
05-30-2008, 12:52 AM
I have been looking at different china bikes for weeks now and I have not come upon a 2 stroke bike yet, what is going on!? Do they not exist in china!? I would even be happy with a 125!! Am I missing something here or do 2 stroke full size china dirtbikes not exist? :(

DesertDog
05-30-2008, 08:08 AM
old cinese proverb say's he who smokes alot chokes alot

vewy goot obsavation there grasshopper :)

katoranger
05-30-2008, 09:26 AM
I think the only 2strokes you will find will be 50cc scooters.

Allen

ejcycles
05-30-2008, 09:30 AM
I hate having to repost stuff.... 8O :lol: :lol: Anyway Read This.

http://www.bikersrights.com/ama/EPA_end2strokes.html

katoranger
05-30-2008, 09:32 AM
EPA and greenies don't like them.

They can be made to run clean though.

Allen

BigBlockThumper
05-30-2008, 11:16 AM
I have a proveb for them "He who smoke alot go alot faster on smaller engine" :D

It's wierd that you don't see them, all the other companies have plenty of 2 stroke bikes for sale. I know in China they are tuffer on emissions maybe thats why?

TeamCheap
05-30-2008, 12:17 PM
My understanding is the 2-strokes are pretty much a thing of the past. (much like porterz-BANNED :lol: )

Anyway I guess they can come in if they are made to run clean but the cost is just not worth it so its 4 strokes from now on.

I cant wait until the day the greenies have us back in horse and buggies and then complain about the horses emissions and mandate a system for them also.
:lol:

BigBlockThumper
05-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Not exactly, see they still are making brand new 2008 2 stroke bikes and working on the 2009 for all honda, KTM and so on. They are slowly going to fade out but as of now you can still buy them in most brands. I hear Kawasaki is going to be stoping production very soon and other companies will follow but as of now they still have about 95% of the companies still making them, I even called local dealers to confirm. I am big into variety. I love thumpers but also like to race arond with explosive 2 stroke power!

They use all 2 strokes in the Aprila race streetbikes, they are mostly out of the US but some have made their way in and they go for CRAZY money. They are also very unique and very fast. 2 strokes are not dead and won't be for quite some time thankfully.

ChiGongJitsu
05-30-2008, 01:43 PM
2 strokes are for closed course competition, and the chinese bikes aren't up to par with the other major manufacturers

they'll probably introduce a 250r type bike before a 125 2 stroke....although i've wanted a 125 2 stroke for a while, lighter, cheaper to work on etc...

katoranger
05-30-2008, 01:54 PM
I believe that is what I have seen. 2-strokes for closed course use.

I don't think emissions in China are even a concern.

Allen

BigBlockThumper
05-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Closed course? That's why I posted in "Pure Dirt" instead of enduro. I ride closed course and many of my buddies have full race tracks. Around here we also ride 2 stroke race bikes in the more open woods/trail stuff. The thumpers are cool for tight woods and slower technical stuff but for the faster trails we love our race bikes. I am not sure what the rest of you ride but we ride at least 50% 2 stroke bikes for the faster woods trails in addition to closed track. In other words it sounds your like saying that the 2 stroke bikes are only suppose to be ridden on race tracks but here we ride them in the trails as well. 2 stroke bikes are more popular here and you see them more often off track. I think its because they are much lighter and easier to race around with.

AZ200cc
05-30-2008, 05:03 PM
You don't see many 2 strokes around my area...Lots of thumpers though.
I think most beginners learn on fours and stick with them, Easier than learning how to mix the gas and oil. To bad they are missing out on a very fun kind of bike. I loved my old kaw 250 2 stroke.

katoranger
05-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Closed course in my book means not on the street.

I just think the chinese are interested in competing with the japs for race bikes yet.

Allen

warrior91
05-30-2008, 08:55 PM
I really don't think they (china) is building a bike that would take a two stroke SH!t and abuse... My daughters bike is barley containing the 125 4 stroke engine...I cannot imagine the chassis could stand the instant power of a 2 smoke.

I have rode many bikes from 70cc 4 stroke to 490 2 smoke yami, 500cr...4 STROKE TRUCKS....2 strokes suck.

Crazy 2 stroke power but I have hurt myself enough with a well built 4 stroke....Have not found a place other than a track where a 2 stroke out performs a 4...My $.02 and probably means that much... :lol:
90% rider - 10% bike

BigBlockThumper
05-31-2008, 12:52 PM
I thought I would reply and share my experience for the guys out there with little 2 stroke experience.

Other then a track? How about an open straight away? :D You can ride a 400cc thumper and a 200cc 2 stroke will walk away from the bike like you just saw a deer and you locked up the brakes. :lol: You have to respect them they make explosive power, super light, easy to kick, no valves to adjust, a child can rebuilt a 2 stroke in about 15 minutes and the list goes on. The 2 stroke bikes utilize an expansion chamber that acts as a turbocharger in the mid and high rpm range. The newer 2 strokes also use added valve systems to add low and mid power for better woods riding and non racing situations. Kawasaki’s use “KIPS” other brands use their own valve systems but all can be taken out or disabled for true full out racing.

4 stroke bikes are very heavy in comparison, much harder to kick, much more engine parts to break and adjust, much less power per cc. They are preferred for many reasons including being safer for less experienced riders, longer lasting engines and not mixing gas because some people think pouring a pre measured bottle of oil into a 5 gallon gas can a chore. They are also preferred because they can make good power from a very low rpm and you can putt putt around without fouling the plugs.

Driving a real 2 stroke in tight woods would be similar to driving a full blown race car in traffic. The engine would be set up for all high end power so driving a regular car would be easier but once the traffic clears its well worth the inconvenience 8O With all that said I still like both but it bothers me when people try and disrespect them because they don't deserve it both have pro’s and con’s and it depends on your riding style and environment. I remember my first 4 stroke experience was on a newer 400cc XR Honda. I was use to riding my 125cc Honda the bike I learned on. I could not kick the 4 stroke because the compression is so much tougher then a 2 stroke. When the kid got it started about 6 or 7 kicks later I took it out for a ride praying not to stall. My first though was wow this bike is super heavy and hard to control. Then I got on it and kept hitting the rev limiter. I thought it was broken because there was no power band instead just a steady power increase from low to mid. I did not like it at all. Later on in life I decided to buy a 4 stroke also and ever since I have loved the variety of having both. I ride them in the same places. I take the 4 stroke out if I want to go slow and putt around or ride double. I take the 2 stroke out when I want to race around and kill myself. I would not part with either. Recently I added a china bike thumper to my collection I was looking forward to adding a 2 stroke china bike but I guess they don’t make them. I am planning on selling my name brand bikes and riding china because they are much more wallet friendly and what I have found is that they are not a whole lot different. Sure the china bikes don’t have quite as much power or have top of the line suspension but for the price difference in the bike and parts its not a big deal. After my friends try out my bike they tell me in compairison their bikes are a little quicker and the suspension is a little better for big jumps. I ask them if it is 4-5 thousand dollars better :lol: and that shuts them up really quick!! THAT'S WHY I AM PROUD TO RIDE CHINA AND YOU GUYS SHOULD BE TOO!!

elroyjetsn
05-31-2008, 02:25 PM
They used to overdub 2 stroke sound in movies when someone was riding a thumper to give a better sense of drama i guess?? Anyone remember "Terminator". :) The kid on the XR80.

Now, thumper sound is cooler, maybe. :)

ChiGongJitsu
05-31-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm thinking that the chinese manufacturers will be more interested in building 250r's because when you watch supercross lites races, it's pretty much all 250r's. At least that's what I hear lol

tokarev
06-08-2008, 11:33 PM
The Viva 250 I bought was my first 4 stroke dirt bike - I like it alot - alot of low end power for riding in the woods. Much more controllable power band for woods riding. The newer designs (Water cooled,overhead valve and fuel injected) must really rock.