PDA

View Full Version : Guess where i have been!

Frog
06-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Hi

these are a few pictures from my first 'proper' off road ride - about 70 miles in all 30 of these off road.

No prizes for spotting the location!

This is a view up the Old Marlborough road - an old coaching road across Salisbury Plain. This was on a decent Sunday so it definitely not too crowded!

The sat nav is a near essential as there are a lot of tracks many of which you can ride on but then again many which you can't - and I mean can't - the warnings about unexploded ordinance are dead serious although signs say 'do not pick up any mortar bombs you find' seemed fairly redundant to me 8O My nav set up gives me a scrolling 1:50,0s 'OS' map - works very well.

Another view:

Had to dodge the one AFV (APC I think to Americans maybe..??) but other than that saw only two other bikes in the 30 miles of riding.

It's a nice big play ground :lol:

I live near the New Forest so one pic of that too - on a different day.

The bike never missed a beat and handled some Deep Muddy puddles and even a stream crossing absolutely fine - well impressed and had a whale of a time. :D

Frog

SpeedSouth
06-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Damn, that looks really cool! Is that Stonehenge? :)

I'd love to ride there...I'm jealous!

yurkia
06-02-2008, 03:10 PM
off-road?!?! I saw plenty of roads..... cool place though. lucky you. :D

liverchip
06-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Wow it's beautiful there. Nothing but desert where I ride.

Frog
06-03-2008, 05:18 PM
SpeedSouth is right that is Stonehenge and it IS really cool riding past that and the many bronze age burial mounds + a few stone age ones. I'm really lucky to have this area available and as long as the red flags aren't flying (which show the army is active / firing artillery) there are miles and miles to explore. The GY seems a really good choice to do it on.

Yurkia is right - it was mostly a dirt road ride although a few bits that were more challenging left me working at staying on the bike and moving forwards rather than taking pictures 8O. I've got 30 years on bikes but only a few miles off of black top and I have to concentrate on not falling off (not often anyway!). I will say I'm having more fun on a little dirt bike than I have had on a road bike for ages! Two main learning points thus far - sliding the back end around is great fun + grabbing a handful of front brake when it goes pear shaped is a lot less fun.....................

And Liverchip is also right :D - the South of England is beautiful (in parts at least) and has plenty of places to get off of tarmac and onto dirt roads and at least feel a little isolated and away from it all.

I'll post some more ride pics as I get out and about

Cheers

Frog

TeamCheap
06-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Those are the kinds of two-tracks that are fun to run nearly wide open on.
Nice pics.Thanks.

The one time we went near a military base (camp grayling) around here that has legal riding trails nearby we came upon a APV.
We were informed by the soldiers that they were going to be firing large artillary so needless to say we went down the road 50 miles or so to the next ride spot.

mrhyak
06-03-2008, 05:48 PM
There is a Stonehenge here in Washington too, built about 100 years ago in honor of the veterans of WWI. It sits above the Columbia river.

http://i.pbase.com/u42/devonshire/large/27178228.Stonehenge1SWF.jpg

yurkia
06-03-2008, 09:24 PM
there is CAR HENGE in nebraska

http://www.clusterballoon.org/nebraska/ne_02.jpg