PDA

View Full Version : My son bought one of these scooters

jeveretts
06-04-2008, 04:41 PM
My son needed something to get around town and to and from work on. He had about 1400.00 so we went looking around. In FL you don't need insurance or motorcycle license for a 50cc, so we limited the search for those.

First thing we looked at was a Yamaha Zuma 50cc 2004 model. It was $1000.00 and in VERY BAD shape. It was even missing the front brakes. We passed. The second one was a 2001 Yamaha Riva Razz 50cc, also this was was in pretty rough shape, and rusty and it was $900.00.

As it turns out he bought a Chinese 50cc 4stroke, for $800.00. There really isn't any name brand to speak of. On the side is says Magnum 50 and QT50-5.

Looking online it appears to be almost identical to the tank qt50-5 and the engine looks exactly the same.

He put about 15 miles on it, says it tops out at 45mph (he is 170lbs).

It honestly looks pretty good and well put together. Everything works as it should except the horn doesn't seem to blow.

I assume I will need parts at some time, anybody know where to go for the QT50-5 type?

Jerry

DesertDog
06-05-2008, 12:03 AM
any pix of that you care to show us

jeveretts
06-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Ill take some when I get home this evening. Last night I looked it all over with him, it was idling too low, but under the seat was an access panel to get to the carb, and the idle adjust was merely a stop scren on the throttle, that was quick and easy to get it idling where it needed to be.

It has drum brakes front and rear, we adjusted those also, very easy one nut on the brake cable.

So far so good. Ill post pics tonight, including some close ups of the engine, maybe somebody will be able to identify it.

katoranger
06-05-2008, 09:57 AM
You may also want to check out www.scootdawg.com for more info.

That is a huge scooter forum.

I am sure that parts should be easy to get. Bruce at EJcycles has lots of parts too.

Allen