PDA

View Full Version : 150cc Chinese

Dragon
06-18-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm looking at a few 150cc Roketa scooters. I notice something that doesn't add up. The heavier 150cc's seem to have higher top speed spec than the lighter 150cc's. For example...

Roketa Lamda 150
max speed: 45+ MPH
net weight: 220 pounds
wheel: 10-inch

Roketa Tahiti 150
max speed: 55+ MPH
net weight: 265 pounds
wheel: 13-inch

The only difference between the two bikes, besides the weight, is the wheel size. Is the bigger wheel the reason for the higher top speed? If so, then the 10-inch wheel scooter ought to have better acceleration than the 13-inch wheel scooter, right?

VinceDrake
06-18-2008, 11:34 AM
***The Following Post is based solely on Theory and GuessWork***

Theoretically(!) the larger tire/wheel will have significantly less rolling resistance, so you waste less power flexing the tire. allowing for a higher top speed, It's most noticable on old Trailers and such, with the little 8" tires they were as hard to pull as something twice their size, when converted to a 12" rim, they rolled almost effortlessly.

Also-- In my little mind at least, top speed is more a function of aerodynamics than weight. Hence why a bike is that much faster with a good racing crouch.

Or someone could have just been a little more optomistic the day they wrote up the specs for the larger scoot.

--Vince

warrior91
06-18-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm looking at a few 150cc Roketa scooters. I notice something that doesn't add up. The heavier 150cc's seem to have higher top speed spec than the lighter 150cc's. For example...

Roketa Lamda 150
max speed: 45+ MPH
net weight: 220 pounds
wheel: 10-inch

Roketa Tahiti 150
max speed: 55+ MPH
net weight: 265 pounds
wheel: 13-inch

The only difference between the two bikes, besides the weight, is the wheel size. Is the bigger wheel the reason for the higher top speed? If so, then the 10-inch wheel scooter ought to have better acceleration than the 13-inch wheel scooter, right?

Yes a 13 inch wheel rotating at same rpm as 10 wheel will travel noticbly faster...10 mph might be optimistic.

IronFist
06-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Or someone could have just been a little more optomistic the day they wrote up the specs for the larger scoot. Vince

Well that would be my guess. But hey it's just a guess.