PDA

View Full Version : Another broken spoke

fatboy250
02-05-2007, 09:21 AM
VFRrider and I went out this weekend. Had a great time! On the last leg back home doing about 50mph the rear of the bike starts stepping out and I almost buy the farm. Anyway, I had a flat as a result of another broken spoke.

What's up? Is there anything short of just buying a xr650r that with correct this? I mean I do ride it hard and show it no mercy, so at 265lbs do I just need to buy something that is fit for the job?

Does anyone know about replacement jap spokes that match up? I've never had a single jap bike break a spoke.

Jason

red2003
02-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Hey Jason,

That sucks man. It's probably a combination of things. Your weight is pushing the limits of what these bikes are rated for. I think mine says a total rider weight of 300 lbs. What about the torque on the spokes? Are you keeping them tight? Too tight?? Also, if you are beating on it, maybe don't beat it so much. 8O If you ride hard, any bike is bound to break sooner or later. You could try zip tying the spokes together where they intersect at each "X". A buddy of mine that used to race Yammi YZ250F's had spoke issues until we did this. Never broke another one after that. It makes each 2 independet spokes into one big X and is A LOT stronger. How's your dad's rear brake doing? Did dropping the fluid level help it out??

fatboy250
02-05-2007, 11:26 AM
So far it's doing ok.

I think when I replace the broken one this time I will do the zip strip thing, cause I don't know if I'll ever be able to just ride it like a normal person :lol: . However, I do think since I enjoy this type of motorcycle so much I probably will go the direction of a xr650r (street legal) in the future.

Jason

red2003
02-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Question. Is it rear or front spokes you're breaking? I assume rear. How about going with a Japanese rear wheel off eBay. I am sure you can pick up a dirtbike rear wheel on eBay for 25 or 30 bucks and make it work. Or, replace all the spokes with HD ones. All you need is the spoke length and I am sure you can get a set online somewhere. You could go with a larger diameter spoke and drill out your stock rim to fit the bigger spoke nuts. If you enjoy the bike besides this one problem, there's gotta be a fix for ya. A new rear wheel at $25 - $50 or even $100 is better then $4000+ for a new Japanese equivalent.

ambassador
02-05-2007, 12:05 PM
There is a post on here from Jet tech that explains in detail how to replace spokes and true up the rim and one of the dealers I think rpm or ejcycles said that they carry spokes..You may wanna call or e-mail one of those guys..

culcune
02-05-2007, 02:41 PM
So far it's doing ok.

I think when I replace the broken one this time I will do the zip strip thing, cause I don't know if I'll ever be able to just ride it like a normal person :lol: . However, I do think since I enjoy this type of motorcycle so much I probably will go the direction of a xr650r (street legal) in the future.

Jason

I think the Suzuki DRZ-400S is more of an off-roader than the Honda (or Suzuki) 650's are--they are dirtable, but the DR is more off-roadable. I know, I know, we are getting in to Thumpertalk territory here...

fatboy250
02-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Yeah only the rear. Any of you dealers out there with an idea about Heavy Duty spokes for these? I know they are the same exact spokes as Lifan. Honda, Suzuki, or Yamaha would have to have a similar stronger spoke, but I don't know which bike to cross reference. If someone could get me an answer to that question I will be on my way to resolving this problem once and for all.

I am partial to the "King of the Baja" XR650R, but that will have to wait. It's not so much that I ride off road, but that when I'm on road I still beat the crap out of the bike. Ask VFRrider, we jumped a set of train tracks at the crossing this weekend and I got some pretty good air. Who knows, I may have broken the spoke then and it took the rest of the day to become a real issue with the flat tire.

John22j
02-05-2007, 03:38 PM
repeated abuse of jumping 10'+ and landing on concrete broke almost half of my spokes once on an old KX.

The zip tie secret will help a little on the strength, but more importantly it will keep the spoke from puncturing your tube if one breaks -- the broken spoke stays tied to the one that didn't break (for the most part)

If you need some heavy duty ones, I would imagine Buchanan can make you anything you need... maybe send them some spokes (an inner and outer from each side unless they are the same size) and see what they can do. (I've used their spoke kits before on MX bikes and have been satisfied)

http://www.buchananspokes.com/

msRandi
02-05-2007, 03:53 PM
We dont ride that hard, but lose spokes are a way of life here too. What I plan is to up grade the rims and spokes, I think the rims are to soft. and we know the spokes are.
love from the big island

culcune
02-05-2007, 04:25 PM
MsRandi,

I had a co-worker a few years back who used to lived in Maui. He told me that he had a scooter, and the tires were always getting punctured by a plant that happens to shed its "spikes" everywhere and on the roads (I think that bikes' tires were victims, too). Do you have this problem on Hawaii?

VFRFLYER
02-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Hi

Yeah! I can vouch for Fatboy250 when he says he rides hard he has drilled the baffles out and put on a cone filter and adjusted the carb and mine is still stock with less than 100 miles. where on 2 lane back roads get behiind a car goin 55 mph and he pulls out to pass with ease mine wouldnt accelarate like his even though. he's a 100lbs heavier not a fatboy just a BIGBOY :) We had a great time except the ending. Im sure this issue can be solved. but after you blow a tire at 50 or so it's hard to trust it after that. That could of been very serious lucky for me one of the few times of the day I was a little ahead of him when it got sideways on him. I think the aftermarket spokes listed above looks like a good idea maybe I should relace mine as well. if you go to order some let me know maybe we get a quantity discount

Ray

liverchip
02-05-2007, 05:39 PM
I have been watching the spokes on mine like a hawk. Anyone have any torque specs on them. They are tight, but I would like to know how tight they should be.

Jet_Tech
02-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Heres an article I wrote a few weeks back you may find it interesting. All spokes are universal, just read the article and take notes to bring to your local bike shop.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=724&highlight=

Akonababe
02-06-2007, 01:29 PM
To answer you Culcune, we have not seen the problem of these plant spikes on the roads here on the big island. We have about 1000 km on the bikes now. having fun here.