PDA

View Full Version : HID light installation, $20 spent used ebay light.

MauiSurfer
06-23-2008, 03:43 AM
Go see pictures in my gallery of my 'success?' at installing a HID light. Total spent $20 on ebay used light and 1 toggle switch.

I tried running off the headlight wiring and there wasn't enough amps to power it - the headlight would blink.

So in my next attempt, rather than spring for a relay and all the extra wiring, I wired it directly to the battery and wired an inline cheap toggle switch mounted on side panel next to the battery. This worked, no blinking, and has the added bonus of keeping all the stock lighting legal. The downside is that you have a rather difficult switch to reach while riding, but I got used to it already.

http://chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=8926&g2_navId=x83d3a5c3

IronFist
06-23-2008, 03:09 PM
I don't know if this helps, but
cb 350's are known for being weak at generating electicity.
ebay cb350...it has a conversion hid kit that uses stock wiring, and the stock bulb mounting position. Looks like it would fit in the center hole of your light. I think its 25/35w??? Not much anyway. Bit pricy , very low wattage.

Like I said, I don't know if this helps

jayg
06-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Maui are you still running the stock light with the HID?

MauiSurfer
07-07-2008, 03:22 AM
Maui are you still running the stock light with the HID?

Yes, it's still running fine, no problem with the heat but the left/right direction of the light could be a little better. Since it was mounted to the left of the reflector, it shoots a bit right. I guess that's good in that it doesn't blind the drivers but if I had to do it again I would switch the positions of the stock bulb and the HID bulb.

kczukiman
07-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Wow thats a big difference.I think I will do that as well.

maf119l
07-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Is the HID high and low beam or just high?

MauiSurfer
07-24-2008, 01:48 AM
Is the HID high and low beam or just high?

Just a very high beam, that's why I left the stock bulb in there so I can have a low beam. (and a medium and a high!)

partsdude
08-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Great Job & great pics, Thanks. I'm going to look into that conversion for my upcoming build.