PDA

View Full Version : Easiest rear suspension upgrade?

Kawazacky
06-23-2008, 05:08 PM
For those of you who've done this, what's the easiest way to beef up the rear suspension, assuming I don't have mad welding skills (or any welding skills at all)?

I have an '07 Lifan GY-5, if that helps.

I assume from red2003's posts that bolting in another shock isn't much of a solution? What about swapping swingarms with a pit bike....or something?

kens97sto171
06-23-2008, 05:17 PM
If you just wanted a stiffer spring, you might be able to shim under the spring to pre- compress it a bit. This would NOT give any more travel, in fact it would reduce it slightly.

As to switching the swingarm, you would have to measure it carefully and check the design differences.

Ken

Kawazacky
06-23-2008, 05:25 PM
I'd hoped that buying a pit bike and swapping parts would allow for some easy upgrades. Upon closer inspection, though, it is probably more work than it's worth. The shocks and exhaust are close, but not identical. The 230cc engine and wheels and fork protectors would probably be the only beneficial parts.....

It's really too bad that the rear suspension on these is so sucky.

elroyjetsn
06-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Looks like you'll need:

1. Shock with more travel.

2. Modified linkage or mounts to give more travel.

I cut off 2/3 of the shock's bumpstop to give about 1/2" more travel which may translate to about 2 inches more overall- if the linkage will permit that. :roll: