PDA

View Full Version : scooter news

DesertDog
06-23-2008, 09:37 PM
just watched this not bad if dont like the high price of gas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut7jYZPoMHA

TeamCheap
06-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Scooters. mopeds, motorcycles just are not very practical here in michigan with the weather we get but they could maybe offset fuel costs for about 4-6 months anyway on a good year.

The saying here is "if you dont like the weather wait 5 minutes it will change"

DesertDog
06-23-2008, 11:39 PM
here's how i see it

people are complaining about the high cost of gas and doing nothing about it, complaining about the government and now with no hope for a good president in the up coming election, complaining about something all the time, and still wanting the gov. to take care of there little petty needs

:arrow: :arrow: and yet we are all still driving our cars around like gas is still $2.20 a gal. :? :?

as long as we keep driving and dont do anything it wont change. Saudi Arabia as us figured out to the penny, and as long as our govmnt keeps buying there oil we'll still pay higher prices

just watched another clip on youtube milan(?) Italy, agood majority of the people drive around on scooters/mopeds, i saw very few cars

i'm not suggesting we all buy mopeds, but it would'nt hurt to have one .
we are a FATCOW nation and spoiled over our riches.

besides that it would help the sells of my slagging business

i hear ya TC weather here is'nt much better, we had snow clear into june .

i'ld love to be in a climatic area , rain some , alittle snow , 70's 6 months, unbareable heat for 4 months, then a chill for 2 months
but that wont happen.
so i'll sell snow chains for my mopeds,
you might laugh but we do have someone here that rides thier bike in the winter in the snow, with a chain on his rear tire. why ? i dont know, never wanted to stop him and ask

i'm babbling now i'll stop

TeamCheap
06-24-2008, 06:18 AM
The most I'd go is a tiny little commuter car that gets 30-40 mpg since I never know what the weather will really be in a given day it really does change often here.

I have been looking fo a moped of sorts for me and the wife but they would still be used mostly for just cruising fun.

Our government has little to do with the current fuel prices.The reason fuel is so high is the other countries that are using more and more of it like India and China.

China is largely to blame for the fuel prices simply because the chinese government off sets the fuel cost with subsidies.
If the chinese people had to pay the real price for fuel there they would also be using less much like we are doing here now and the worldwide price for fuel would decrease.

AZ200cc
06-24-2008, 01:35 PM
The thing that keeps bouncing around in my head is the cost of the bike or scoot will need to be offset by savings. If You spend 1200 bucks on a bike You need for it to save You 1500 bucks before You are ahead. PLus the cost to register and insure the bike or scoot depending on CC's of course.

TeamCheap
06-24-2008, 04:02 PM
In my state the laws for mopeds are pretty much:

50cc or less
fully auto
top speed of 30mph
no insurance or helmet required if the rider is over a certain age
of course it must have all the safety/DOT items

Once you go out of those bounds you might just as well get a motorcycle IMO.

maf119l
06-24-2008, 04:20 PM
The thing that keeps bouncing around in my head is the cost of the bike or scoot will need to be offset by savings. If You spend 1200 bucks on a bike You need for it to save You 1500 bucks before You are ahead. PLus the cost to register and insure the bike or scoot depending on CC's of course.

Dont forget to factor in fun on 2 wheels.That's got to be worth someting.I like ride my bikes over driving my car no matter what the fuel cost.

DesertDog
06-24-2008, 05:56 PM
In my state the laws for mopeds are pretty much:

50cc or less
fully auto
top speed of 30mph
no insurance or helmet required if the rider is over a certain age
of course it must have all the safety/DOT items

Once you go out of those bounds you might just as well get a motorcycle IMO.

yeh here too on the 50cc law, you do have to have a regular licence tho for a 50cc moped

DesertDog
06-24-2008, 06:12 PM

well if yur spending $60 aweek in gas for work in yur suv/truck/or car , say hypothetically. thats $240 a month

in a scooter/moped/dual sport bike. at an average fuel up a week ??
uh ! ok .
lets see the mopeds do get about 75mpg avg. your commute is 350 miles a week = 4.6 gallons used thearetically / , gas here is $4.12 a gal thats $18.95 a week in gas, a month $75.80

truck-- $240 a month
moped-- $75.80
a difference of $164.20

good enough for me

AZ200cc
06-24-2008, 06:33 PM

well if yur spending $60 aweek in gas for work in yur suv/truck/or car , say hypothetically. thats $240 a month

uh ! ok .
lets see the mopeds do get about 75mpg avg. your commute is 350 miles a week = 4.6 gallons used thearetically / , gas here is $4.12 a gal thats $18.95 a week in gas, a month $75.80

truck-- $240 a month
moped-- $75.80
a difference of $164.20

good enough for me

I already understood they are good on gas compared to a Chevy Tahoe :lol:

It would still take about seven months to equal the money spent on the bike...Not many people can get a solid six months of riding in any year.
My point is that people who panic and grab a bike thinking they are saving money really are not at least not for a good while. They are still going to have to use the SUV a lot also...Can't haul the kids to soccer on a bike. If a person owned a bike before the prices shot up to the insane amount they are now, They are able to save money right away using the bike. How is spending money saving You money?

ANd yes I already know I really look to deeply into things :D

TeamCheap
06-24-2008, 08:50 PM
My SUV fuel costs for a week to and from work are about $20-25 and the weather here does not favor the biker to say the least although today was an absolutely perfect day all around so only 2 more perfect days left for this year. :cry:

I want some type of scooter but it would just be another toy and of no real use as far as commuting goes for that I need a subcompact car with a stick shift and no air.

:lol: I laugh at the people doing the oh ....whats it called MEGA MILEING or what ever trying to save fuel/extend their MPG's and that would be great except they have 1 or more tires visibly low on air and the windows up so you know they have the air on.MORONS

The ones that have thier cars in top shape and run minumum load on the engine and drive that way probably do all right but for the masses it just doesnt sink in.

DesertDog
06-24-2008, 11:11 PM

uh ! ok .

truck-- $240 a month
moped-- $75.80
a difference of $164.20

good enough for me

I already understood they are good on gas compared to a Chevy Tahoe :lol:

It would still take about seven months to equal the money spent on the bike...Not many people can get a solid six months of riding in any year.
My point is that people who panic and grab a bike thinking they are saving money really are not at least not for a good while. They are still going to have to use the SUV a lot also...Can't haul the kids to soccer on a bike. If a person owned a bike before the prices shot up to the insane amount they are now, They are able to save money right away using the bike. How is spending money saving You money?

ANd yes I already know I really look to deeply into things :D

please i dont want you working for me ,, you would talk many,many people out of buying a bike,

i totaly understand yur point ....

but there are alot of locals that can save a ton of doe if there comute is 2 to 5 miles a day,

if i drove my 7.4 ltr 4x4 suburban to work every day like i used to it would cost me $116 a week and no loitering around a total of $464 a month.

but i do drive a 97 geo metro that i bought from a towing com. for $1200
insurance a month is $28, i put $37.35 a week in gas , a month $149,
i bought that car in 05, i think its paid for its self many times over

so i understand the riding season is short , but the bike can help, i had a cruiser , it gave me 40mpg, i was able to only ride it 3,5 months a yr

we do need alot more pesimistics , keep it up :)

VinceDrake
06-24-2008, 11:59 PM
Although, if you work downtown, parking/manoeverability can help with some of the savings, as well as the stress factor.

Personally, I could drive one of the shop cars to and from work, on the best kind of fuel in the world-- Company Fuel! *But* as long as I have the Moto-horse, I get to be alone for at least 1 hour per day! YAY! No one asks for a ride, no dropping off clients, no picking up a pizza on the way home, no exchanging broken equipment, no Salesmen, no "Daddy fix this!" no "Don't you think a nice fuscia would look good in this room?"

If nothing else, for 1 hour everyday, I am free.

Ain't that worth something? :)

--Vince

maf119l
06-25-2008, 12:41 AM
The way i cut my fuel cost is by not idleing truck my when its nice out.OTR truck driver.dont really need a 500 horsepower A/C or heater.As i'm typing this in sioux city,ia its probably low to mid 70's with my windows down and there is a truck next to me idleing.When i am home,i ride my bikes most of the time.About 30 miles north of Biloxi,Ms on the coast.ride all year long.When me or someone else in the family like my sis,me or parents go to town we check with each other before we go to see if anyone needs something.20 miles to the nearest city.When on the road workig i try to plan my trips so i miss rush hour traffic jams so i'm not sitting there going nowhere with the truck running.If you plan aead you can find several ways to save money no matter what you drive or where.

06-25-2008, 03:07 AM
........Blah,Blah,Blah!!

To a huge percent of our population annual savings means nothing!

We live week to week! When I ride the bike for a week on a tank at
$8 compared to a tank a week in the truck $75 it makes a huge difference in my life.....

Still, With the truck parked at the job I find myself heading toward the truck at the end of the day! Wine,Wine, Im tired,I wanna turn the AC on,I wanna listen to the radio, Im spoiled! Like most all people around.

It's funny how we can't live without 2 or 3 cars. But,The guy down the road with only the bike,Makes out fine....Why is that??

At some point we will be forced to adapt! Better to do it on your own...

kczukiman
06-25-2008, 07:39 AM
........Blah,Blah,Blah!!

To a huge percent of our population annual savings means nothing!

We live week to week! When I ride the bike for a week on a tank at
$8 compared to a tank a week in the truck $75 it makes a huge difference in my life.....

Still, With the truck parked at the job I find myself heading toward the truck at the end of the day! Wine,Wine, Im tired,I wanna turn the AC on,I wanna listen to the radio, Im spoiled! Like most all people around.

It's funny how we can't live without 2 or 3 cars. But,The guy down the road with only the bike,Makes out fine....Why is that??

At some point we will be forced to adapt! Better to do it on your own...

Very well said!

IronFist
06-25-2008, 04:52 PM
$600-$800 a year to insure a scooter here in Toronto, first year rider.

But if they can afford a $5000 vespa then they can afford insurance and gas, and gas for the SUV. The people on a tight budget here don't own a vehicle at all, they take the bus. The cheapest bike with papers in toronto, I bought. Scooters are 2500$ new+ tax +setup+PDI????+insurance+Testing for licence+$40 for photo ID+$45 for plates or your sticker+$200 for gear so you can take your $275 motorcycle course. Now aren't you glad you don't live in Toronto?:D

kens97sto171
06-27-2008, 02:58 AM
The way i cut my fuel cost is by not idleing truck my when its nice out.OTR truck driver.dont really need a 500 horsepower A/C or heater.As i'm typing this in sioux city,ia its probably low to mid 70's with my windows down and there is a truck next to me idleing.When i am home,i ride my bikes most of the time.About 30 miles north of Biloxi,Ms on the coast.ride all year long.When me or someone else in the family like my sis,me or parents go to town we check with each other before we go to see if anyone needs something.20 miles to the nearest city.When on the road workig i try to plan my trips so i miss rush hour traffic jams so i'm not sitting there going nowhere with the truck running.If you plan aead you can find several ways to save money no matter what you drive or where.

Hey.. another OTR driver... Well I used to be.. worked for Schneider for 2 years... had a good time doing that. SNI paid us a bonus to not idle the truck more than a certain %. I must admit that if it was hot out.. I idled it.. Just could never get to sleep with it hot and humid in the cab (Aug in Laredo TX) . Winter was no problem.. had electric blankets and such. I always was a little fearful of getting mugged or worse if I slept with the windows down, and those little fans in the vents dont do shit. There were many nights it was a nice 70 deg out, but I just had no way to get the cool air into my cab without the windows down all the way. I always thought they should put a big blower in the roof or back to vent out the air.
I completely agree with you on your other points, about combining trips, and planning it better.

BTW I heard that the Feds are giving grants for idle reduction. on the East Coast are now subsidizing the IdleAir at the TA's since it is illegal to idle in many states on the east cost. I could never figure out why SNI did not have a corporate account for this... would have saved them lots of money.