PDA

View Full Version : Zongshen Sierra registration status California

Ryoga
07-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Considering purchasing Zongshen Sierra 200, and found one place indicating it is street legal in 50 states. Have not found any on-line dealers in California, makes me uncertain that it is really street legal in this state. Most web sites send you to state department of motor vehicles to get information, which I don't understand. California DMV has no information on any particular model of motorcycle, or if it can be registered.

Wool-Z
07-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Not sure but I remember that when looking to buy my bike some web sites said they would NOT ship this particular bike to CA.

Ryoga
07-19-2008, 06:02 PM
I initially considered buying a Lifan LF200GY but a lot of web sites indicated that there would be registration problems in California. Not that I am inferring that a web retailer would purposely mislead me, but www.atvdiscounter.com replied to an email of mine indicating that the LF200GY is street legal in California. But when I look at www.motoxtreme.net they list the LF200GY as 49 state street legal, which is the code words for not street legal in California. All this questionable information has only left me in the position of not making any purchase of a motorcycle. It seems that if the motorcycle isn't being sold directly at a California dealer with a retail store, there is no reliable means to find out the street legal status.

maf119l
07-20-2008, 10:20 PM
The lifans and almost all china bikes are not street legal in Kommifornia.I will infer that www.atvdiscounter.comWILL mislead (aka LIE).

Ryoga
08-03-2008, 02:51 PM
I really was inferring that the information from web dealers can be misleading (sometimes purposefully) for California (and other) sales. I have a hard time understanding were most of the difficultly lies. Is it CARB certification, or just inconsistencies between states on the registration process. American Lifan sent me a name and address of a local dealer, which is in this case Extreme Motorsports in Bakersfield, California. I went into the store not knowing what to expect, but I was surprised to find several enduro/dual sport motorcycles on the floor. Although, I was not able to spot a Lifan product in the building. After asking several times that these bikes are street legal, I purchased a JH250GY-4. They filled out the DMV paperwork, gave me the temporary registration, and as far as I know I should be getting the license plate in the mail. I am not certain but I think the manufacturer of this motorcycle is ChonQing Joyhon Motorcycle Company. It is not a 250cc, the actual displacement is 223cc. I don't know how it is possible to list this as a 250. Assuming that I do get the license plate in the mail I will post a picture of this bike on the forum.

maf119l
08-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Carb certification is the main problem getting a bike registured in cali.

culcune
08-03-2008, 11:01 PM
These guys http://txxmotorsports.com/ out of Orange County sell the Sierra and have gotten one guy's (member 'liverchip) Chinese bike street registered in Kali (he did not get a Sierra, however). JP Motorsports in San Diego get the new Qlink XF200 and XP200 street registered and used to carry the old Qlink X-Ranger 200 and get them registered. The X-Ranger was a re-badged Zongshen Sierra that Qlink no longer carries in the US.

kckc
08-31-2008, 10:37 AM
No problem in registering my Zongshen sierra 200 in Calif. I bought it from TXXmotorsports in Orange, CA. They did paper work and I got plates and registration in about 10 days.

The biggest problem was in actually getting the bike when I decided I wanted one. They were back ordered and when the dealer got 3 bikes in on Friday afternoon they were all gone by Friday night. I got an orange one- I like it

tigertamer
08-31-2008, 02:57 PM
I miss California, but not necessarily 8O Sacramento

Eureka (I have found it),
Tigertamer