PDA

View Full Version : Dumb tire question

oldandugly
02-07-2007, 02:35 PM
I am used to mounting my own tires and then taking them to get balanced. Do you not bother balancing off road tires because you don't go fast enough to bother, or because of the dirt/mud they pick up makes it impractical, or because they are too crude, or am I just wrong in my presumption altogether?

red2003
02-07-2007, 02:49 PM
My cheep knobbies that came on my Roketa are not balanced. But, they ride and handle great and don't vibrate at all. I was shocked when I first took it out. 60 mph on bare pavement felt smooth as a babies butt. I would suggest you DO have them balanced, but maybe it's not that necessary on an enduro bike.

oldandugly
02-07-2007, 03:01 PM
Thanks, I haven't had a chance to ride it much but did notice a pretty good vibration at about 50 mph.

John22j
02-07-2007, 03:21 PM
I used to run 115mph with unbalanced d-p tires on my KLR650 and never had any problems - even laying it over dragging pegs at 90mph, no wobbles or issues ever.

Also, I've never balanced any of my dirt bike tires - the thought never even crossed my mind because I guess I feel there'd be no benefit from it, and you'd have to rebalance frequently.

I think you'll be fine just mount and go (--- but be sure and seat the bead as evenly as you can)

oldandugly
02-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. That is what I like, knowledgable people not hording experience from rookies.

mdsuave13
02-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the replies. That is what I like, knowledgable people not hording experience from rookies.

Well thats why we have rookies! because they havent been able to horde info about something ;-)

Anyways, i have never balanced any of my dirt bikes tires, always rolled good for me.. hell, my dirtbikes rolled smoother then my jeep does... :)