PDA

View Full Version : New project. Maybe this one will finish. Lifanuki

katoranger
07-29-2008, 09:17 AM
The Ct90s are just not going to happen and they have more ebay value than the Dr250.

Since I have a good lifan 125cc horizontal pit bike motor and all the parts to make it run and I also have a nice clean Suzuki DR250 rolling chassis with everything, but a good engine.

Time for alittle slobberin and monster garage action.

Allen

katoranger
08-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Okay I got the original motor out of the frame and did alittle test fitting etc.

I think this will work.

http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=9357&g2_serialNumber=2

http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=9352&g2_serialNumber=2

http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=9362&g2_serialNumber=2

http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=9367&g2_serialNumber=2

I am going to have to cut the down tube off to clear the head and then I think I am going to make a lower mount using the peg adapter I bought for the CT project and attach it to one of the stock locations. This will get the correct location and alignment of the sprocket.

From there I will use some scrap metal to make mount to the two main motor mounting points on the engine. I am going to make a frame cradle using the original honda CT skidplate to tie the frame together.

This will be fun.

Allen

ChiGongJitsu
08-02-2008, 04:31 AM
that's wild, but it's gonna be cool when it's done

katoranger
08-02-2008, 07:06 AM
It will be about 30lbs lighter than stock with a low center or gravity too.

I don't think it will go much over 30mph, but that is fast enough for me.

Allen

ImEazy
08-02-2008, 07:30 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t21/ImEazy/lurker.gif

TeamCheap
08-02-2008, 09:21 PM
so just wondering.....did the DR engine have a mount that the swingarm bolt went thru :?:

It looks interesting and I'm sure you'll have it done long before the many projects I have going.

and where'd you get that popcorn ImEasy :?:

IronFist
08-03-2008, 12:35 AM
I like the popcorn too. :D

If it's gonna be slow, is it for the girls, Kato?

ImEazy
08-03-2008, 01:45 AM
and where'd you get that popcorn ImEasy :?:

Borrowed it from Adv. Rider. http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t21/ImEazy/thumb.gif

katoranger
08-03-2008, 08:37 AM
TC, The swingarm held the original engine in place. I am go to make a spacer to go in there.

This is to be able to ride the girls around and for me to ride with kids on small bikes. I am planning to make some pegs and a small set of bars mounted over the tank for them to hold on to. 2 and 4 years old.

I have changed thoughts to using part of the CT90 frame and welding it into place to hold the engine.

I am open to suggestions for mounting this.

Everyone stock up on the popcorn.

Allen

katoranger
08-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Well here is a mockup using part of the CT90 frame. I actually hack it out and used part of the CT90 swingarm bolt tube to mount it on the suzuki swingarm bolt.

http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=9431&g2_serialNumber=2

ImEasy's pit bike exhuast stuck on there. Going to use part of it and an xr80 exhaust I have.
http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=9436&g2_serialNumber=2

The kickstart lever will need some reworking to clear the frame.

I really think that I need to raise it about 3/4" to get the countershaft more inline with the swingarm bolt.

This will work.

Allen

TeamCheap
08-04-2008, 07:42 PM
I have stawberry whoppers right now but I think the popcorn is around here somewhere.

katoranger
08-04-2008, 09:07 PM
The monster garage with the slobberin is about to start. The sprockets are lined up.

Waiting on the rear 56T from ImEasy and I will have to drill the correct bolt pattern onto it.

Allen

IronFist
08-04-2008, 10:01 PM
I don't want popcorn lung. I like Manard's Sour Wine Gums anyway. I'm still looking for a project. Less slobber, more elbow grease. :lol:

katoranger
08-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Okay. I did alittle slobberin before being called in.

I effectively raised the rear mount about 3/4" and found a piece of tubing that fits snugly on the swingarm bolt. Got this welded in place and the rear mount for the subframe is in place. This lines up the countershaft sprocket in the right place for the rear sprocket and at the right height to clear the swingarm.

No picture tonight. Too dark. Hope to have the motor in place tomorrow.

Allen

ChiGongJitsu
08-06-2008, 12:34 AM
man, you work fast! can't wait to see new pics, the first ride will be sweet i'm sure!

katoranger
08-06-2008, 07:54 AM
The box of parts from ImEasy may arrive today.

I am not too concerned about making it look pretty, just functional and strong.

I don't have a throttle cable yet, but I may be able to get the motor mounted today.

Allen

katoranger
08-06-2008, 08:27 AM
I think I found a wiring diagram at hoopers site.

It looks like I can use the stock mounting point for the coil and I am going to use all the wiring from the lifan.

The DR has lights, but I am not sure if I will hook them up.

Allen

IronFist
08-06-2008, 08:29 AM
I want a project tooooooo :oops:

A Suzfan is born!

katoranger
08-06-2008, 01:32 PM
SlobberMaster 140
http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=9453&g2_serialNumber=2

Frame mount/brace.
http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=9458&g2_serialNumber=2

Here it is actually running in this picture.
http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=9463&g2_serialNumber=2

Got that no-toil filter cheap.
http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=9468&g2_serialNumber=2

I finished up mounting the motor and welding the ct90 frame portion in place to the DR frame.

Solve the kickstart problem by using one off a vintage yamaha 100 that had a slight bent to clear the frame and the rotated it slightly forward so that it engages when it is pointed nearly straight up. This gives me about 90 degress of rotation before it hits the footpeg. Enough that a light kick fires it up with ease.

All the wiring is up under the tank and I trim the bottom of the front fender to clear the head.

All that is left is to work on the exhaust so that the pipe exits further back, the shifter, and the chain and rear sprocket.

Allen

katoranger
08-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Picked up a throttle cable and some grips from a local shop. Just need my box off parts from ImEasy and I should be redneck ridin.

Allen

ChiGongJitsu
08-07-2008, 01:23 AM
that looks really cool actually, have you taken if for a spin yet?

are you going to put a piece of rubber on that downtube part that's sticking out, or possibly cut/round it off?

katoranger
08-07-2008, 01:43 PM
The box of parts from ImEasy arrived today.

I have ridden it yet, the sprocket I needed is in the box of parts. Just have to drill the holes to match the suzuki hub.

Maybe later tonight I will get to ride if the chain I have is long enough.

Allen

katoranger
08-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Update.

Throttle installed. I think it is running alittle rich. Seems to bog some.

I worked on the rear sprocket and have it sliding onto the hub. Had to bevel the center hole to clear the suzuki hub and oval out two of the stock holes. The factory suzuki studs come up through two holes the the other four on just the outside edges of the "spokes" of the sprocket. I am going to get longer bolts and use the old sprocket as a clamp to hold it together.

Allen

partsdude
08-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Dude, that's an awesome project! :lol:

katoranger
08-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Won't be any more updates for a couple weeks. This will have to wait until I get back from my trip.

Allen

katoranger
08-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Picked up the bolts for the rear sprocket. Been raining finally in GA so my outdoor workspace is alittle damp. Maybe I will get to do some more later this week.

Allen

katoranger
08-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Sprocket installed. Chain I had was slightly short. I bought a second master link and I have a few links from another new chain and hopefully I will have enough to make it work.

This is all I need to take a for a spin.

Allen

partsdude
08-28-2008, 04:07 PM
:wink: Wanna see ya pullin wheelies brother! :lol:

katoranger
08-28-2008, 04:09 PM
I will going easy until I have a few miles on it. Need to watch for any problem spots first.

Not really planning to ride very hard.

Allen

IronFist
08-28-2008, 09:00 PM
still wanna see :D

I'd like to see if a 150cc chinamotor would fit into a 64 Honda benly tour? 8O

katoranger
08-29-2008, 02:19 PM
It works. :D

The gearing is way too low though. I think I need to try a 16T front sprocket.

4th gear feels like about 15-20mph.

The exhaust needs some work and it falls to an idle slowly so those issues need to be addressed.

I am going to use an xr80 muffler an route the pipe through the frame so I don't burn my leg.

Allen

partsdude
08-29-2008, 02:23 PM
:wink: Wanna see ya pullin wheelies brother! :lol:

:wink: So wheelies shouldn't be out of the question then...!!! LOL :wink:

katoranger
08-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Going to need some fine tuning before a wheelie can happen, but no not out of the question.

I think I still have a 17t sprocket around and I am going to test with that next.

It may be too high.

I was able to go down the trail in 3rd gear at about 5mph.

Allen

katoranger
10-26-2008, 07:50 PM
I got the gearing worked out. The 17t works great.

Rode about 2 hours today. Still needs some work. The lower mount broke a weld. I am going to do some more bracing down there.

The exhaust still needs something done. I have an xr80 muffler that I think will be mated to the front half of the pitbike pipe.

Hopefully that will cut the decibels and also get the pipe inside the frame an out the back.

Chain alignment must be good. No popping and it stayed on all afternoon.

Bike rides really well. Need to work on carburation some too. Engine revs and hangs. Not sure if it is too lean or the cable is hanging up.

Allen

tigertamer
10-27-2008, 06:32 AM
Wheelies :?:

TT

katoranger
10-30-2008, 02:39 PM
It will wheelie. :lol:

It it pretty easy to loft the frontend of the bike.

Hopefully I can get some reinforcement done to the frame so that I can ride it again.

Allen

IronFist
10-30-2008, 04:42 PM
:lol:

katoranger
11-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Anyone know if it is possible to convert the lifan 125 pit bike motor so that I can kick start it in gear?

Right now you need to shift to neutral and then release the clutch so that the kickstarter will engage.

Allen

elroyjetsn
11-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Anyone know if it is possible to convert the lifan 125 pit bike motor so that I can kick start it in gear?

Right now you need to shift to neutral and then release the clutch so that the kickstarter will engage.

Allen

I think that's what i had to do with my ole Honda 65s.
Think all the horizontals work that way. I would just push start mine most of the time.

katoranger
11-03-2008, 07:21 PM
I think the clutch is used when kickstarting the engine, but some models are start in gear.

Just a nuisance.

Allen

katoranger
01-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Lifanuki is being parted. Time for another project.

TeamCheap
03-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Why are you parting it out ?

I just bought a CT90.

katoranger
03-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Money is needed elsewhere. I can live without it.

I am trying to pay off all debt. I sold the engine and actually made a profit locally.

I have some CT90 parts. Almost everything if you need something.

Also the lifan conversion motor mounts.

Allen

TeamCheap
03-21-2009, 07:02 PM
I know I shouldnt spend money on mine either but so far I havnt spent to much.I dont plan on doing a restore on mine just enough to get it usable for what I want right now.

We have been paying off some debt also and it feels good to have some loans off our backs.

The stuff I need for mine isnt that important right now but later on I may need some of the harder to get parts.

katoranger
03-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Let me know. I have most of a CT90 in a box. I don't have any engine parts.

Allen

TeamCheap
03-21-2009, 11:05 PM
do you have most of the parts to make a rolling frame ?

wheels, forks, swing arm, frame ?

katoranger
03-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Yes. I have all of that I think.

Allen