PDA

View Full Version : Need help using a multimeter...

Vlad
02-09-2007, 10:03 PM
I think I got a parasidic drain on the battery, at first I thought it was the Chinese battery problem, but now I got a second one and its doing the same shit. Dies, sometimes as fast as overnight from a fully charged state, everything is off on the bike. Does anyone know how to hook up a multimeter to measure the drain and/or check the battery charge level, what settings to use I mean? My multimeter has DCV(200m-500) ACV(200-500) DCA (200micro-2000m) and R (200-2000k). Any other ideas on what the problem is are welcome... This is some random Chinese bike shit.

ob1
02-09-2007, 10:18 PM
My guess, rectifier/regulator is to blame. If there is a plug in connector to it, disconnect it with the battery fully charged and recheck the battery after a day or two.

msRandi
02-09-2007, 10:52 PM
disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery. Set your multi-meter to dc amps. connect the meter, red wire to the negative post on the battery and the black wire to the ground cable. Volt meter should read under 2milliamps, which would be .002 amps. If it is higher than that you have a voltage leak through the rectifier. Disconnect the rectifier and then do same test, should read 0 amps if not there is a short somewhere in the wiring and the rectifier is most likely not the problem.

Vlad
02-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Well, I used the multimeter and only got a 0, so I decided to swap the rectifier out just incase since I found one in the "spares" box. Here is something weird, I pull the original one off the bike, compare it to the new one and it only has 4 wires into it. The plug on the bike has 5 and the new rectifier has 5! I think they may have put the wrong one on from factory, grabbed one from the wrong box so to speak. I put the new one on and everything is good for now, Ill see in a few days if the battery dies again. The original rectifier I took off sais "LF0607 KG-4" on the back of it, and like I said is a 4 wire one. If someone knows what it is made for and has that bike they can have it, as a spare ...

msRandi
02-10-2007, 08:11 PM
It's the same on my Viva witch was good the black wire is 12v hot when the swtch is on. and i have 4 wire rec. my bike came with somthing wrong in the stater cercit. and I used the black wire to run the stater solenoid.

culcune
02-10-2007, 11:30 PM
This company is linked from www.jetmoto.biz I am intrigued by the potential, although they are $60. Anyone familiar with this company?

http://www.dvoltbatteries.com/

liverchip
02-10-2007, 11:42 PM
I haven't seen them before. But as of yet I've yet to have battery troubles with any of my bikes, and Ive been running 2 of them for over 2 years. A good battery supplier is always a good thing though, but then again so is a good kick-start.

Vlad
02-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Well, the new rectifier is in and the damn battery died AGAIN. When I am running the bike, I loose power to everything, but the bike will keep running. No headlights, no turnsignals, no horn no nothing, but the damn thing still runs. What else could it be?! Cmon people I need ideas here...