PDA

View Full Version : OK, I got my bike

PolygonFla
02-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Ok Guys,
I got the Zongshen Sierra 200.

I went ahead and bought it from Scooter Escapes in St. Petersburg FL. I tried to talk them down to $1200.00 for it but the owner would only go as low as $1600.00.

But for that I knew exactly which bike I was getting, that it had 1.5 KM on the odometer that they would do the prep work and take care of the paperwork. So after taxes and fees out the door I paid $2000.00.

I took it on the road today and toped out at 62mph with my 240 lbs on it.

The Zongshen does have it’s quirks though, The choke lever is located on the left handle bar between the grip and the turn signal switch and when it is in the full open position it blocks thumb access to switch.

Speaking of the choke it has a ratchet action that isn’t firm enough to overcome the spring that is pulling it into the closed position. So the idle starts creeping up as the choke slowly closes. I wired it open for now but I will be returning to the dealer for that. I pulled the plastics off to see if there is an adjustment for the choke spring at the engine side but there isn’t.

The front fork guards are about a ½ inch to tall for these forks in my opinion. When the forks are fully compressed they hit the reflectors on the fork sides.

I was surprised that the fuel tank is steel, under the plastic covers. The paint on the tank is decent too. The service technician at the shop mentioned that he is thinking of buying one and pulling all the plastic off and riding it like a standard. It came with street tires, witch is ok with me since that is where I will be doing all of my riding for now. At some point I may want to get another set of wheals and mount some knobies.

So far I am pretty happy with it. here is the link to the pics http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=2738
I guess it is time for me to change my avitar.

frostbite
02-10-2007, 12:57 PM
I love the flat black. Nice looking ride.

John22j
02-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Topped out -- I'm surprised you'd crank it up full bore so soon without a break in (or maybe you did break it in already - I guess I shouldn't make any assumptions)

Looks like a fun bike, but is that really a rear drum brake -- through me for a loop.

You've got some good miles ahead of you... enjoy it.

PolygonFla
02-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks Frostbite, I'm thinking I may need to get a yellow or orange jacket to be sure to be seen on the road.

Yup, it is a rear drum break. I figured if it was good enough for the big four to use on the small dualsports it would be good enough for me. And KISS came to mind.

Nope. not broken in yet but I couldn't resist riding to the barber shop today and there is a 2 mile section of 55 mph road.

dlunt
02-10-2007, 01:51 PM
I agree with frostbite. That flat black is cool!
I always liked the flat colors on the Honda 919.

I was in a (don't flame me :P ) Harley shop the other day and they had some Sportster 1200 models with flat grey or black paint jobs. Looked good (for a Harley :twisted: ). Sorry, I am just not a Harley fan.
The only reason I was in there was that they were giving away free footballs in some contest. (WooHoo Colts!!!)

Personal opinion, I would ride it like I stole it.
I think break in time is highly overrated.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

John22j
02-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Personal opinion, I would ride it like I stole it.
I think break in time is highly overrated.

I don't believe really in break-in time, but more of a break-in process -- you can do it all in a day or two easy.... Still, I understand completely the ride it like ya stole it approach because technically if the motor was put together properly it should be capable of running at it's fullest shortly after the first explosion in the cylinder.

PolygonFla
02-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Well, I just got back from a nice long ride down to the beach and back. I stopped by the shop and they fixed the choke. Took them about 40 min. and the mechanic kept cursing because he was burning his hands. But he had to keep starting the bike to check his adjustments, so it couldn't cool off.

On the way back from the beach it topped out at 65 or 66 (I didn't have the GPS with me this time). It still had some throttle left but didn't feel like any more gas would make much difference. I'm real happy at the moment every thing seems just like I expected.

When I was getting the choke looked at I was talking to the owner and he advised that as far as break-in goes, "Just ride it like you stole it, if it blows up in the next 30 days I'll replace it with a new one."

While I was waiting in the shop, a couple came in with the intention of buying their last Sierra in stock for the woman to ride in the dirt. I don't know if they got it or not. The guy was excited but she seemed like she wanted something smaller and more dirt oriented.

culcune
02-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Congratulations! I am glad you got the Sierra, (if you remember me saying something about living vicariously through you). It gets up to speed, which is good to know, too.

Congrats to you Dennis Lunt for your Colts! Deep down, I was rooting for the Bears as I was born in Chicago, but since football holds about as much interest for me as pouring battery acid on my toes, they lost, and I got over it.

FMYStreetRacer
02-10-2007, 08:15 PM
dude a super moto bike!!!????!!!!!! awsome!!!!!! i want a super moto so bad. the dr-z400sm is screaming my name.

ambassador
02-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Awsome bike man!! What's your gearing on that thing? Love the flat black, I'm in the process of doing the same to my gy-5, I'll post pics soon, been off-line for awhile, storms last Friday knocked out my phone, tv and internet... I'm in Bradenton, 1 county away from St. Pete, I gotta go up there and check out this place... Have fun and watch out for the Q-tips...

mdsuave13
02-10-2007, 09:25 PM
i will probably be painting my gy 5 flat black.. i've always liked that mad max kinda look :twisted:

PolygonFla
02-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Hi Ambassador,
I wouldn't say the shop is worth a special trip over, but if you are in the area on a week day or Saturday, then maybe stop in.

The rear Sprocket is 46 tooth The front I'm not so sure of, I'm guessing 16.
Chain is 428H - 120.

I'm glad you got your internet back.

Thanks Everyone, for the kind words. It is a blast. but it got kinda cold later this afternoon. I need to pick up a trunk bag to keep my rain jacket in.

My buddy on the Bandit likes th e flat black look too. I do need a Cool Boy sticker tho. :wink:

culcune
02-10-2007, 11:16 PM
I do need a Cool Boy sticker tho. :wink:

You have to earn one :lol: Since many of the members who buy the LIfan GY-5 take the sticker off, perhaps you could convince them to send you some.

FMYStreetRacer--this bike is stock; I don't think you considered a Zongshen when you were researching which bike to get, but this is how they come. This Zongshen is the "poor man's" Suzuki DRZ400-SM, but it costs nearly twice what most of us paid for our bikes--does that make us paupers??

liverchip
02-11-2007, 12:01 AM
Very nice bike and it sounds as if you've found a great dealer. Great combination. Keep the shiny side up! Wait it's flat black, just keep the rubber side down!

FMYStreetRacer
02-11-2007, 02:28 AM
I do need a Cool Boy sticker tho. :wink:

You have to earn one :lol: Since many of the members who buy the LIfan GY-5 take the sticker off, perhaps you could convince them to send you some.

FMYStreetRacer--this bike is stock; I don't think you considered a Zongshen when you were researching which bike to get, but this is how they come. This Zongshen is the "poor man's" Suzuki DRZ400-SM, but it costs nearly twice what most of us paid for our bikes--does that make us paupers??

yeah i wouldn't have paid it back then but i would now.

i went to the dealership the other day to look at a DR-Z400sm and no salesman even came up to talk to me. i made it dead nuts obvious that i was interested in the bike to. sucks we don't have a better dealer around here.

PolygonFla
02-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Just got back from a trip across Tampa Bay. I now have 115 miles on it. I ran out of gas on the highway and unfortunately the fuel valve is tucked just behind the plastics on the left side. I had to pull over to switch to reserve. My range seems real low at this point. It may be a few weeks before I will be able to get hard figures.

I am still having some trouble with the choke, but now it is mostly just annoying.

I did my first oil change before the trip and checked the exhaust pipe for restrictions. I will start two new threads with pictures, in Miscellaneous section soon.

fratermus
02-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Ok Guys,
I got the Zongshen Sierra 200.
So far I am pretty happy with it. here is the link to the pics http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=2738

That is one foxy bike.

NewEnglandTrails
02-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Nice looking bike. Those the stock tires that came with the bike? They look like they would be good on the street. Whats top speed on your bike?

NET

PolygonFla
02-17-2007, 08:08 PM
They are what the shop mounted where I bought the bike. They remove the stock 50/50 tires because so many of the buyers in this area never go off road. Although I miss the "thuga thuga thuga" knobies make at low speed.

I have had it up to 64 mph by GPS (speedo indicated 75) on flat highway. I expect to pick up another mile or two as it breaks-in. If I need to I may look at swapping out the rear sprocket. Huge error in the speedo as it climbs past 35 mph.