PDA

View Full Version : Oil Window?

Celtic67
08-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi all,

Having recently bought my GY, I thought I'd change the oil, to be sure of what's in there. So, I had a quick look for the dipstick, etc and saw a little window on the right-hand side of the engine case.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l109/Celtic1967/bike02.jpg

Now, it's marked with H & L (see below) and looks like it should be for checking oil level, but there's nothing there. There was nothing with the old oil, so I thought maybe it was too low. I've stuck a litre in, the dipstick is happy but that window is still showing me nothing.

Do I have a problem or is this normal?

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l109/Celtic1967/bike01.jpg

theENIGMATIC
08-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Normal if the bike is on its stand....pick it upright and you should see the window full.....try starting the engine and letting it warm up then turn it off and check it with the bike upright! :D

tigertamer
08-15-2008, 03:23 PM
The preferred method is to use the dipstick anyway.

8O
Tigertamer

czowner
08-15-2008, 08:21 PM
How are "we" using the dipstick? My owners manual is very clear that the dipstick isn't screwed in when checking the level, doing it this way on my bike the oil is half way up the window.

Jonathan.

jshellito
08-15-2008, 09:18 PM
I only use the oil window. The dipstick on mine was a real pain to get in and out. It finally cracked so i broke it off didn't want it to break off inside.

tigertamer
08-15-2008, 11:12 PM
The manual for my 06 GY-5 says to screw the dipstick in completely.

But it states to do it on the center stand...go figure. :roll:

Tigertamer

IronFist
08-15-2008, 11:18 PM
The bikes I've seen, you hold the bike vertical, or on a box. Dipstick not screwed in. I think Kato said half way up the window was correct.

Celtic67
08-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks guys, that's all really helpful.

My dipstick is also a pain to unscrew, I've had to use pliers a couple of times to undo it.

I've also now managed to balance the bike while I lean down to view the window & can see oil. Woo!

theENIGMATIC
08-20-2008, 06:32 PM
My manual says "be surefull to cleanie the dusty poo roundy the sparkie plug" :lol:
It has been very little help thus far, but you never know.if I work on my Chinese to English translation.this all might make some sense?