PDA

View Full Version : QUESTIONS ABOUT THE MOTO X!

thadius
09-09-2008, 10:23 PM
I sat on a Moto X 250 today. Man the suspension seems pretty soft-used to Japanese bikes. Quality looked O.K., except for the hubs as mentioned on the last few threads.
My questions are: how do you stiffen up the mushy front forks and back shock. Also, what are the weak points on this bike. I'm fairly handy and not afraid of a challenge.
Thanks for any input!
TB

red2003
09-10-2008, 07:39 AM
I'm not real familiar with this bike, but in general you can stiffen the forks with a heavier weight shock oil, and I believe the rear shock on that bike has adjustable rebound and compression damping. Still, I WOULD NOT take it to the local MX track. It wont hold up.

knothead
09-10-2008, 10:36 PM
The rebound and compression settings will do nothing about the sag, they will only slow the up and down movement of the suspension.
If the preload is adjustable (rear probably, forks... I really doubt it), cranking it up will help. The only real cure is new springs.

But you want a squishy suspension on a dirt bike, IF it has enough travel. If the bike has 4 or 5 inches, it needs fairly stiff springs to keep from bottoming. If it has 10" the softer springs will soak up rough terrain better, for jumping long travel+stiffer springs... it all depends on how you're going to ride the bike. My DR 650 is super squishy, but offroad it's killer. I have yet to find anyplace that I cannot go due to the suspension and I've been flogging it pretty hard.

thadius
09-10-2008, 11:03 PM
This bike has adjustments for dampning, but they are maxed out for stiffness and they're still pretty soft. You can crank down the preload in the rear, and I guess you could add thicker oil up front. I'm not looking for an MXer, but some of the desert riding I do can be a little rough. Just not familiar enough with these bikes to know how well they hold up?
Thanks again!

red2003
09-11-2008, 08:43 AM
If the plan is to take it out in the desert and trail ride, you should be good, but I would not trust it to do much pounding over dunes. Especially out in the desert away from humanity, were it to break. IMO you'd be better off buying a used mx'er from the big four to pound the dunes.

knothead
09-11-2008, 04:49 PM
^^^ what Red said. Look around an pick up a used XR200 or sumthin. You can find 'em for about the same price as a new Chinese bike, but will probably have to spend some money/time getting it dialed in. You'll be getting a better built bike that has a pretty decent suspension and can be upgraded pretty easily. I found a Yamaha XT600 on Craig's list for $1000, it runs good but needs a chain and sprokets, brakes and an oil change. Find something like that and you're still in for a good bit less than $1500!

This bike has adjustments for dampning, but they are maxed out for stiffness and they're still pretty soft. You can crank down the preload in the rear, and I guess you could add thicker oil up front. I'm not looking for an MXer, but some of the desert riding I do can be a little rough. Just not familiar enough with these bikes to know how well they hold up?
Thanks again!

thadius
09-12-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm starting to see the wisdom in your analysis. I don't want to be broken down in the middle of BFE.
Thanks guys!!!