PDA

View Full Version : Ike

Dragon
09-16-2008, 10:17 AM
I fled Hurricane Ike on my Hi Bird with a small bag and a 2 gallon gas can tied to the rack. The bike performed flawlessly. On the way out, I rode 400 miles on mostly state highways and at an average speed of about 60-65 MPH. On the way back, I rode on larger state highways and some interstates; and the average speed was about 65-70 MPH. The only problems were stiff neck, sore butt, and, probably, permanent hearing loss. My Bird now has over 3500 miles on the odometer. There has never been any serious issue. I'm impressed, for a $1200 brand new bike. In my haste to flee the city, I forgot to pack my camera. I would probably not try any like this again on this Hi Bird. It was just to tiring, and my ear was ringing for hours after the rides.

srreynolds2003
09-16-2008, 12:44 PM
WOW! that is one long ride on the Bird...

I am glad to hear you are ok. I stayed in Houston for IKE. My house is further north so it was not too bad. We did not get power back until last night. My Father n Law's house got hit pretty hard. A tree fell and took out his garage and his pick-up truck.

It is really sad about Galveston...so many cool places gone....

AZ200cc
09-16-2008, 12:56 PM
Glad to hear it all went well, And You get the iron butt award for this month :lol:

DanB
09-16-2008, 04:25 PM
wow... evacuating on your bike was both brilliant and stupid. I approve! http://www.nlife.org/phpbb/images/smiles/clapping.gif Good to hear everything worked out alright.

Dragon
09-16-2008, 06:39 PM
The advantage of a motorcycle is lanesplitting. Luckily, I didn't have to do much of that. Texas cagers are really annoyed by lanesplitting motorcyclists.

My house also suffered some damage. There are several large tree limps on my yard; and one of 'em hit the roof over my garage and poked a good size hole thru the roof and ceiling. All of the down trees belongs to neighbors; so I'm pissed that they planted trees so close to my house.

Also, I was wrong about the mileage. According to Google Maps, my trip from Houston to Fort Worth via state hwy was only 320 miles.

tigertamer
09-17-2008, 02:55 AM
Also, I was wrong about the mileage. According to Google Maps, my trip from Houston to Fort Worth via state hwy was only 320 miles.

That's still "Iron Butt" status 8)

TT

TurboT
09-18-2008, 01:59 AM
My thoughts to you repairing your house and fleeing a nasty storm. Sometimes we get caught up in life and forget about the important things. Glad you're safe and sound. I'm happy I don't live in hurricane land.

However, think of me when the ground shakes beneath me and buildings come crashing down, up here in the Pacific Northwest where they've been calling for the 'big one' for quite a number of years. I still remember earth quake drills in elemental school some 28 years ago.