PDA

View Full Version : What type of Lock tite?

sheadouglas
02-15-2007, 06:58 PM
What type of lock tite do yall use?

NewEnglandTrails
02-15-2007, 07:06 PM
I use Blue loc-tite.

NET

mdsuave13
02-15-2007, 07:07 PM
i have red and blue.. red for anything that gets exposed to heat... exhaust, motor, etc...

blue for everything else. just remember a dab will do ya... :)

sheadouglas
02-15-2007, 07:11 PM
Should I be putting loc -tite on EVERY SINGLE BOLT, SCREW, ETC...?
I know this has probably been posted, I just tighten everything up about every week or two. Now that I am going to be hitting the trails more, I want to get a permanent tightening.

mdsuave13
02-15-2007, 07:14 PM
anything you take apart, loctite back together.. every bolt, screw, everything... :)

take apart what you can get to easily, loctite and then when you start breaking things, loctite as necessary...

ambassador
02-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Loc-Tite every single nut, bolt, screw you can possibly get to and then the ones you can't get to, start taking stuff off to get to them.. All of the nuts, bolts, screws need to be checked, when china man built your bike he didn't use a whole lot of muscle and as everyone will tell you, they have found stuff loose or just finger tight.. Get yourself a sharpie marker and take everything off, loc-tite it and reinstall then mark it so you know it's been done, also get some lock washers and put them anywhere you can too... This is VERY IMPORTANT and may save your life or at least some parts of your bike.. I'm sure anyone on here will tell you the same.. Not trying to scare you but safety should be of the utmost importance...

Beerslayer
02-16-2007, 12:31 AM
Marking them with a sharpie is a great idea.

When I used to work as a heavy duty mechanic on logging equipment, I used to use either red loctite or antiseize.

I don't loctite EVERYTHING on the bike, but almost. I have noticed that the blue loctite also keeps rust from forming on the threads. It is harder to get the bolt out, but you CAN get it out.

After the initial work on my bike, I went down to the Napa auto parts store and bought a selection of the most common metric bolts on my bike. If a bolt is not in good shape, I replace it with a new one. The last thing I want is a bolt sheared off or a head rounded off when I need to remove it.

I noticed in the forums on Thumpertalk that all the Japanese bike owners are having to check their bolts and use loctite too. It's not just China bikes.

frostbite
02-16-2007, 05:48 AM
I don't use locktite. I prefer to replace questioniable fasteners with a stainless steel unit and a lock washer. It hasn't failed me so far.

IronFist
07-11-2007, 12:37 AM
Red and blue, Canadian Tire bolt gripper. Lock washers, not fender washers for everything I reassemble. I have a pic of my plastic chain guard that I'll post in my album, pg 8 of gallery. I believe the locktite I used ate the plastic. From now on I'm going to make sure I don't get any loctite on plastic, rubber washers, wires or anything else except the threads of the bolt I want gripped. :wink:

Jim
07-11-2007, 01:55 AM
I use blue loctite on any bolt that has fallen out and is being replaced, or any bolt I've had off and replacing. I'm not looking to tear the thing apart bolt by bolt, I will loctite on a need too basis.

gyjoe
07-11-2007, 06:45 AM
I read a post some time ago saying that the bolts on the engine should be okay without loctite. So I did everything else and left the engine alone. Everything has been fine, except I did find that the exhaust header bolts had come loose. I tightened them up and used lock washers to keep them tight.

fatboy250
07-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Red everywhere....I don't discriminate :roll: I want stuff to stay tight.

goldshadow
07-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Red anyplace it'll fit. :)

AZ200cc
07-11-2007, 11:15 PM
An old mechanic I knew used to say that cross thread was better than loctite :lol:

MOTOXtreme
07-12-2007, 09:57 AM
An old mechanic I knew used to say that cross thread was better than loctite

:lol:
I was going to say that. I say that all the time. Kidding of course, Being a dealer I was not sure it was appropriate.