PDA

View Full Version : Where were you in 1962?

katoranger
11-14-2008, 02:11 PM
This is an email from my Dad.

HELLO---GUESS WHO??? HE WAS SERVING IN KOREA... I HEARD THAT I AM A VETERAN. WE HAD A MISSILE BATTALION THA INTENDED TO KEEP S. KOREA PROTECTED FROM COMMUNIST N. KOREA. THE DMZ WAS A DANGEROUS BORDER. NO IMMIGRANTS CROSSED THAT BORDER UNLESS THEY WANT TO BE DEAD.

I DROVE JEEPS AND TRUCK IN ALONG THE DMZ. THERE WERE SOME OCCASIONAL AMBUSHES. OTHERWISE THE DUTY WAS FUN DRIVING THE MOUNTAIN ROADS IN KOREA. I HAVE MANY OLD PHOTOS OF KOREA TRAVELS, EVENTS, ACTIVITIES. IT WOULD BE A LONG SLIDE SHOW.

1963 OF OCTOBER I WAS DISCHARGED; WENT HOME; AND SOON AFTER PRES. JFK WAS ASSASINATED IN DALLAS TX. I REMEBER WELL THE DAY IT HAPPENEND. 1961 THE CUBAN MISSISLE CRISIS OCCURRED, AND THE BERLIN CRISIS OCCURRED. IT DID NOT SEEM STRESSFUL TO ME AT THE TIME. BUT IT WAS A SERIOUS TIME FOR USA. MANY USA FOLKS DON'T APPRECIATE THE JOB OF PROCTECTING THEM. THERE MANY DOING THAT FOR THEM. WE HAVE MANY IN THE FAMILY WHO ARE CURRENTLY VETERANS. AND WHO HAVE BEEN IN ACTIVE DUTY. CURRENTLY LANCE IS VERY ACTIVE AND WAS ACTIVE IN IRAQ DESERT STORM TIME.

http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=10362&g2_serialNumber=1

elroyjetsn
11-14-2008, 04:26 PM
In 62' i was an adventurous 3rd grader hoping some day to be big enough to drive a gokart. :)

Hmm, still waiting... :lol:

lego1970
11-14-2008, 07:09 PM
In 62 I was in my Dad's pants about to become my older sister. I didn't enter the world until 1970. Despite the fact that I'm a product of just a good time with my Mom, Dad's are pretty cool. My parents have always been there for me. Likewise I try my hardest to be the best Dad I can to my son. It's wild how my son looks at me like I'm the greatest.....If only he knew. That's a neat e-mail.

katoranger
11-14-2008, 07:24 PM
My Dad was 20 in that picture. He has 100s of them from Korea. He was there right after the Korean conflict ended.

I wasn't around until 1977.

I posted this since no one really said a word about Veteran's Day this week.

We have all these people who sacrificed for their country and so many that are clueless to what they did for them.

I have 3 uncles and a FIL who served in Vietnam, Brother-in-law in Desert Storm and a Grandfather in WWII who lost part of an ear and most of his hearing.

Allen

IronFist
11-14-2008, 09:50 PM
In 62 I was the same as Lego. 4 years from being born. I started in 66.

"1961 THE CUBAN MISSISLE CRISIS OCCURRED, AND THE BERLIN CRISIS OCCURRED. IT DID NOT SEEM STRESSFUL TO ME AT THE TIME. BUT IT WAS A SERIOUS TIME FOR USA." Kato.

In 61, my dad was in Zierbrukken(sp), Germany. Canadian forces base for F86 saber jets. He was a refueler. My brother and sister were born in Germany during that time.

Supposedly, as the story goes, during the crisis, my dad's job was to blow the aircraft fuel storage so that the Russians didn't get it, if the nukes started dropping.

I lived on about a dozen different bases before I turned fourteen. My mom was a translator for DnD. Aunts, uncles, and a niece have all served for Canada, and that's just my living relatives that have served.

My vintage club holds it's winter meetings at the Legion. I was there just before the 11th. I said thank-you. And that's a hard thing for me to do. Rememberance is drummed into you, living on a forces base. But, I started thinking about what the old guy went through, as we were talking. He had more medals than I can count accross his chest, and his armless sleave pinned up. I said "thank-you, it really means a lot." and went for a smoke. I didn't want to get emotional talking to a guy who I thought truely brave. But it struck a deep chord. I was there enjoying my freedom, and not speaking German, because of the sacrifices of guys like that.
In the history of war, I think there is only one war that really needed to be fought. Although Rememberance day was started to remember the first world war vets, I always think of the second world war. What if the Axis powers had won, what if these old guys didn't step up the way they did, what if appeasement went on a little longer. In the going down of the sun, and in the morning, remember. In flanders fields where poppies grow, between the crosses, row on row. :cry:

Kato: Lots of Canadians in Korea too. It took a long time for Canada to recognize that, since it was an international police action. Been in Cyprus for decades now, keeping the Greeks and Turks away from each other. Lots in Afghanistuck too. Have heart, some still remember the sacrifices of the few, so that we may have our freedom. :wink:

lego1970
11-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Katoranger, it's true I didn't think nothing of Veterans day. I served from 88 until 91. I was in during operation "Just Cause", Desert Shield, and Desert Storm, although I saw no combat. I have great neighbors, and despite our political and religious differences, we manage to not only get along but are good friends. I think my neighborhood is a dyeing breed, and I think in today's world we are so split up that we forget what our neighbors are doing. I know which of my neighbors have spent time in Iraq, (2 of them) and which one's haven't ever been in the military. I love and respect them all. I guess I'm lucky that I live in a tight knit neigborhood, but I can see how in all the hustle and bustle of today's world how you'd forget the one's that have suffered both physically and mentally for your freedom. Your Father and that Generation fought hard for today's freedom and I think the people of today are no different, but it's hard to figure out what's right or wrong in today's world. I know this post may not make much sense, but I think it kinda reflects the world of today. It doesn't really make much sense, and that we are all just kinda hanging out to make sense of it all. If that makes any sense. I don't know, it's been a long night of drinking......Yeah.....

elroyjetsn
11-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Katoranger,

My dad was a provincial governor in Korea after the Japanese were kicked out and helped with the transition back to Korean rule. Before his deployment to Korea, he was a DI.

Only recently did i find out that he also had an adopted cousin who remains MIA in Korea.

Definitely have lots to be thankful for! :!:

SpeedSouth
11-15-2008, 06:33 PM
I didn't arrive until the end of 1969.

My dad was MP in the Army when my sister was born in 1968. My grandfather was one of the first troops in Japan in WWII.

I tried to join the Navy after highschool, but they wouldn't have me... 8O

werner
11-22-2008, 02:04 PM
In that time i was 3 years old, the life was easy i think.
Here in Sweden we dont have any wars in many year, and i´m glad of that.
I think that wars beacuse religion and politics are so stupid, aspecially religion that should gathering people instead, therefor i leaved the church in Sweden, my money would NOT go to the fighting.

Live well, make love and not war.
:D :D :D

Willys
11-22-2008, 06:03 PM
62 eh.....hmmm...??? thinking of attending first year of school in shorts and cap..in the coming year .England 58 is my year!

JWarren
11-22-2008, 08:22 PM
62 was my first year of life. Oh, what a year! Actually born the same day John Glenn blasted off into space. I wanted to go into the Army when I got out of school but got rejected on the medical. Man, was I bummed about that!

Stepfather was a lifer in the Navy and my youngest brother is a lifer in the Army.

My brother and my hero!:

http://www.militarychefs.com/1A/1_Sections/MilitaryChefs/ArmyChefMarkWarren.html

Thanks to all who served! It means a lot, at least to me it dose!

tokarev
11-30-2008, 12:20 AM
Born the same day too - Small world

DDG1976
11-30-2008, 03:31 AM
In 1962 my mom was 3, LOL.

psheffie
11-30-2008, 02:00 PM
1962 my father was born.

montanaoffroader
12-18-2008, 01:40 AM
I missed the first half of 1962, as I was born June 1st of that year. My dad spent his military time as a radio operator in Korea and Japan with the 7th Infantry Division 1950-1952. My military service was spent mostly stateside with the US Air Force 1980-1984.

katoranger
12-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Interesting. My Dad was a radar operator and then he drove the Chaplain around.

Allen