PDA

View Full Version : Zongshen Sierra 200 Report

SpudRider
11-19-2008, 03:52 AM
Several days ago I recorded 7,500 miles on the odometer of my new Zongshen Sierra 200 motorcycle. I have not had any mechanical problems whatsoever with this motorcycle. The Zongshen engine and the TK MV28 carburetor on this bike are superb.

I have used my bike to travel extensively in Southeast Idaho and Northern Utah. I travel a lot on both paved and unpaved roads, sometimes taking short trips lasting two or three days. I frequently ride in the mountains on a variety of dual-track jeep trails and logging roads.

My Zongshen Sierra 200 has proven to be extremely reliable; I do not hesitate to take it anywhere. Since owning the motorcycle I have only needed to replace the original chain, headlamp bulb and two bulbs that illuminate the speedometer.

My Zongshen has proven to be a rugged motorcycle that will cruise comfortably at 55 mph for hundreds of miles on secondary roads. Traveling at low speeds around town, I can get 90 mpg; I average 75 mpg with normal riding. This motorcycle is tough enough to take a good beating on steep, rocky, dual-track roads in the mountains. I live and ride the bike at a minimum altitude of 4,400 feet above sea level. I frequently take the motorcycle into the surrounding mountains to altitudes over 8,000 feet of elevation, and it has always performed flawlessly.

To give a fair report on the motorcycle I should mention a few things I dislike. First of all, this motorcycle is heavy for its size; the manufacturer claims a dry weight of 298 pounds (135 kg). I have not personally weighed my motorcycle, but this figure seems accurate to me. For the dual-track trails I enjoy riding, this is an acceptable weight. Nevertheless, it is not fun to turn this bike around on a tight trail, and I certainly don't enjoy lifting it after I drop it. However, I do enjoy taking trips of several hundred miles on the secondary roads to visit nearby towns. Over the highway the extra weight and wide saddle on this motorcycle make it much more comfortable to ride, especially when the Idaho winds are blowing at 25 miles-per-hour!

I am generally very pleased with the quality of this motorcycle's components. This motorcycle is very solidly constructed, and this undoubtedly adds to its weight. However, I do plan to make several alterations to my bike. Although it is adequate, the left switchgear could be nicer. Also, after I replaced the incandescent turn signal bulbs with LEDs, I noticed that the turn signal lenses are very flimsy. I bought some replacement turn signals, and I plan to install them at some convenient time in the future. Finally, the tires on this bike are an unusual size for a dual-sport motorcycle, especially the rear tire (130/90-15). I have found many options available for street tires, and the Cheng Shin Barracuda tires that came with my motorcycle are very nice. However, I have found only one option available in a DOT knobby rear tire, the Kingstone 130/90-15 tire that is available only from Zongshen. Fortunately, this is a very good tire; it grips well in the dirt and wears well on the street. I am now ready to replace this tire after 7,000 miles.

I paid less than $1,200 in United States currency for delivery of my motorcycle; I consider it an exceptional value at that price.

Spud :D

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq146/spudrider/ChinaMoto/Bountiful.jpg

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq146/spudrider/ChinaMoto/Andy1761.jpg

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq146/spudrider/ChinaMoto/StanleyTrip290.jpg

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq146/spudrider/ChinaMoto/Andy1235.jpg

frostbite
11-19-2008, 07:25 AM
Nice looking ride. We don't see as many Zongshen's around here as we do Lifan's.

Cal25
11-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Great report and a nice looking bike. The scenery you have available is fantastic!

Wool-Z
11-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Those tires look good, glad to here they are DOT and wear nice, gonna have to try n get me some. I like the look of that tail light too. Did you take fork gaurds of 'cause of them rubbing fender?

SpudRider
11-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Wool-Z,

My Zong came with fork protectors and barkbusters; however, I decided not to attach them. I think that my bike looks better, weighs less, and is easier to clean and maintain without them.

Thank you for the compliment on my tail light; it is a DRC Edge II with the aluminum holder kit. I needed to drill two holes in the bracket, spaced 75 mm apart. The bracket then attached directly, and solidly, to the frame. The tail end of the bike takes a good beating on the rocky trails. I think that the Edge II looks nice back there, and it lightens the rear end quite a bit.

BillR
11-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Wool-Z,
Thank you for the compliment on my tail light; it is a DRC Edge II with the aluminum holder kit. I needed to drill two holes in the bracket, spaced 75 mm apart. The bracket then attached directly, and solidly, to the frame. The tail end of the bike takes a good beating on the rocky trails. I think that the Edge II looks nice back there, and it lightens the rear end quite a bit.

Where'd ya' get the DRC kit?
Was it the one for the Suzuki DRZ?
Thanks,
Bill

SpudRider
11-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Bill,

I got the DRC Edge II tail light assembly from Langston Racing Supply.

http://www.langstonracing.com/eshopprod_cat_3652-34967_product_437265_keyword_edge+AND+tail+AND+lig ht.MOTOLED_Edge-2_DRZ400_Tail_Lig.htm

This is the model with the aluminum bracket designed for the Suzuki DRZ400S/SM.

deputygene
11-19-2008, 09:20 PM
how big is the gas tank on your bike? What kind of range in miles do you get? I think the motor on my Tank trail 200 is a Zong Shen. The motor on mine has been reliable, the other components not so much.

SpudRider
11-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Gene,

The total fuel capacity of my motorcycle is 2 U.S. gallons. The main tank holds 1.8 gallons with 0.2 gallons in reserve. Even if I am running full throttle, I can usually travel at least 120 miles before I empty the main tank. I can then travel about 15 miles before the reserve tank runs out of fuel. If I could change things I would certainly like a larger fuel tank. Whenever I am heading way out into the boonies I carry extra gasoline in a jerry can attached to my luggage rack.

The Sierra 200 is a Chinese clone of the Yamaha TW200. The Japanese bike has the same size fuel tank, and I don't know of anyone who makes a larger, aftermarket replacement for it.

Spud :)

BillR
11-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Bill,

I got the DRC Edge II tail light assembly from Langston Racing Supply.

http://www.langstonracing.com/eshopprod_cat_3652-34967_product_437265_keyword_edge+AND+tail+AND+lig ht.MOTOLED_Edge-2_DRZ400_Tail_Lig.htm

This is the model with the aluminum bracket designed for the Suzuki DRZ400S/SM.

Thank you muchly.
I have a crack on the stock mount :( and need to start shopping for a replacement. :lol: More tinkering :lol:
Bill

Willys
11-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Are all these China bikes 4 stroke??? I ask because it looks like an expansion chamber in your exhaust....that's all. Looks like another great little bike for a fantastic price!

katoranger
11-20-2008, 10:01 AM
The sierra had a heat shield that makes it look like an expansion chamber. It is a 4 stroke.

Allen

SpudRider
11-21-2008, 02:17 AM
Willys,

Allen is correct. The heat shield covering the exhaust pipe is a little deceptive; however, it does seem to help prevent dirt collecting around the spark plug. Below is a picture of the exhaust pipe with the heat shield removed.

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq146/spudrider/ChinaMoto/ZongMaintenance067.jpg

Wool-Z
11-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Spud, It seems this picture was taken during valve adjustment correct? I was wondering if you had more pics. I need to adj. mine and was just curious.

SpudRider
11-22-2008, 12:45 AM
Wool-Z,

Yes, I took the previous photograph while I was doing a valve adjustment on my Zongshen. I do have more photographs of the procedure, and I will post them soon in a separate thread.

Red2003 authored the superb Valve Adjustment Tutorial thread posted as a "sticky" at the top of this forum. The information posted in this thread will be a great help to anyone wishing to learn more about this procedure.

Poet_and_Madman
11-29-2008, 01:31 AM
The bike looks great, where did you purchase it?

SpudRider
11-29-2008, 06:54 PM
The bike looks great, where did you purchase it?
I found my Sierra 200 on the Seattle Craigslist where an importer was selling leftover 2006 models, new, in the crate.

phil
11-29-2008, 08:47 PM
:oops:

phil
11-29-2008, 08:47 PM
to poet madman would you post a pic of your bike ive never seen a green one (assuming thats what the signature means) but i also didnt know it was a clone of a tw200, i knew it was somebodys just not what but then they dont let me out much

tcs
12-03-2008, 12:58 PM
A couple cross China and Mongolia on Zongshens Sierras:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371656

tcs

katoranger
12-03-2008, 04:15 PM
That was quite a read. Those zongshens apparently gave them few problems for the distance travelled.

SpudRider
12-04-2008, 05:55 AM
A couple cross China and Mongolia on Zongshens Sierras:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371656
Thanks for letting us know about the great link! The above story posted by Mr. and Mrs. Owl corroborates my own experience that the Sierra 200 is ready to go on an adventure, right out of the shipping crate.

Here is another link about some gentlemen touring China on Zongshen 200GY motorcycles. This story helped me to decide to purchase my own Zong.

http://www.danielmontejo.com/Pictures/motofall2005/themachine.htm

P.S.
Mr. and Mrs. Owl both got Zongs with the ugly front fender! I am certainly glad that I got a Sierra 200 with a decent fender.

SpudRider
12-07-2008, 02:05 AM
I mentioned earlier in this thread that the Zongshen Sierra 200 is a "clone" of the Yamaha TW200. To avoid the possibility of misleading anyone, I feel that I should point out that the Sierra 200 is not an exact replica of the Yamaha TW200. There are many similarities, but there are also many differences.

I do not own a Yamaha TW200. However, based upon my research of the Yamaha I will try to outline the main similarities and differences between the two motorcycles. First we will examine the Sierra 200 engine.

The Zongshen engine copies the engine block used in several Yamaha motorcycles. The 196cc version of this engine is the basic powerplant for the Yamaha TW200 dual sport motorcycle. However, the same engine block with a slightly larger, 223cc displacement is the powerplant for both the Yamaha XT225 dual sport motorcycle and the Yamaha TT-R225 and TT-R230 dirt bikes.

The Sierra 200 employs a replica of the smaller, 196cc engine used in the Yamaha TW200. However, the Sierra 200 differs in using the shorter countershaft from the larger, 223cc versions of this engine. This shorter countershaft places the front sprocket closer to the engine of the Sierra 200 than to the engine of the TW200. Therefore, the Sierra 200 cannot be easily modified to accept the wider, 180/100-14 tire of the TW200. If you lace a TW200 rear rim to a Sierra 200 rear hub, the wider TW200 wheel will not have enough clearance with the drive chain because of the Zongshen's shorter countershaft.

The engine mounting points are the same in both the Zongshen and Yamaha motorcycle frames. You could bolt the 223cc version of the Yamaha engine into the Zongshen frame, and the sprockets would align. However, if you bolted a TW200 engine into the Zongshen frame the front sprocket would be too far from the engine to properly align with the Zongshen swingarm.

Because several Yamaha engines share the same engine block, the Zongshen Sierra 200 uses the same oil filter as the Yamaha TW200, XT225, TT-R225 and TT-R230 motorcycles.

The Sierra 200 engine has both kick and electric starters. The latest models of the Yamaha TW200 have only an electric starter.

max_damage
12-07-2008, 06:13 AM
I also own Zongshen Sierra,so far 15.500 km and still running strong :D . What about similarities to Suzuki DR 200,so far exahust are the same one,front brakes are same one (i know becouse i put new brake pads vesrah for suzuki).

SpudRider
12-07-2008, 07:36 PM
I also own Zongshen Sierra,so far 15.500 km and still running strong :D . What about similarities to Suzuki DR 200,so far exahust are the same one,front brakes are same one (i know becouse i put new brake pads vesrah for suzuki).
Max,

Thank you for the good report on your Sierra 200 after 9,300 miles (15,500 km). I am personally unfamiliar with the similarities between the Zongshen Sierra 200 and the Suzuki DR200. My research has concentrated on the Yamaha TW200. Can you tell me more? Do you remember the part number for the Vesrah brake pads you purchased for your motorcycle? Did you replace the entire exhaust system on your Sierra 200, or just the muffler? Does the Suzuki exhaust system match up with the Sierra 200 mounting points?

max_damage
12-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Do you remember the part number for the Vesrah brake pads you purchased for your motorcycle? Yes, Vesrah VD-312, here http://catalog.vesrah.co.jp/catalog/shape/VD-312.html
Did you replace the entire exhaust system on your Sierra 200, or just the muffler? Does the Suzuki exhaust system match up with the Sierra 200 mounting points?No,no i didnt replace exhaust, i know guy who is owned Suzuki DR200,so by the look i think the mufflers are the same.[/url]

SpudRider
12-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Max,

Thank you for supplying the information and the web link for the front brake pads! I just examined my front brake caliper and confirmed that the Sierra 200 uses Vesrah brake pads VD-312 or SD-312. The VD-312 brake pads are organic, and the SD-312 brake pads are semi-metallic. My motorcycle came equipped with the semi-metallic, VD-312 brake pads. According to the Vesrah parts catalog these brake pads are also used by the Suzuki GP125, and the Hyosung GF125 motorcycles.

Searching the internet I discovered the Hyosung GF125 repair manual at the following url (uniform resource locator).

http://www.simamoto.fr/Home/SMATLC.Nsf/0/A4B7B9BED814B694C125711E00559C0D/$FILE/SERVICE%20MANUAL-GF125.pdf?OpenElement

I can verify that the Sierra 200 uses the Hyosung GF125 front brake caliper. I downloaded the above manual and used the information following page 6-22 to disassemble and inspect my front brake caliper and brake shoes. I will post my findings soon in another thread.

Inspecting my rear brake drum I discovered that the Sierra 200 comes equipped with organic brake shoes that measure 130mm in diameter by 28mm in width. I believe the best aftermarket replacement for this brake shoe is Vesrah part VB-223.

http://catalog.vesrah.co.jp/catalog/shape/VB-223.html

This brake shoe is used by a large number of Yamaha motorcycles. You can discover which motorcycles use a particular Vesrah brake product by typing the part number in the Buyer's Guide box at the Vesrah on-line catalog.

http://catalog.vesrah.co.jp/list/dirt_brake.asp

SpudRider
12-12-2008, 05:59 AM
Another similarity between the Zongshen 200GY-2 (a.k.a. Sierra 200) and the Yamaha TW200 is the carburetor/airbox assembly.

Yamaha sales literature lists the TW200 carburetor as a Mikuni. In fact, the Yamaha TW200 carburetor is a constant velocity, TK MV28, the same unit employed in the Zongshen Sierra 200. Once again, however, there are minor differences.

The TW200 has a two-cable throttle that attaches to the butterfly valve on the right side of the Yamaha carburetor. The Sierra 200 uses a one-cable throttle, with return spring, that attaches to the butterfly valve on the left side of the carburetor.

The TW200 has an enricher/choke knob that attaches directly to the left side of the carburetor. The Sierra 200 has a remote enricher/choke lever on the left handlebar that attaches to the same location on the TK carburetor.

The pilot mixture screw on the TW200 is hidden behind a metal, or rubber plug on the bottom of the carburetor, forward of the float bowl. The pilot mixture screw on the Sierra 200 is easily accessible on the left side of the carburetor, forward of the float bowl.

Except for several other, minor differences, the two TK MV28 carburetors are identical.

The airboxes that connect to the two carburetors are also, almost identical. Each airbox incorporates the battery compartment, located under the seat. The Sierra 200 battery compartment appears to be a little larger; therefore, Zongshen owners can choose a battery with slightly larger dimensions. It appears that the foam air filter element for both motorcycles is also identical.

max_damage
12-12-2008, 06:37 AM
The TW200 has an enricher/choke knob that attaches directly to the left side of the carburetor. The Sierra 200 has a remote enricher/choke lever on the left handlebar that attaches to the same location on the TK carburetor
Well,mine zongshen has choke directly on carburator,not on handlebar.

SpudRider
12-12-2008, 01:58 PM
The TW200 has an enricher/choke knob that attaches directly to the left side of the carburetor. The Sierra 200 has a remote enricher/choke lever on the left handlebar that attaches to the same location on the TK carburetor
Well,mine zongshen has choke directly on carburator,not on handlebar.
Max,

Thank you for pointing out this difference. :)

Zongshen makes several, slightly different models of the 200GY-2 for export to different nations. I should mention that all of the information I have related is based upon the 2006 Zongshen Sierra 200 motorcycle that I purchased in the United States of America. Models of this motorcycle exported to Asia, South America, Europe and other continents will sometimes have minor differences in the carburetor, exhaust system, and other components.

The comparisons I make to the Yamaha TW200 are also based upon the latest models of this motorcycle sold in the United States.

SpudRider
12-14-2008, 02:38 AM
The Zongshen Sierra 200 also closely imitates both the instrument cluster and the wiring system of the Yamaha TW200.

The Sierra 200 speedometer is the same size and shape as the Yamaha speedometer, as is the instrument light cluster. Unlike some other Chinabikes, the United States odometer of the Sierra 200 records miles traveled, not kilometers. The United States speedometer of the Zongshen indicates speeds in both miles-per-hour and kilometers-per-hour. However, the mph numbers are much smaller, and more difficult to read, than the kph numbers.

Also, the electrical wiring diagrams of both motorcycles appear very similar. However, there are some minor differences. For example, the Yamaha TW200 also employs its front turn signals as running lights; the Zongshen does not. Therefore, the TW200 has three wires going into the front turn signals, instead of two. Like most other Chinabikes, the Sierra 200 employs a BA20D headlamp bulb; the TW200 uses an H4 headlamp bulb. In another, minor variation, the two motorcycles use a different color code for their wiring systems. However, given the many similarities between the two electrical systems, it seems reasonable that many electrical components should be interchangeable.

In summary, I must state that the Yamaha TW200 is a well-built motorcycle with both proven durability and an extensive, international dealer network; the Zongshen Sierra 200 has yet to prove itself in both these regards. A prudent buyer should never underestimate these important facts. As stated many times on this forum, anyone purchasing a Chinese motorcycle should be prepared to maintain the motorcycle himself. He should also be prepared to experience greater difficulty obtaining replacement parts for his motorcycle.

Other than these very important, primary facts, my personal experience indicates that the other main differences between these two motorcycles are price, appearance, tire size and weight. The last two factors are not insignificant. As stated earlier, I know of only one DOT, off-road, rear tire available for the Sierra 200. Of course, you can change the tire sizes on this motorcycle, but it costs additional time and money to do so. Lastly, in stock form, the Sierra 200 weighs almost forty pounds more than the stock TW200. The Zongshen Sierra 200 is a heavy motorcycle for its size.

All factors considered, I am very happy with my 2006 Zongshen Sierra 200. For the price I paid, I consider it an exceptional value. After riding it over 8,500 miles this year, I am now putting it into storage for the winter. God willing, I hope to enjoy riding it for many years to come.

SpudRider
12-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Here is a list of PDF files and on-line resources I have discovered for the Zongshen Sierra 200 (a.k.a. ZS200GY-2). I wish to offer special thanks to ChinaRiders member Forchetto for providing the first two links:

Zongshen Sierra 200 Service Manual for Europe (PDF)
http://www.mychinamoto.com/downloads/LZX200GY-2EC-Manual.pdf

Zongshen Sierra 200 Parts Manual
http://www.zongshen.com.au/downloads/LZX200GY-2.pdf

Here is an online parts catalog for the Sierra 200 at the Zongshen International web site:
http://parts.zongsheninternational.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductNo=120000083

I discovered the Hyosung GF125 Service Manual. This manual contains information on the Sierra 200 front brake caliper following page 6-22.
http://www.simamoto.fr/Home/SMATLC.Nsf/0/A4B7B9BED814B694C125711E00559C0D/$FILE/SERVICE%20MANUAL-GF125.pdf?OpenElement

The Zongshen Sierra 200 copies many components used in the Yamaha TW200 motorcycle. Therefore, several Yamaha manuals contain much useful information for the Zongshen owner. Following are some links to on-line resources for the Yamaha TW200:

Yamaha TW200 Service Manual (PDF)
http://www.mediafire.com/?34muedntyxz

2001 and newer model supplement to the Yamaha TW200 Service Manual (PDF)
http://www.mediafire.com/?0mzulnyzogg

Yamaha TW200 Owner’s Manual (PDF)
http://www.mediafire.com/?8zubjzjyioj

Yamaha Mexico’s web site with PDF parts catalogs for the TW200, model years 1994-2001, 2003 and 2008.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com.mx/Manual_Partes/catalogo.php?cate=On-Off&mode=TW200

I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

bex
12-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks Spud, your zeal for the Zong is quite impressive, appreciate all your links, they should come in handy!

All the best to you and yours this holiday season.

Regards

suprf1y
12-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Thats quite a nice looking bike.
I wish we had those here.

oreo
03-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Hey Spud,

I just got a Zong Sierra 200, and I was wondering if you had any problem getting it registered? I have a Manuf. Certifacate of Origin, which the person I bought it from says is the same as the title. I am stil putting the bike etogether so i have not started the registration process. Wouldl like a heads up. Thanks.

oreo
03-27-2009, 02:05 PM
P.S.
I ask because i think i purchased the bike from a guy in Seattle. Maybe the same person you bouight yours from.

SpudRider
03-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Hey Spud,

I just got a Zong Sierra 200, and I was wondering if you had any problem getting it registered? I have a Manuf. Certifacate of Origin, which the person I bought it from says is the same as the title. I am stil putting the bike etogether so i have not started the registration process. Wouldl like a heads up. Thanks.
Welcome to the forums, and congratulations on your new Zongshen Sierra 200! :) I did not have any problems registering my Zongshen in the state of Idaho. :)

However, the registration process is different for every state. I encourage you to contact your local Department of Motor Vehicles; they will tell you exactly what you need to do to register your new motorcycle. :)

FastDoc
03-27-2009, 03:11 PM
In Washington I needed a bill of sale, an odometer certificate, and the certificate or origin for the Lifan (HSUN, actually, but I think it's the same bike).

The Q came all registered from the dealer.

SpudRider
03-27-2009, 03:21 PM
In Washington I needed a bill of sale, an odometer certificate, and the certificate or origin for the Lifan (HSUN, actually, but I think it's the same bike)...
In Idaho I needed the MCO and a bill of sale which included the odometer reading. I also needed to make an appointment with the police to conduct a VIN inspection on the motorcycle.

Contact the local DMV as soon as you can, and they will help you make the process as painless as possible. :)

oreo
03-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the responses, and thanks for the welcome!!

SpudRider
03-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the responses, and thanks for the welcome!!
If you get a chance, please post some photographs of your new motorcycle. We love photographs! :D

AZ200cc
03-29-2009, 12:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqzWhFzBHz8

:D

Wanna mod it?

oreo
04-01-2009, 02:15 AM
Well I'll start with an udate on my previous question...Registration here in Renton was pretty easy. I took my Certificate of Origin and Invoice to the local DOL/DMV. A lady asked a few questions i did not know the answer to, so we made stuff up, soon after I walked out with a tag and registration. Lady told me it would be a couple of weeks before i get my title.

I had called a Zongshen dealer in Eastern, WA before placing my previous post and they were the ones telling me i would have trouble getting my registration and title, I will find out in a couple of weeks. He was probably just upset i got the same bike they sell for half the price.

A few problems I ran into:

1. There is no assembly instructions. It took me a few hours to put some pieces together like the bark busters and fork guards. It is not as easy assembly as posted on craiglist.

2. Incorrect hardware; while installing the front fender the illustration called for 20 mm screws, i only found 25 mm which were a little long, but you can use extra washers to pick up slack.

3. The positive cable for the battery was too short, I had to buy a cable extension for the cable to reach the terminal. The battery also sits high and creates a small gap under seat.

http://picasaweb.google.com/oreo313/ZongshenSierra#5319594961969140018
http://picasaweb.google.com/oreo313/ZongshenSierra#5319594986912802450
http://picasaweb.google.com/oreo313/ZongshenSierra#5319594995296691922

4. My oil filler cap is directly under exhaust pipe, i had to cut the cap's prongs in order to remove cap and add oil.

http://picasaweb.google.com/oreo313/ZongshenSierra#5319594962950433106

5. I broke the aft edge of the air intake box cover trying to remove it, I saw Spud modified his frame for this reason.

6. My right rear blinker blew out.

7. Had a fuel leak over the fule shut-off valve, had to remove and replace o-ring.

8. Have to tighten up slack in chain.

9. I am still regulating the carb to find the bike's (and mine) happy place.

On the bright side:
1. The bike handled pretty good on the road.
2. Was sturdier than i thought
3. Very maneuverable.

I hope i get my money's worth once i get that carb adjusted right. I will look into mods later down the road, right now i must get those offroad tires. The Zongshen dealer in Naches, WA has the set for $140. I will install them after the break in period.

Will try to post pics when the sun comes out!

Thanks Spud for all of your posts and tutorials, big help!!

bex
04-05-2009, 10:41 PM
To be honest Oreo, I have had 6 of these bikes in my posession over the last 14 mths. All have had some weird qwirks in the build phase out the crate that needs some TLC to work out to get it road worthy. Having some mechanical knowledge + experience around motorcycles helps to get things adjusted.

After all is said and done though...The bike performs like a dream and the pound for pound dollar for dollar value is very hard to be beat by anything out there, when comparing a brand new bike, chinese of japanese.

I hope you enjoy your Zong! As a caveat, I just got around to installing an FMF Q2 on a customers bike, I became a dealer for the Sierra locally, and it took some welding to get it done right, but let me tell you, the difference is amazing. Very worthwhile mod, and I am looking for another exhaust mod for one of my other bikes.

Peace

SpudRider
04-06-2009, 01:04 PM
...Registration here in Renton was pretty easy…Lady told me it would be a couple of weeks before i get my title…
I have heard that getting the Zongshen 200GY-2 registered in Washington is an easy task. I am glad things went well for you. :D Also, it is common for state governments to take several weeks to process a vehicle title.
...I had called a Zongshen dealer in Eastern, WA before placing my previous post and they were the ones telling me i would have trouble getting my registration and title, I will find out in a couple of weeks. He was probably just upset i got the same bike they sell for half the price.
I think you are correct. ;)
...A few problems I ran into:

1. There is no assembly instructions. It took me a few hours to put some pieces together like the bark busters and fork guards. It is not as easy assembly as posted on craiglist…
I must admit, one of my friends is an experienced diesel mechanic, and I had my Zong delivered to his shop. I watched and helped as he assembled my motorcycle. Needless to say, he didn’t have any difficulties. ;) He just looked at the drawings in the 200GY-2 Parts Catalogue to understand how things were assembled. :D
...while installing the front fender the illustration called for 20 mm screws, i only found 25 mm which were a little long, but you can use extra washers to pick up slack…
I don’t remember having any problems of that type, but thanks for the tip! Future Zong owners should take note. ;)
...The positive cable for the battery was too short, I had to buy a cable extension for the cable to reach the terminal. The battery also sits high and creates a small gap under seat…
Yes, the positive battery cable was also too short on my motorcycle. My friend fabricated a longer cable, similar to yours. Zongshen supplies the 200GY-2 bike with a very nice Yuasa YB7-A battery. However, this battery is slightly longer and taller than the Yuasa YB7C-A battery used by the Yamaha TW200. Also, the Zong battery has the overflow vent on the left side when the battery terminals are placed aft.

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq146/spudrider/200GY-2%20Battery/ZongMaintenance014.jpg

The YB7C-A battery used in the TW200 has the overflow vent on the left side with the battery terminals forward.

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq146/spudrider/200GY-2%20Battery/YB7C-A.jpg

The overflow vent must be on the left side, or the seat will not fit on either motorcycle. Therefore, 200GY-2 owners need to place the Yuasa YB7-A with the battery terminals aft, and this requires the longer positive battery cable. ;)

The YB7-A that came with my Zong is an excellent battery, and I am sure it will last a long time with proper care. However, the YB7C-A battery is 17mm shorter in height, which makes it much easier to replace the removed seat on the motorcycle. Therefore, when I need to replace my Zong battery, I will probably choose the YB7C-A model used by the Yamaha TW200. ;)

If you want to learn more about battery options for your Zongshen 200GY-2, do a search over at the TW200 forum. You can learn a lot about your Zongshen 200GY-2 motorcycle by reading about and researching the Yamaha TW200. ;)
...My oil filler cap is directly under exhaust pipe, i had to cut the cap's prongs in order to remove cap and add oil…
I use an ordinary pair of pliers to remove my oil cap, and I use a funnel to add the new engine oil. ;)
...I broke the aft edge of the air intake box cover trying to remove it, I saw Spud modified his frame for this reason…
Yes, do the frame mod; it make air filter maintenance much easier! Don’t ask me how I know…:lol:

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq146/spudrider/200GY-2%20Battery/ZongMaintenance001.jpg

However, I strongly suggest you rent or buy an angle grinder for this job! The steel used to construct the Zongshen frame is very hard, and you don’t want to try cutting it with a dremel tool! Don’t ask me how I know…:lol:
...Had a fuel leak over the fule shut-off valve, had to remove and replace o-ring…
Thanks for the tip! I haven’t had any problems, but I will keep an eye on mine! :)
...I am still regulating the carb to find the bike's (and mine) happy place…
I have not done anything to my carburetor; it runs great. Maybe I will play with the jetting later on; right now I enjoy riding my Zong much more than wrenching on it. ;) My only adjustment was to slightly lean out the pilot mixture screw. My bike was revving too high once the engine got hot.
...I hope i get my money's worth once i get that carb adjusted right. I will look into mods later down the road, right now i must get those offroad tires…
Yes, the DOT knobby tires are great! They are the best change I have made to my motorcycle! :D I am sure you will enjoy your new Sierra 200GY-2, it is a great little motorcycle! :)
...Will try to post pics when the sun comes out!

Thanks Spud for all of your posts and tutorials, big help!!
You are very welcome. :) Please do post lots of photos, and change you oil somewhere around 500 miles. You might want to check out this oil change tutorial thread:

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7415&highlight=oil+change+tutorial

Cory
05-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Sweet pics man - first reply

SpudRider
05-20-2009, 01:10 AM
Sweet pics man - first reply
Welcome to the forums, Cory! Thank you for the kind words. :)

Welle417
05-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Well im hooked on the Zong for sure :) im saving the pennies right now to get one for the summer...
i am SO glad i found this site and hopefully ill find a Dual-sport that will make me just as glad ^_^ - -
would the almighty Spud have any thoughts on Lewpack International?

http://www.lewpackinternational.com/zongshen.html
(third one down is the SIERRA--i called the number and a guy picked up right away to tell me he would
call right back after his lunch to answer my questions... that was only a half hour ago so ill be patient and hope its a for-real price :D)
EDIT: Got a call back very promptly from Bobby Pack (very nice guy) and indeed he has orange and black Sierras for 1450 shipped- not bad i think...

Great pictures GREAT write ups and RESEARCH and i can't wait to start Riding high like the rest of you :lol:

SpudRider
05-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Well im hooked on the Zong for sure :) im saving the pennies right now to get one for the summer...
i am SO glad i found this site and hopefully ill find a Dual-sport that will make me just as glad ^_^ - -
would the almighty Spud have any thoughts on Lewpack International?

http://www.lewpackinternational.com/zongshen.html
(third one down is the SIERRA--i called the number and a guy picked up right away to tell me he would
call right back after his lunch to answer my questions... that was only a half hour ago so ill be patient and hope its a for-real price :D)
EDIT: Got a call back very promptly from Bobby Pack (very nice guy) and indeed he has orange and black Sierras for 1450 shipped- not bad i think...

Great pictures GREAT write ups and RESEARCH and i can't wait to start Riding high like the rest of you :lol:
Welcome to the forums, and thank you for the kind words! :)

I have not heard any bad reports about LewPack International; he seems to be a respectable dealer. I also think that $1,450, delivered, is a reasonable price for the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2.

Please keep us informed of your decision, and good luck! :D

SpudRider
03-11-2010, 12:40 PM
A short time ago we created a Review Forum at China Riders to help forum members evaluate bikes, tools, gear, et cetera. The Review Forum gives added exposure to rider evaluations, and is intended to make discovery of these reviews more convenient for our forum members. :) Therefore, I have moved my Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 Report into the Review Forum. ;)

Barnone
10-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Hey Spud,
Great thread. How about buying a Qlink XF200 ike I just ordered?
So you have the XT225 Clarke tank on your bike. Are the frames the same for your bike and the TW200 so that the the Clarke XT225 tank will fit the TW200? A bunch of guys over on the TW200.com would be happy if so.

SpudRider
10-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Hey Spud,
Great thread. How about buying a Qlink XF200 ike I just ordered?
So you have the XT225 Clarke tank on your bike. Are the frames the same for your bike and the TW200 so that the the Clarke XT225 tank will fit the TW200? A bunch of guys over on the TW200.com would be happy if so.
Thank you. :)

The QLink XF200, and XP200 are great bikes! However, as the founder, and self-appointed President of The Cult of The Zong, I am very happy to keep allegiance with my Zongshen 200GY-2. :D Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :P

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq146/spudrider/20K%20Loop%20to%20Malad/resistanceisfutile.gif

I recently saw a post, I think it was at the ADVRider forum, where a TW200 owner followed my example, and installed a Clarke, XT225 fuel tank on his TDub. ;)

FastDoc
10-10-2010, 01:38 AM
Heck I'm a Q owner and I've been assimilated. Once a Zongite, always a Zongite.

SpudRider
10-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Heck I'm a Q owner and I've been assimilated. Once a Zongite, always a Zongite.
You have spoken well, Billcutus of Zong. ;)

Spud 8)

Weldangrind
10-10-2010, 12:37 PM
:lol:

Does that make you the Zong King?

MICRider
10-10-2010, 12:51 PM

Does that make you the Zong King?

I like King Zong better... Gotta ring to it! :D

FastDoc
10-10-2010, 01:53 PM
There's a good vanity plate!

I never got around to getting QZUKI for my Q.

Spud, I'll do it if you do!

SpudRider
10-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Thank you for the kind words, gentlemen. :) However, I do not aspire to be a king. ;) I believe in one King only, the Lord Jesus Christ. I am content to be the founder, and the self-appointed President of The Cult of The Zong. :)

P.S. Once a Zongite, always a Zongite! However, we long for you to return to The Collective, Billcutus of Zong. 8)

FastDoc
10-10-2010, 04:25 PM
I have some Zongphobia, Brother Spud.

X2 on the one true King.

Next Chinabike for me might be a 400...

Sell Q, sell the Yamaha, and I'd have enough money for the Pitster.

Maybe in some year to come.

TurboT
10-11-2010, 02:42 AM
Thank you for the kind words, gentlemen. :) However, I do not aspire to be a king. ;) I believe in one King only, the Lord Jesus Christ. I am content to be the founder, and the self-appointed President of The Cult of The Zong. :)

P.S. Once a Zongite, always a Zongite! However, we long for you to return to The Collective, Billcutus of Zong. 8)

You folks are a bit weird...

...but that's why I love it here. 8)

SpudRider
10-11-2010, 01:00 PM
You folks are a bit weird...

...but that's why I love it here. 8)

waynec
06-11-2013, 04:56 PM
I have seen it posted that Zongshen was not coming into the US any more. I tried to get a quote from Lew pack? with no success. Today I came across this. I am sure they dont ship to Canada.....but I want a machine like this for when I am south so could work for me. The claim of it being a Zongshen is a bit vague, but there.

Could I get your assessment Spud?....and everyone else?....thx....waynec

http://www.scooterdepot.us/catalogsearch/result/?q=zongshen+200+dual+sport

FastDoc
06-11-2013, 05:11 PM
I am clearly not Spud but that bike is a different animal. That bike is a Honda based GY.

The prototypical Zong is a Yamaha clone. I don't think there have been many (any) like his imported since 2006.

FastDoc
06-11-2013, 05:12 PM
That does look like an OK deal on that bike though.

bogieboy
06-11-2013, 05:37 PM
the bike in that link is in fact NOT a zong, it is honda based Roketa DB-07, or a shineray xy200gy 460#, NOT a zong.

FastDoc
06-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Actually it MAY be a Zong. Zong also makes Hondoid motors;-)

FastDoc
06-11-2013, 06:00 PM
My 'HSUN' had a Zong 200cc Hondoid motor

SpudRider
06-11-2013, 06:12 PM
FastDoc is correct. :) That motorcycle might very well have a Zongshen engine, but it is a very different motorcycle than my ZS200GY-2. ;)

Zongshen manufactures many engines for many different brands of Chinese motorcycles. Most of the engines Zongshen manufactures are clones of Honda engines. However, my Zongshen 200GY-2 has a very faithful copy of a Yamaha engine.

Zongshen no longer exports my 200GY-2 to North America. In fact, Zongshen no longer manufactures my 200GY-2 motorcycle. :ohno: Personally, I think Yamaha told Zongshen to stop manufacturing the 200GY-2 motorcycle. :tdown:

waynec
06-11-2013, 06:25 PM
sorry guys...its a non issue anyway....just did the live chat with them and that bike is sold out. The person I chatted with did not sound at all like the pretty girl in the picture. More like some tired, miserable old gnarly guy.....w

SpudRider
06-11-2013, 06:37 PM
sorry guys...its a non issue anyway....just did the live chat with them and that bike is sold out. The person I chatted with did not sound at all like the pretty girl in the picture. More like some tired, miserable old gnarly guy.....w

I don't want to hijack my own thread. ;) However, Pitster Pro is selling the QLink/Konker Xf200 bike as the XTR 200X. You might want to start a new thread in the Dual Sport Forum to consider your options. :)

FastDoc
06-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Too bad you live so far away my buddy Ron has a 2010 GY2 with only a couple hundred miles on it in near new condition. Ron is asking $600 for it and I bet he'd take $500. See the For Sale section.

FastDoc
06-11-2013, 06:40 PM
As Spud has alluded to, CB's can still be a good value but the Golden Days are gone.

I was supplied with new $1,500 or so Q's delivered.

My HSUN cost about $900 delivered.

Every supplier had bikes and was anxious to unload them.

waynec
06-11-2013, 07:40 PM
I'm in Tucson for much of the winter. Thats where I will want to use this purchase .