PDA

View Full Version : American Lifans

DDG1976
11-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Well it looks like American Lifans hard work to rid the US of "grey" market bikes has come back to bite it's own customers in the a$$.

http://www.americanlifan.com/lifan3/customer/viewtopic.php?t=1173

http://www.americanlifan.com/lifan3/customer/viewtopic.php?t=1176

phil
11-23-2008, 09:57 PM
i cant read it since i banned from them :x maybe if somebody sent me a pm that was a cut and paste :roll:

DDG1976
11-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Here's the first thread.

Americanlifan.com
Enjoy Lifan! Enjoy Life!

FAQ
Search
Memberlist
Usergroups

You have no new messages
Log out [ ddg1976 ]

Lifans no longer street legal in PA.

Americanlifan.com Forum Index -> General

View previous topic :: View next topic

Captain Trips

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:17 pm Post subject: Lifans no longer street legal in PA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently got a letter from PennDot, warning me to remove the plate and DO NOT OPERATE VEHICLE. This was after two months of legal riding. After re-submitting the papers, they refused them again, and are saying ANY VIN'S starting with L are now sent to a special unit, where they are all turned down. That is a new thing started October 1st. So basically, anyone buying a Lifan in Pennsylvania after October 1st will most likely be turned down. And be stuck with a bike they can't ride, or even sell.
So now I have an '09 200GY-5 that I'll have to add a lampshade to, and call it a lamp.
Or sell it as a dirtbike, or try to sell it to someone in another state where they won't have to go through this bullcrap like here in PA.

'09 200GY-5 FOR SALE, CHEAP !!! Orange/black 300 miles.

admin
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:34 pm Post subject: Re: Lifans no longer street legal in PA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Captain Trips wrote:
I recently got a letter from PennDot, warning me to remove the plate and DO NOT OPERATE VEHICLE. This was after two months of legal riding. After re-submitting the papers, they refused them again, and are saying ANY VIN'S starting with L are now sent to a special unit, where they are all turned down. That is a new thing started October 1st. So basically, anyone buying a Lifan in Pennsylvania after October 1st will most likely be turned down. And be stuck with a bike they can't ride, or even sell.
So now I have an '09 200GY-5 that I'll have to add a lampshade to, and call it a lamp.
Or sell it as a dirtbike, or try to sell it to someone in another state where they won't have to go through this bullcrap like here in PA.

This is not true. PennDOT has been stepping on toes for awhile now and its the biggest crock I have ever seen. If you need help registering your bike shoot me a PM with your information. All you need to do it talk to the correct person at PennDOT and it will be passed through. This is the governments response to all the black market vehicles coming into the country.

Shawn

Captain Trips

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:04 pm Post subject: Re: Lifans no longer street legal in PA.

admin wrote:
Captain Trips wrote:

This is not true. PennDOT has been stepping on toes for awhile now and its the biggest crock I have ever seen. If you need help registering your bike shoot me a PM with your information. All you need to do it talk to the correct person at PennDOT and it will be passed through. This is the governments response to all the black market vehicles coming into the country.

Shawn

Shawn, I spoke to you 3 weeks ago, plus I faxed you the letter, MCO, ETC. on 10/23/08 at 2:00pm eastern. Haven't heard anything from you yet.

Captain Trips

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:07 pm Post subject:

Shawn, I'll have the second letter tomorrow, and I'll fax that too. They are saying ANY VIN beginning with L.

Captain Trips

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:44 pm Post subject:

I just got the papers back from the auto tags place. What they (auto tags place) told me over the phone was totally different from what the denial letter says.

The letter states my MCO is no good. All they want is a corrected MCO.

See UPDATE thread.

DDG1976
11-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Here's the second thread.

Captain Trips

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:31 am Post subject: *UPDATE* on PA legality.

OK, I just picked up the papers from the auto tag place. What they told me over the phone on Friday, was different from what the latest refusal letter says.

This latest refusal letter says:

" Title applications for two and three-wheeled motorcycles with a VIN that begins with letter "L" came into question because of discrepancies discovered between the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin (MCO) and the "Manufacturers" data base maintained by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

"The data base maintained by NHTSA lists information, required by federal regulations, on each manufacturer including their "World Manufacturers Identification Number (WMI) which are the first three characters of their VIN and a decoding of their required 17 digit VIN number.

A review of of your MCO shows a discepancy in the following area(s):

"The following VIN positions DO NOT match the manufacturer's decoding documentation:

(they circled the 4th, 5th ,6th, 10th, and 11th VIN positions)

You are urged to contact the dealer or individual who sold you the vehicle to determine if they can assist you in obtaining a corrected MCO.

If you were issued a temporary license plate, be advised that since no title or registration will be issued, it may NOT be driven.

By the way. I purchased it from Motoxtreme one week before he closed down. Brian from the closed-down Motoxtreme is unreachable.
I was recommended to Motoxtreme by someone named Arron from American Lifan.

American Lifan, please, please, please help !!!!

dsrt4

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:45 pm Post subject:

Good Gosh.....

What a nightmare!

I Hope American Lifan comes through for you.
Sounds to me like Maybe they need to Buy the bike back from you or swap you a bike straight from Texas.

I Wonder why they haven't been more helpful so far?

Captain Trips

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:23 pm Post subject:

dsrt4 wrote:
Good Gosh.....

What a nightmare!

Sounds to me like Maybe they need to Buy the bike back from you or swap you a bike straight from Texas.

I was waiting for a second denial with explanation from PennDot before I make this an issue. American Lifan is really just hearing of this. And i'm putting my faith in Shawn.

dsrt4

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:48 pm Post subject:

O I thought that you contacted them like a few weeks ago?

Captain Trips wrote:

Shawn, I spoke to you 3 weeks ago, plus I faxed you the letter, MCO, ETC. on 10/23/08 at 2:00pm eastern. Haven't heard anything from you yet.

katoranger
11-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Keep watching to see what happens. I am curious.

It took 5 months to get a title on my bike.

Allen

BillR
11-24-2008, 03:57 PM
I saw this on the Am. Lifan forum.
After much research, I bought a used bike, already titled and plated, to get around this issue of getting a new one titled.
Won't be much fun if the DMVs start pulling titles. :x
Definitely be watching to see what happens.
Hopefully, TN won't join in.
Bill

phil
11-24-2008, 08:23 PM
thanks for letting me see 8O much as i would like to say this is a problem with al i cant,,,, dont misunderstand i still say shawn will do his best (to ignore the problem) but this is a state run problem with intentions to stop all chinese bikes and from what i have read funded by the other asian import bikes but thats just what i have seen on the internet so you know its true :wink:

IronFist
11-24-2008, 08:58 PM
dsrt Wrote:
"What a nightmare!

I was waiting for a second denial with explanation from PennDot before I make this an issue. American Lifan is really just hearing of this. And i'm putting my faith in Shawn."
------------------------------
Shawn has said that I'm not looking on the bright side. This time I'm going to hope for the best. I'm sure he will clear it all up, or give you your money back. I'm sure he'll go out of his way to keep his word. Here's what he said to me...

{ Ironfist: My post was not intended to point fingers. As a whole this forum does infact have some very negative people.(not just on the topic of American Lifan) The only time I'm over here is to aide with whatever problem is at hand.} I've never met him but he sounds very helpful. :wink:

VinceDrake
11-24-2008, 11:27 PM
In as much as I have been documented as being anti-ALi, I don't think that this was a problem anyone there could have expected.

At least locally, SGI pretty much does whatever they want, whenever they want, to whomever the bloody well feel like, with little or no notice to the people supplying and selling the vehicles. I would assume the DMV in question is pretty much the same crapola.

While I'm on the subject, to pick this time to pick on "L" serial number vehicles, i.e. "Made In China" Reeks of Reganomics. More specifically, "We're going to make it really, really difficult for you to purchase a non-American vehicle."

I'm sure I'm not on Mr. Shawn's Christmas card list, but really I don't know what he/AL would know about this, or what to do about it. Matter of fact, I'm betting only about 4 people at PennDoT Know what's what, and chances are they're hiding. :D

--Vince

Al_From_PA
11-26-2008, 04:07 PM
Hi guys,
Wow, i'm famous.
I'm Captain Trips from PA.
Without realizing, I posted a new thread on the subject over in the "registration" threads, with a few links to articles on this bullcrap stunt PA is pulling on me, and others.

I would really value your opinions and ideas, on where to go with this next.

~ Al

DDG1976
11-26-2008, 05:43 PM
I personally (having a grudge) would have shawn from A.L. send you limited power of attorney papers and make him send you all the registration papers for them to title the bike for you in thier state. Then you can simply transfer a title in Pa. They shouldn't have a problem with that at the BMV. If A.L. can't straighten this out you should recieve some kind of compensation, and they should warn everyone looking to purchase a bike from them that they may not be able to title the bike. I say this after they told me since I have a grey market bike I wouldn't be able to "title it, or register it. 6 months ago titled it and registered it.

tigertamer
11-27-2008, 07:16 AM
Hi guys,
Wow, i'm famous.
I'm Captain Trips from PA.
Without realizing, I posted a new thread on the subject over in the "registration" threads, with a few links to articles on this bullcrap stunt PA is pulling on me, and others.

I would really value your opinions and ideas, on where to go with this next.

~ Al

Welcome to Chinariders, Al 8)

Tigertamer

dsrt4
11-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Im Famous too!!!!

:)

Sounds as if PA is trying to royal screw the chinese scooter crowd.

I didnt have any issues registering my American Lifan Lf100gy-3
ct70 clone here in Mo. I thought for sure I would but I saw alot lf200 enduro's zinging around so I knew they were at least getting through.

I really hope Shawn goes to battle for you.

I Donno what to say about this Motoextreme guy.
He sounds like a real winner..

olddude
02-12-2009, 02:15 PM
On 2/2/09 I walked into pendot in harrisburg PA and renewed my
registration for the year for my Lifan 200 GY-5

americanlifan
02-12-2009, 06:01 PM
AL is completely in the clear with PENN DOT now. If anyways is still having issues there please do not hesitate... shoot me an email

shawn@americanlifan.com

...Thanks...

TeamCheap
02-12-2009, 06:45 PM
AL is completely in the clear with PENN DOT now. If anyways is still having issues there please do not hesitate... shoot me an email

shawn@americanlifan.com

...Thanks...

Now that is a nice solid bit of good news.