PDA

View Full Version : Yong Jiang YJ110B ATV issues

masta
11-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi everybody, been lurking here for a bit trying to learn about my new Chinese ATV. It has been a love/hate relationship, but overall I can say it's a great machine.....when it runs.

After I bought it, I took it to my shop and tore it down and rebuilt it using loctite and anti-seize where needed. I was rewarded for doing this by my battery dying immediately after using it for 1 hour. I phoned the dealer and they said " the batteries are junk, but come by and we'll replace yours for free!" Yippee, free junk. I have since installed a battery for a Yamaha 600 sportbike, no issues with that yet.

The other major issue was the sparkplug, it went south after only a few hours of riding. I was able to find an exact replacement from NGK after scouring my local Canadian Tire for 45 mins. with my kids help. This made an immense difference it how it started and ran, it now starts no issue, ans seems to run well. The thing is we ran it for about 30 mins. when the bracket holding onto the exhaust broke free. I am a certified Tig welder, so off the ATV goes to the shop tomorrow to get welded up again.

How do people with no mechanical experience own these machines, or do they. Did I just buy a lemon, or is this all too common?

Just thought I'd share my experiences with you all, please share yours, I'd love to not feel alone in this battle.

I plan on tearing the entire machine apart and re-taping/re-routing/siliconing the wiring/starter system, any advice here?

It's a great size for my 7 and 9 year old and they LOVE IT!!!

Here's a pic of the bike, mine is black:

http://www.abibaba.ca/xcart/images/P/YJ-50E_lg.jpg

VinceDrake
11-30-2008, 06:52 PM
In as much as I hate to say it, that's pretty much about common.

--Yup the batteries are super-crap. Crappy Crap specifically. Crap Coated Crap with a crap filling.

--The sparkling plugs (OE type) are very hit and miss. I've run some for hours and hours, and the next one won't start, right out of the box. Personally, I like to replace the resistor cap with an NGK as well.

--I haven't heard a whole pile aboout exhaust brackets on the 110's, but I can't say I'm really all that surprised. :D

--While you're at it, you might want to replace the chain. They suck. They stretch, and stretch, and stretch, and stretch. Then they break. A number 428 should fit.

--The rubber bushings are pretty poor, i.e. the ones in the swing arm, and the front suspension.

Don't get me wrong, I like China-built ATV's, lots. These just seem to be problem areas. I think even someone with no mechanical experience can figure most issues out, but those who can't seem to urinate and moan on you-tube, or other such public forums about "How terrible they are."

Although, I have to say the engines are tough as nails. I've abused the crap out of my machines, without ever going inside the engine. And to my little mind, that's what it's all about! :D

--Vince

masta
11-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the reply.

What is the resistor cap?

What is 428 chain? I've only used #40, #50 etc. Is that something I'll find at a bike shop?

I see you have a 74 RD350, I used to vintage race on about 10 years ago, super fun and super reliable.

I can't complain too much about the bike because it was so cheap, but so many people I talk to have nothing good to say, what do they expect for the price?

VinceDrake
11-30-2008, 09:45 PM
The resistor cap is the piece that plugs onto the spark-plug. Most of these chine-built quads use Copper-stand igniton wire, and a resistor to cut down the radio noise. There's a 5 to 10K resistor inside that plastic cap. Also, I have noticed they're not very water-proof, using very hard rubber to seal to the plug. Not great.

#428 chain can be bought cheap at any motorcycle shop, and seems to be the universal chain of China-built 110's. I'm not sure how it related size wise to #40, but #50 fits perfect to where a #520 motorcycle chain was, so maybe there's some relationship-- But I don't know.

I kind of get the impression people expect their $750 Made-in-China quad to be a $3500 Polaris. They're not. :D Of course, I've blown up a couple of older 2-stroke Polaris' too... All things being equal, with my motorcycle addiction, there's no way I could have been able to afford a couple of quads at 4 to 5K a piece, but the Cheap, Cheerful, and Chinese quads I have allow me into a world I otherwise wouldn't have been able to afford. Personally, I'd never spend $4000 on a bike again, which is transportation, so I'd *definately* Never spend $4000 on a quad!

I love my old RD, but I think it's going to be sold soon. I've recently moved 50kms (30miles) away from my work, and the RD is many things, but a commuting machine is not one of them. I think all summer I put about 200miles on it, this year, where as my Cb900C got about 9000miles. It's a good little giant killer, but I have converted it back to street spec now. (Howling at 7500rpms in third on the highway, jsut to stay in the powerband kinda sucked!:)) Also, at 6'7" I look like a trained gorrilla on it.

--Vince

masta
12-01-2008, 05:31 AM
Thanks so much for the replies. I'll see about getting that resistor cap replaced as well, I think I saw them at CT, I can't imagine they are very expensive.

I'm going to pull the chain off ans see if #40 is a match, it sure looks the same. Maybe I can replace it with some Stainless #40.........

I'm really hoping I can make this little bike reliable because I would love to pick up another bike for my wife. I've had my eye on a Ulike 150cc, but until I can get the kids bike 100%, I'm going to hold off.

6'7" eh? Wow, I thought I looked like a gorilla on my RD Racebike at 6'3", I can't imagine being any taller!! I also can't imagine the RD as a street commuter, just too buzzy!!

Thanks for your help, it's very much appreciated.

VinceDrake
12-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Resistor caps run around $5 to $10. You might want to check with someone who knows regarding the chain #'s There may be some other factor at play that I am unaware of....

Yeah, at one point I think I had the lowest clip ons and the longest rear-sets in Rd history! When your shifter points backwards, you know maybe you've gone a little too far! :D

Anyways, we're here to help, and hopefully someone will chime in regarding chains-- The only thing I can think of is in combines, tractors, etc, They're relatively low speed chains, working under high torque, ATV and motorcycle chains would be the opposite, but that's pure BS and guesswork...

--Vince

Mobus
12-02-2008, 11:00 AM
...those who can't, seem to urinate and moan on you-tube, or other such public forums about "How terrible they are."

Heh, reminds me of the YouTube video where the guy put his kids 3 kazumas on a bon-fire until there was nothing but the frames left of them, then he dumped the burned out hulks in front of the dealership. I'd have bought all 3 of them off him "as-is" before he torched them.

As far as having mechanical skills to own a MiC ATV, that would be high on the list. Local brand name shops won't touch them, so being mechanically inclined helps quite a bit.