PDA

View Full Version : Ga$ prices?

Alaskan-Dad
12-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Another forum I visit has a thread "how much is your gas?" but almost all its members are in the U.S.and they are all posting gas prices under $2 a gallon. Here in SE Alaska I'm still paying $3.90 a gal after last summers high of $4.86 for a drop in price of 96 cents.
This got me wondering if the rest of the world is seeing gas prices drop and if so how much? Please post your high gas price, current price and location.
thanks!

winwun
12-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Here in East Tennessee, regular is around 1.60 right now, but I'm getting ready to go fill up three 5 gal cans with kerosene for my garage heater, and I'll be paying around 3.70 for the kerosene -- don't make any sense, does it ?

It just occured to me, wonder how it would be if regular gas was offered as a public utility, like natural gas, electricity, and water ?

The municipality could likely get a better price on sizeable quantities than could a service station, and a meter on the hose would keep track of how much you used, like your electric and water and natural gas does now.

I read somewhere a while back that Paris, France offered compressed air as a public utility -- guess that's because so many bicycles, huh ?

Hmmm, this might be something to get the pols behind -- I'd bet the commercial operations would squall like a mashed cat over it, though . . .

almonpoole
12-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Last time I filled up the Hummer it was $1.70 in North Alabama. I think is is at $1.65 right now though.

Almon

Jim
12-05-2008, 03:07 PM
$0.79.9 CDN / 1 Metric Liter

1 gal(US Liq) = 3.78541 L
0.799 CAD = 0.624650 USD

0.625 x 3.78541 = $2.37 us / gallon (in BC Canada)

DDG1976
12-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Here in East Tennessee, regular is around 1.60 right now, but I'm getting ready to go fill up three 5 gal cans with kerosene for my garage heater, and I'll be paying around 3.70 for the kerosene -- don't make any sense, does it ?

It just occured to me, wonder how it would be if regular gas was offered as a public utility, like natural gas, electricity, and water ?

The municipality could likely get a better price on sizeable quantities than could a service station, and a meter on the hose would keep track of how much you used, like your electric and water and natural gas does now.

I read somewhere a while back that Paris, France offered compressed air as a public utility -- guess that's because so many bicycles, huh ?

Hmmm, this might be something to get the pols behind -- I'd bet the commercial operations would squall like a mashed cat over it, though . . .

Doesn't make any sense to me either, since kerosene and diesel are BYPRODUCTS of gasoline production. It must be a supply and demand issue. The thought of fuel tanks in peoples yards is a little scary to me being a voluteer firefighter here in N. Ga. I just wouldn't want another issue to have to deal with when I'm trying to suppress a house fire.

katoranger
12-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Filled yesterday at $1.47/gal in Buford, GA.

I think the highest I paid was $4.29/gal.

Allen

tigertamer
12-06-2008, 06:55 AM
A buck, seventy-nine in the Northern Panhandle of West-By-God Virginia.

TT

winwun
12-06-2008, 08:17 AM
DDG, I was suggesting that it be piped in, with proper shut-off's, like natural gas . . .

Yeah, a tank in everybody's yard would be a bit much . . .

DDG1976
12-06-2008, 12:33 PM
I think the logistics of gas pipeline would be a big cost problem for getting it to every house. Not that I don't like the idea of being able to pump from my home. I know that people seldom "call before digging" even though it's free to have utilities marked prior to digging footings for additions, pools, new ditches etc. Now the thought of a do-it-yourselfer with a rented back hoe or ditch witch cracking into a pressurized fuel line is just as scary.

SpeedSouth
12-06-2008, 01:07 PM
I paid $1.56/Gal. before my ride yesterday.

While on the ride I saw $1.54 and $1.52....guess I didn't go far enough north. :)

Cal25
12-08-2008, 08:53 PM
I was up in Oklahoma this weekend getting geocaches in different counties of the state. I filled up at Wal-Mart in Bartlesville for 1.32 a gallon. It was mostley 1.38 elswhere in town. Still about the cheapest I saw in the eastern side of the state.

IronFist
12-08-2008, 10:00 PM
$0.79.9 CDN / 1 Metric Liter

1 gal(US Liq) = 3.78541 L
0.799 CAD = 0.624650 USD

0.625 x 3.78541 = $2.37 us / gallon (in BC Canada)
Ditto :D

katoranger
12-09-2008, 08:06 AM
My wife filled for a $1.37 in Lawrenceville, GA.

Allen

winwun
12-09-2008, 08:16 AM
I'll say one thing -- it's sure heading in the right direction.

This makes me think of the news people back when gas was sky-high, and they were explaining where every penny went, and how it couldn't be cut, well, their stupid mouths are gratefully silent for now . . .

katoranger
12-09-2008, 08:22 AM
And all those people blaming Bush for the high prices too.

I heard yesterday that gas is suppose to drop below a $1/gal here. The lifan is currently resting. At this price I will drive something with heat.

Allen

winwun
12-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Below $1, huh, well, I might just get me a couple of clean 55 gal drums and fill them up and save it for hard times, 'cause you KNOW come spring time and people start driving more, the greedy stations are gonna hike it up again . . .

DDG1976
12-09-2008, 08:28 AM
And all those people blaming Bush for the high prices too.

I heard yesterday that gas is suppose to drop below a $1/gal here. The lifan is currently resting. At this price I will drive something with heat.

Allen

I second that motion, I've been in the volvo for a couple weeks. I could have ridden to work last night, kinda wish I would have since it's supposed to rain til friday. But the Volvo is warm and dry.

katoranger
12-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Today's gas has a shelf life of about 30 days. Unless you keep it in a completely sealed steel container it will go bad before you can use it. I only buy 2 gallons at a time for my lawnmowers and tractors. This is mostly thanks to the ethanol in the gas. If you can avoid buying ethanol mixed for you yard equipment.

Gas prices continued to drop over the Thanksgiving holiday even though that is a high traveling time. It is all supply and demand in the gas market.

Allen

IronFist
12-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Today's gas has a shelf life of about 30 days?

Hey Kato, is that also true if you use a wood alcohol stabilizer? Winter here is a lot longer than 30 days and my fuel tank is FULL to prevent rusting. The stabilizer will prevent the H20 seperating from the Octane, but is the gas still good? Should I throw that gas out come spring?

gyjoe
12-09-2008, 02:24 PM

When I lived in St. Cloud MN in the late '80s, a local chain of gas stations would allow you to pre-pay at the current price for a given amount of gasoline or diesel fuel. You then used their card at their stations to use the fuel whenever you wanted, or you could squirrel it away in case of a price spike some time in the future. Back then gas prices were quite predictable in that they would rise about 20 cents/gallon in the summer and then drop back down in the winter, so you could rely on saving some money by using this service and pre-buying in the winter. That company is still doing business, but I see that now the "pre-buy" price is now about 75 cents higher than actual current prices at the pump. This chain has received national news coverage during price spikes, due to its uniqueness. I just wish this type of thing were available in more areas.
http://www.firstfuelbanks.com/

katoranger
12-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Today's gas has a shelf life of about 30 days?

Hey Kato, is that also true if you use a wood alcohol stabilizer? Winter here is a lot longer than 30 days and my fuel tank is FULL to prevent rusting. The stabilizer will prevent the H20 seperating from the Octane, but is the gas still good? Should I throw that gas out come spring?

I would drain it out and put it in the car in the spring. Then start with a fresh tank for the season. Keeping the tank full prevents them from rusting.

Allen

Willys
12-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Just put stabil in the gas before you store it for the winter...it will be fine...it always has been...in the past! My Classic truck has 5 year old gas in it with stabil and a fresh can of octane boost every spring and she fires up and runs fine...?
Yes gas will go bad if you don't put the additives in it, but it will take a long time to go off completely if you use them. IMHO....to each their own...But i do it every year fall and spring depending upon what gets put to bed.

SpeedSouth
12-09-2008, 06:06 PM
I had a van that sat for nearly 2 years with no additive in the gas, and it fired up and ran just fine (with a new battery :) ). I use a 5 gallon can for the mower and other small engines and never had a problem w/ gas going bad. It's rare that I fill the 5 gallon more than once a year.

I probably do need to drain the carb on the Lifan, but the EX will likely be ridden enough to not be a problem. Today was warm enough to have me sweating in the helmet again. Ack! 8O

It'll be cooler on the ride tonight...now if it'll only stay dry for a few more hours.

I filled the car today at $1.50/gallon. I think that's maybe the 5th tank of the year...lol

katoranger
12-10-2008, 08:10 AM
The gas really does not go bad, but it loses some of its performance. I have had issues with old gas in motorcycles and the easier solution was to drain it out and put in fresh. Old cars just don't seem to be particular on what is in them. I put all the gas that is more than a few months old into my Jeep. It burns it just fine.

The stabil gas will should still be good come spring.

I don't winterized or add anything here in GA. I ride the bikes year round and use my tractors year round. I just buy 2 gallons of gas for them at a time.

Allen

IronFist
12-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the update. I know water will seperate from the gas if stabilizer isn't used. The water stays in a layer. That layer is the bit that rusts if you don't use wood alcohol to stabilize. I have to store my tank because of weather. For the 10$ of gas I'm using I won't be cheap, I'll stick it in the car come spring. Too bad I don't have a gas lawn mower, or even 1 old tractor. :lol:

katoranger
12-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Some engines are particular with gas. It usually seems to be the more performance oriented engines.

Ethanol pretty does the same as the wood alcohol.

Back to the topic. I filled yesterday for $1.44/gal in Buford, GA. It was a $1.42 this morning.

Allen

elroyjetsn
12-10-2008, 11:51 AM
I filled up on 1.74 couple days ago in Martinsburg. Today i saw 1.62.

My bike wouldn't keep running sat. with full choke. Would start and immediately die over and over for about 5 minutes. (about 25f outside) Finally, with the battery almost dead it came to life, but ran as ragged as can be and the exhaust had a very funky smell. Like turpentine?? :?

On the road a couple minutes and it was back to normal.

Wonder if the mehanol was settling out or something. All our gas comes E10 now.

katoranger
12-10-2008, 02:36 PM
GA has gone to ethanol too. It will cause some things to swell up like foam carb floats and soften plastic/vinyl fuel lines.

Allen

winwun
12-10-2008, 04:35 PM
As per some of my earlier posts, I tried av gas, and it worked beautifully, but I found it to have corrosives that eat the gas in-line filter and made the gas line hard and brittle.

I took the cheap china gas line off (vacuum line?) and the cheap in-line filter and put a good metal in-line filter and the good braided gas line and then found a texaco station that sold regular without the ethanol, and it works almost as good as the av gas and starts quickly even in 20 degree weather and warms up reasonably well.

warrior91
12-10-2008, 10:23 PM
http://www.greendaily.com/2008/12/01/missouri-gas-stations-ditch-ethanol-to-lower-gas-prices/
:roll:
oh yah Regular $0.79/L here.

katoranger
12-11-2008, 07:52 AM
Price has dropped below what ethanol can be produced for now.
Now ethanol can be made from more than just corn. Ethanol in Brazil is made from sugarcane and there is the celloloid ethanol movement in the works. The technology for that hasn't been finalized yet, but it will allow ethanol to be extracted from wood chips, grass clippings, etc.

Allen

DDG1976
12-11-2008, 12:50 PM
I saw on discovery channel the other day where they make it out of a grass that is very common and easy to grow. Sounds good, but I don't like what it does to fuel.

warrior91
12-11-2008, 01:31 PM
We have a proposed cellulose refinery here. It started about the time Weyerhauser shut down the sawmills here. Pretty much killed it.
The Gov't was pandering to the first nations and dumped a bunch of money into the "joint" venture. What a waste...they granted money to a taxpayer funded project, :roll: that non taxpayers would run and retain the largest benefit... What a friggen waste...Now they are going to try and run it on straw...

katoranger
12-11-2008, 02:20 PM
These old things are alittle particular with today's gas.
http://ihregistry.com/forum/messages/2/139634.jpg

1966 Cub 122. 4 year old Lily.

winwun
12-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Kato, those old kosher engines will run on anything . . .

katoranger
12-12-2008, 10:37 AM
They don't run very well on stale gas and you have to turn them to the rich side for the ethanol blended stuff so that they don't burn a piston up.

I also mix a couple capfuls of MMO in the gas. It helps keep the valves clean and the exhaust valve from sticking. The engine in cub had a stuck valve. I filled it fuel of of MMO through the sparkplug hole and let it set for a day. Came back and I had compression. The MMO cleans things out too. It currently smokes alittle, but I have only run it for about 30 minutes since getting it going after a 15 year neglection.

I really think the ethanol blends are not the great for older engines unless they have been tuned to run on it.

Allen

Alaskan-Dad
12-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Well I found out why Alaska's gas prices are staying so high.

1) Alaska does not have a price gouging law. Sellers of all goods and services (including gasoline) are not required to sell products on a “cost plus” basis. Thus, it does not matter what it costs the seller to acquire the goods or provide a service. Sellers can sell their products for whatever the market will bear. There is no “cap” on the amount of profit any business can make.
(Remnants of how business was done in the gold rush days, I'm sure)

2) No competition with only 2 refineries supplying fuel!!!!!

Alaska oil story (http://thearcticsounder.com/news/show/4156)

We are screwed

winwun
12-13-2008, 03:07 PM
How close to "balancing out" the high cost of gasoline does the amount paid to citizens of Alaska come ?

For instance, in the L-48, say a person used 200 gallons per year @ $2.00 per gallon for a total of $400 for gasoline, but if the cost in Alaska was, say, $6 per gallon, he would have to pay $1,200 -- now,l how much of this could be covered by his "Oil income" from the state?

Alaskan-Dad
12-13-2008, 04:10 PM
winwun,
I see where your coming from with your question.
But at the pump is not the only place Alaskans pay the high cost of fuel our shipping, ferry travel, heat. Even electricity is effected by our fuel price with many rural villages using diesel gen sets for power.
On shipping my bikes I was charged over $100 fuel surcharge, the Ferry from my island (Prince of Wales) to Ketchikan (less than 60 miles) is $37 one way for a walk on, this year the fuel surcharge had the total over $60 each way.
The high price of fuel is harming our mining and logging companies and commercial fishermen who have compete in the lower 48 for marketing their goods.
Not to mention how gas prices affect those that hunt and fish subsistence, having gas makes the difference of having food to many people here in AK.
Bottom line that $1200 one time fuel assistance check did not offset the high cost of fuel.
As for the AK PFD with crude prices down and the way investments fell its hard to say what we might get, but the high gas prices are a sure bet.

winwun
12-14-2008, 08:03 AM
I guess Alaska is just an expensive place to live, apparently . . .

I see on TV where there are oil well fires, so crude will burn, so why would it not be possible to heat with crude, which your state seems to have in abundance ?

I can see where stuff shipped in from the L-48 would have a significant surcharge for fuel, but one would think that what you have plenty of would be less expensive, unless it is priced high to offset the cost of non-domestic goods 'n services -- I dunno -- I'm no economist, especially not an Alaskan economist, which seems to be a special breed . . .

Most of us down here see living in Alaska as something special and desireable, but like most such things, there is a pretty price tag attached.

A lot of us are sort of ho-hum abut living pretty good on 20-25K per year, and while there are no yachts and chalets, there is a certain comfort in plain vanilla living -- I guess it all boils down to appreciating what you have, instead of striving for more to appreciate . . .