PDA

View Full Version : Hensim 150cc Hunter (Gy6) from ATVDiscounter

wvcruffler
01-02-2009, 02:29 AM
Howdy all,
After seeing some improved service from ATVD in posts, I spent the just over a grand for the Hensim Hunter ATV 150cc.
I received it in about 10 days and it was delivered with liftgate service. It comes in a big frame with the wheels removed. I took the frame off and put on the wheels so I could push it up onto a trailer. At the farm I removed the rear plastic, racks, and some of the front plastic. Any nut that wasn't cotter pinned I removed and loc-tited. I couldn't find my dielectic grease, so the electrical connections will wait a bit. All connections on this bike are already covered in electical tape and nicely bundled. I drained out the "starter oil" and filled with about 750cc of 10W-40 which is midway on the dipstick. I did not change the brake fluid yet (and advice on this?). I assembled and charged the battery overnight. Today I put everything back together and attatched the battery. It fired up on the first try. It has a CVT tranny with a little shifter on the right for F-N-R. All work nicely. I am 5'7" 190# and this thing runs faster than I am comfortable with! I am very, very pleasantly suprised by this little quad. Time will tell what mayhem will become me, but there is ample repair info online for the Gy6 engine. I will break-in over the next few days with a few oil changes and will report back if anything buggers up.
DrPhil

LynnEdwards
01-02-2009, 10:29 PM
I have about 100 hours on my quad. It has been running really good now that I've gotten though the early problems. So far I have had to do the following:

1) Bad tether kill switch - replaced (eBay)

2) Defective Fuel shutoff valve - restricted passage needed to be drilled out.

3) Replace rear brake light switch - this would not adjust reliably so I replaced it with a used honda 750 brake switch on eBay.

4) Replaced the front brake lever and throttle lever assembly - result of a rollover crash (not the ATV's fault).

5) Readjust the forward/reverse gear lever - when misadjusted this causes weird lurching when going at medium speeds as it tries to climb out of gear then drops back in.

6) Replaced the battery - this battery had one cell that would boil off water every ride. The other cells were OK. The new battery seems fine.

7) I've adjusted the chain about a dozen times. It finally seems to have stopped stretching. Must mean it's about to break.

My neighbor bought a 150cc hensim quad exactly the same as mine. He has about 60 hours on it. So far he has only one thing wrong:

1) Starter motor quit turning after he drove his quad in the ocean at Pismo Beach. I had to disassmble the starter and clean the corrosion off the positive brush holder. The starter had a bad o-ring which I replaced. The same starter has worked fine ever since.

All in all not too bad...

wvcruffler
01-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Well, I thought I had my first problem with the Hensim ATV today. I had done an oil change and planned to change the spark plug. When I went to start it - it turned over but no start. Argh! I had spoken too soon! Anyway, ATV discounter includes a troubleshooting guide with their new bikes, so I took it out. It has you check the fuel delivery first, which was good. Second, you have to check for a spark. I took the sparkplug out and touched it agaisnt the exhaust as I turned it over. No spark! I went to try it again and this time my thumb accidentally depressed the kill switch (which is at rest in the center position). This time it sparked. Apparently when you use the kill switch to turn it off (which is done by pressing it left or right), to reset the switch you have to push it and it will 'click'.

OK, my ignorance aside, I then proceeded to bomb about my 95 acre farm in field and forest with reckless abandon! It goes plenty fast for a 150cc! I think I might have to get one of the 150cc scooters on principle, as if they are half as fun as this! I also have a Qlink legacy. I can rationalize the scooter purchase to my wife can ride with me!

Dr.Phil

IronFist
01-03-2009, 07:05 PM
My D/S was a 150cc, it did 65mph. I was a little suprised too, but for everyride for 3 months, the motor got stronger. Cool thing to look forward to. 8)

coloradotrailrider
01-05-2009, 10:16 PM
I bought a ToaTao Utility ATV from Vbike with a GY6 150 a year ago now for my wife and daughter. That thing seems bullet proof and is fun to ride.

The only issue I ever had with it was the vacuum opperated fuel pump between the gas tank and carb, it started leaking and was hard to start. Soloution for me was to remove it altogether and just run run the fuel line from the tank through the fuel shutoff and filter to the carb. I have never had an issue since.

Great Atvs. :D

wvcruffler
03-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Well, through one of the worst winters in recent memory the Hensim hunter keeps on going. I would load 2 hay bales on the front for traction and 2 on the back and feed the horses and llamas when there was snow on the ground. Other than a few minor issues everything has been great. I don't think it is the most thrifty on the gas (neither is my driving condusive to that). What a great buy! It is not the most fun to drive on ice, but what 250# 2 wheel drive atv is! Well worth the money! I drive it like hell and change oil often.
Dr.Phil