PDA

View Full Version : DB-K007 250cc--> No Electric or Kick Start-->Will Push

puush
01-18-2009, 02:25 AM
Hello,

I just got this DB-K007 250cc Chinese Dirt Bike and it is great. But today I was riding in mountains and stopped to look at my map and now bike just suddenly wont start by electric start or by kick starting. The bike was running and "starting" perfectly before this.

I got the bike started by coasting down a steep hill and putting the bike in 2nd gear, then "popping" the clutch. But as soon as I close throttle it will shut down, but I can push start it to get it going again.

My dad said the battery is dead so I am charging it now and will see if it starts. Why would the battery just suddenly go dead? Its new. Also, what component keeps the battery charged?? Thanks for all your help dudes.

Michael A

katoranger
01-18-2009, 08:30 AM
First. Is the battery the stock chinese one? Known to suddenly die out of the box.

Second check the main fuse in the positive battery lead. Could have failed and no power to the starter.

Charging system components. Rectifier and the stator. Rectifiers have been known to quit easily. Cheap and easy to replace.

Stator is alittle more involved.

If you look in the ATV forum a discussion is going on about a no charging atv. Most of the same tips apply to you bike.

BillR
01-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Michael,
Just a couple of things to add to Katoranger's post:

Does the bike turn over with the electric starter? (clicks).

Did it idle well before all this happened?
I would also look at the carburator settings.
If it runs OK until you close the throttle, what has changed to make that happen?
My GY-5 was a bear to kick start until I got the carb set-up better (I won't say "correctly", yet :wink: ).

Keep us posted.
Bill

puush
01-19-2009, 12:15 AM
Yes, the battery is the cheap chinese brand that came with the bike. Should I get a better one at a bike shop?

The bike does go click, click, click when I try the electric starter. And the bike started perfectly and idle perfectly when I started it before it died. I could adjust idle screw a touch.

Where is the rectifier on the bike? What does the rectifier look like? Thanks for all your help dudes.

Michael

katoranger
01-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Step one. Does the battery take a charge? It may be just a failed battery. Take it to a shop (Try Walmart) and match up a replacement. Physical size of the battery, terminal locations, and check for 12v and the Ah rating. CCA rating.

Find one that is close. More Ah or CCA will be better.

If it clicks the fuse is probably good.

Why it starts hard with the kick? Maybe the carb is still set too lean. (factory settings) Lowering the c-clip in the carb makes a big difference.

Allen

puush
01-19-2009, 07:00 PM
is that the clip on the long throttle needle?

Michael

IronFist
01-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Click click click, solinoid?
Not that I know anything for sure, JMHO, that's just a guess, because I'm tryen to help by throwing things out there.

BillR
01-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Click click click, solinoid?
Not that I know anything for sure, JMHO, that's just a guess, because I'm tryen to help by throwing things out there.
Usually the first thing that goes out is the battery.
Make sure that the battery is good,
then if you still have the click, jump over the solenoid.
If it starts, then the solenoid is the problem.
I haven't "lost" a solenoid since my 1973 Maverick Grabber.
Man, I miss that car.........

My personal experience when I bought mine used:
"It's probably going to need a battery. It'll only hold a charge for a couple of days if you don't ride it." (the seller said).
Rode it home, started fine.
Next morning when I hit the starter........Click, Click, Click.
Rode it around for a while and in to work...started fine.
Ready to leave work that night.....Click, Click, Click...........
New battery ASAP, not a problem since. :D
Bill

BillR
01-19-2009, 10:16 PM
is that the clip on the long throttle needle?

Yep, that is what you want to get at.
You may also need to adjust the idle mixture, if you can identify the screw that controls it.
Here's the thread on how to adjust the needle clip:
http://www.chinariders.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3743

Where is the rectifier on the bike? What does the rectifier look like? Thanks for all your help dudes.

Basically, it will be a finned metal box with wires coming out. There's a bunch of different styles and locations on the bike.
Ebay image of what mine looks like.
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-pin-Commuter-Regulator-Rectifier-Lifan-CityX-SG125-J_W0QQitemZ390016639895QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motor cycle_Parts?hash=item390016639895&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177
It's on the left side of the bike, under the side cover.
Bill

puush
01-20-2009, 05:48 AM
The battery is charging now. I took a 12 v battery out of my old DB-27 dirt bike and put it in my new DB-K007 Bike and it almost started so I think it is definately the battery. I bought a new 12 volt motorcycle battery from Walmart but it is too wide to fit in the battery box in the bike so I have to take it back. I am charging the battery now from my old DB-27 bike.

I almost go the the old DB-27 running ok again but that is a story in another thread.

I rode the new DB-K007 Dirt bike 3 days around my house when I first got it then it sat for a week and then I took it in mountains and crashed on my knee, "ouch". Then the bike sat for another week and i took it to the mountains again and then I stopped to look at a map and then when I went to start it again I get the click click click.

Is there like a super bad ass battery i can buy that never dies or do these punks need to be charged all the time??? Thanks for all your input gentlemen...and women.

Michael A

BillR
01-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Looks like the battery is the culprit.
You could have damaged a cell in some way when you had the crash.
I haven't been impressed with the batteries that come on these bikes anyway, which goes on to your next point.

Is there like a super bad ass battery i can buy that never dies or do these punks need to be charged all the time??? Thanks for all your input gentlemen...and women.

Not that I've been able to find yet. The AGM sealed batteries look to be the most rugged, but they're also expensive.

I have a sealed 7AH batt on my GY-5 and ride it about 30 minutes one way to work. I have not had to put it on the charger since I bought it new.

Once you get the carb adjusted and the bike starting easier plus a new battery, I don't think you'll have any problems with charging.
If you do, there's something else going on with the charging system.
Bill

katoranger
01-20-2009, 11:45 AM
The china battery in my bike is going on 3 years now. I must have got a good one. :wink:

One option is a battery tender too. These are good if you don't ride everyday. You simply attach a plug to the battery terminals that stays on the bike and then when you get home you attach it to the tender that you plug into the wall. They look like a cell phone charger. Usually less than $25.

Allen

puush
01-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks for all the help mates.

Michael A

puush
01-21-2009, 08:39 PM
It was definately the battery. I put my old DB-27 battery in my new DB-K007 bike and it started right up so I went out to practice some jumps. I was only jumping 8 to 10 feet about 2-3 foot high. And now the Rear Shock broke. Snapped right in half. What next???? I am going to open another thread.

BillR
01-23-2009, 06:34 PM
I think all we can say here is "Welcome to the world of China Bikes :!: "

As TigerTamer said regarding one of my problems:
"You may have had a little rice wine installed at the factory when yours was bolted together. :lol: "

There's a couple of shock threads over on the Dual Sport forum. Search em up.
Keep us posted on what you do.
Bill