PDA

View Full Version : Loss of American OHV freedoms.Welcome to the New world order

warrior91
01-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Anti OHV legislation runs rampant in the States....
Sounds like Californias State of mind is spreading...
Here is something interesting for anyone in NM...
There is a lot more of this to absorb...and make the public aware of loss of freedoms.

New Mexico Off-Highway Vehicle Alliance Legislative Update 2009 Session Update #2

NM ANTI-OHV BILL PROPOSED!

And it could be a humdinger! We promised that NMOHVA would send Legislative Updates as needed throughout the 60-day session to let you know what is happening and what you can do to keep anti-OHV laws from passing. We also told you about Senate Joint Memorial 40 (SJM40) and warned that we expected anti-OHV legislation that would come out of the SJM40-required report.

Yesterday, the SJM40 report was released by the New Mexico Energy, Minerals, and Natural Resources Department. It is exactly what we expected. It is an extremely biased and blatant attempt to paint OHV use in New Mexico in the worst possible light. It includes a long list of Recommendations for anti-OHV legislation in the upcoming session. Some of the worst items it proposes are:

1) A speed limit of 10 mph for all ATV and dirt bikes on all trails.

2) No one under age 16 allowed to operate any dirt bike or ATV.

3) Requiring a special Driver's License for operating dirt bikes and ATVs. Like a regular driver's license, this would require a written test and driving test.

There are dozens of others. It should be clear to everyone that we need to work hard to keep these from becoming law in New Mexico.

State Senator Phil Griego made it very clear in the meeting in Santa Fe on Wednesday that THERE WILL BE OHV LEGISLATION introduced in the session that starts January 20th. There is no specific legislation proposed yet. Senator Greigo is not yet sure what will be included but promised it is coming.

NMOHVA is working hard to influence the proposed legislation and will keep everyone informed of what is happening.

In the meantime, here is what YOU CAN DO to protect riding in New Mexico:

1) Tell to all of your riding buddies to go to http://www.nmohva.org/main/index.php

10mph on trails...does that mean Mountain bikers or horseback riders will be passing motorbikes on the trails???
I guess it could be a good way to produce revenue for the state to have speed traps in the backcountry??? Good use of police manpower to ticket ATV ers on ohv trails instead of keeping illegals out of the country...

warrior91
01-23-2009, 02:55 PM
California 09
The latest version of the Governor's proposed budget includes a $90M "loan" from the OHV Trust Fund to help balance the states budget. The "loan" would be taken out of the acquisitions fund account, and would not affect the ongoing grants program or the State SVRA system. However these funds, which are collected specifically to enhance and expand the state OHV system, are wholly funded through user collected fees, not general state tax dollars. While we understand that the state is in the grip of the worst budget crisis in history, this proposal is simply not acceptable.

Seems funny to borrow from a public group that the Gov't has been trying to crush for years. :roll:

warrior91
01-23-2009, 03:00 PM
South Carolina 09
Any one who is “ineligible” to obtain a driver’s license or driver’s permit would not be allowed to operate an ATV if legislation authored by Rep. Kris Crawford (R-Florence) is enacted. House bill 4342 includes provisions for confiscation and forfeiture of ATVs used in violation of the proposed law. The text of the bill is available under "current legislation".

People that are 14years old, health restricted, or mental deficiency is no reason to take ATV use away.

frostbite
01-23-2009, 03:10 PM
They did most of that here already. Kids under 14 not allowed to ride unless it is a 'closed course' (which they haven't defined yet...). Kids 14-16 require special training and licensing. Fortunately no speed limits except in specific sections of trail.

Fight it man, fight it!!

Anti OHV legislation runs rampant in the States....

1) A speed limit of 10 mph for all ATV and dirt bikes on all trails.

2) No one under age 16 allowed to operate any dirt bike or ATV.

3) Requiring a special Driver's License for operating dirt bikes and ATVs. Like a regular driver's license, this would require a written test and driving test.

warrior91
01-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Here in Sask , the powers that be have restricted riding under license age unless on private land.... or at least till you get out of town :)

Yes I am an irresponsible parent that lets his children have fun, mind you while wearing boots, long pants, gloves, and helmet.
No running shoes ,shorts, or unprotected head or hands.
I learned for myself in the younger days (pre 4 wheelers) that engines get hot and gravel is hard to pick out of your skin...

Thank God that I live out in the boonies and the "Greenies" get shown the proverbial door pretty damn quick. I know many northern communities that allow snowmobiles and ATV on their street...rightly or wrongly without propper saftey gear...As gas is really expensive and vehicles have only a few Km of roads they can drive on (if you can afford one to be shipped in the 3 month window on the Ice roads...
OHV are more usefull, handier, efficient than vehicles or Dogsleds :lol:

In my town I would suspect that 75% of residents own AT LEAST 1 ATV and 1 Snowmobile...
15 % own 1 snowmobile or 1 ATV
10% are too old to ride anything more than an Ambulance.

Myself- 3 ATV, 1 dirtbike, 1 sled
Looking out my window ... neighbor 1 has 4 Snowmobiles and 2 ATV
neighbor 2 has 2 sleds and 2 ATV, and 1 dirtbike
neighbor three - Has A Gov't issue Honda ATV in the back of his Gov't truck...and a broken down 200 honda 3 wheeler at his ex wives
neighbor 4 across the alley has 1 ATV
My buddy across the alley (single,unmarried man) 2 sleds, 2 atv,1 dirtbike
.........I could go on...In a town of +/- 1500 people....I'd be willing to bet there is at least 1000 OHV (sleds/atv/utv/dirtbikes) owned and I Hypothosize that these numbers are average for every town in Saskatchewan!

IronFist
01-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Very few off road spots around Toronto, most are pay to play. With crippling laws and very few riding areas, most people leave the ATV at the cottage 80 to 300 miles north. I will be taking my 3rd motorcycle test this summer for my final licence. :x

warrior91
01-23-2009, 03:58 PM
I am fortunate...It only costs 1 tank of gas to drive anywhere I desire in the crown land...or my buddys land...or my own land.
Thousands of square miles for the cost of $.89/L
Edit: God bless Backward hillbilly provinces...Seems the more prosperous of province you are...the more hoops you must jump through, thanks to City people that think Nature must have a wall around it...
Or laws passed by those who wouldn't last 1 day in the bush...without a starbucks, cell service, and $60,000 BMW penis extension to drive in it...If you can't pave it ,build a wall around it so those who do understand wilderness can't enjoy her.

TeamCheap
01-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Relax they are just looking out for your best interest and to keep people safe and protect the Environment. :roll:

Here in michigan it is still a friendly ORV state for the most part I just wish they had more trails farther south.Luckily the ORVers here help support the poor northern people/business's or else we wouldnt have a trail to ride on I'm afraid.

Actually I have to say that the trail sytem availible here is really good or atleast it has gotten much better than I remember it 10-15 years ago.They do close trails here and there for various reasons but they have also been grooming and opening up other area's and building decent parking area's.

warrior91
01-23-2009, 04:31 PM
1 All Terrain Vehicle can include snowmobiles, dirt bikes, motocross bikes, amphibious vehicles, quad bikes and other similar vehicles. Please refer to each provincial Act for scope of vehicle coverage.
2 Municipal Authorities may enact by-laws regulating the use of ATVs within their jurisdictions. Please consult to your local municipality for any related ATV by-laws.
3 For information purposes only. Please consult local authorities for further interpretation and current status.

Updated May 2008
All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV)
1 Legislation Chart
CANADA Provincial and Territorial ATV Legislation
Province/Territory Minimum Operating Age, Location for Use, Supervision
Driver SafetyTraining
Mandatory Helmet Use

British Columbia
Motor Vehicle (All Terrain) Act,
Chapter 319 (MVAT)
No provincial legislation for recreational use of an All-Terrain Vehicle.
(MVAT): ATVs for farming or industrial use must be registered. Children under 16 cannot
register an ATV.

Alberta
Traffic Safety Act – Off-Highway
Vehicle Regulation (TSA-OHVR)
Traffic Safety Act – Part 6 (TSA)
(TSA-OHVR) & (TSA): Children under 14 years cannot operate an ATV on a highway.
Children under 14 years cannot operate an ATV on public property unless they are
supervised by an adult who is 18 years of age or older and who occupies the passenger
seat of the ATV or is following in close proximity to the ATV.

Saskatchewan
All Terrain Vehicles Act (ATVA)
Traffic Safety Act (TSA)
(ATVA) & (TSA): Children under 16 years can operate an ATV on land owned by an
immediate family member.
Children ages 12-15 years can operate an ATV on public or private property provided they
have passed and approved ATV training course, are accompanied on the ATV or are
supervised by an adult who has held continuously for the immediately preceding 365 days
a permit to operate an ATV or have passed an approved safety training course.
Children ages 12-15 years can operate an ATV on an untravelled portion of the highway or
for the purposes of crossing a highway at the shortest route available.
Must have permission to operate an ATV on private land.

(Does not apply
when operating on
land owned by an
immediate family
member)
1 All Terrain Vehicle can include snowmobiles, dirt bikes, motocross bikes, amphibious vehicles, quad bikes and other similar vehicles. Please refer to each provincial Act for scope of vehicle coverage.
2 Municipal Authorities may enact by-laws regulating the use of ATVs within their jurisdictions. Please consult to your local municipality for any related ATV by-laws.
3 For information purposes only. Please consult local authorities for further interpretation and current status.
Updated May 2008

Manitoba
Off-Road Vehicles Act (ORVA)
(ORVA): Children under 14 years can operate an ATV provided they are supervised by a
parent or an adult who is at least the age of 18 years (and authorized by the parent) and is
in clear view of the ATV during operation.

(Does not apply
when operating an
ATV for the purpose
of farming,
commercial fishing,
hunting or trapping)

Ontario
Off-Road Vehicle Act (ORV)
Highway Traffic Act (HTA)
(ORV): Children under 12 years cannot operate an ATV unless they are operating the ATV
on land owned by the vehicle’s owner or are closely supervised by an adult.
(HTA): Minimum operating age of 16 years for ATV use on roads or crossing roads.

(Does not apply
when operating an
ATV on land
occupied by the
ATV owner)

Quebec
An Act respecting Off-Highway
Vehicles (OHVA)
(OHVA): Minimum driver age of 16 years for adult sized ATVs.
Children under 16 years can operate youth sized ATVs as approved by regulation.
Children under the 16 years may operate an ATV on competition circuits as approved by
regulation under the Minister of Education, Recreation and Sport.

(ages 16-17 only –
must have
certificate of
competency)

New Brunswick
Off-Road Vehicle Act (ORVA)
(ORVA): Children under 14 years can operate an ATV provided they are supervised by an
adult who is 19 years of age or older.
Children under 16 must complete an approved safety training course to operate an ATV.

(< 16 years old)

Nova Scotia
Off-Highway Vehicles Act, Chapter
323 (OHVA)
(OHVA): Minimum driver age of 14 years.
Children 14-15 require direct parental/guardian supervision to operate ATVs and both child
and parent/guardian need to complete an approved safety training course.
Children under 14 can operate an ATV in a closed course provided they are supervised by
an adult, have completed an approved safety training course, are wearing protective
equipment, are operating an ATV that is fit for their age, size and capability and a trained
official and trained first respondent are present.
Updated May 2008
Provincial Links:

Prince Edward Island
Off-Highway Vehicles Act – General
Regulations (OHVA)
(OHVA): Minimum driver age of 14 years.
To operate an ATV, children ages 14-15 years must have completed an approved safety
training course and be directly supervised by an adult who either holds a valid driver’s
license for at least 24 months prior to supervising or has completed an approved safety
training course.
Persons over the age of 16 years must have a valid driver’s license for at least 2 years or
have completed an approved safety training course to operate an ATV.

(ages 14 + or have
valid driver’s license
for 2 years)

Newfoundland and Labrador
Motorized Snow Vehicles and All-
Terrain Vehicles Act – Regulation
(MSVATVA)
(MSVATVA): Minimum driver age of 14 years.
Children under 16 years cannot operate a full-size ATV.
Children 14-15 years can operate a 90 cc or less (youth sized) ATV provided they are
supervised* by an adult who is 19 years of age or older.
*Supervision must consist of visual and voice communication with the operator.

Yukon No provincial legislation regarding the operation of All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs)

Northwest Territories
All-Terrain Vehicles Act (ATVA) (ATVA): Minimum driver age of 14 years to drive on highway.

Nunavut
All-Terrain Vehicles Act (ATVA) (ATVA): Minimum driver age of 14 years to drive on highway.

British Columbia http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/default.htm
Alberta http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/index.cfm
Saskatchewan http://www.publications.gov.sk.ca/legislation.cfm
Manitoba http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/index_ccsm.php
Ontario http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/index.html
Quebec http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/page/portal/grand_public_en/vehicules_hors_route/securite/quad

warrior91
01-23-2009, 04:34 PM
As for Sask...We CANNOT license an ATV at all
ATV operator permits...News to me and every one I know....I don't know where these courses are held, but I guess ignorance is no excuse..

lego1970
01-24-2009, 04:23 AM
New Mexico has put out advertisement about the new laws over the radio. Personally I find it to be just another intrusion from government. I used to keep a little dirtbike on the catwalk of my semi, and Utah, Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico were about the only states where you could ride thru small towns without harrassment from law enforcement as long as you kept it cool and used hand signals. According to the radio advertisements in New Mexico, you will now get fines and possible vehicle impoundment for driving a dirtbike on dirt roads. I used to and still do go backpacking, but anymore I try to stay away from the big National parks because you always bump into National Park Service personal, both volunteers and actual Rangers, and they drill you with permit questions. You just can't go anywhere without being left alone. It's kinda like this cave close to where I grew up called Devils Ice Box. When we were kids we would go there all the time, but now they closed it to public because of a rare bat that lives in the cave, ironically you can still go in the cave but must pay and sign up for a group tour, I guess the bats don't care as long as you pay first. Those bats have been there for years with indians smoking pot a thousand years ago , to college kids drinking beer in the 80's and the bats never seemed to care before. Heck, if anything the cave is visited less every year way before they started charging to enter it so I don't see the need to start banning it now. Sorry for the negative post, but the subject bothers me.

winwun
01-24-2009, 07:49 AM
A favorite trick of Politicians is to sponsor a bill that hits hard at a particular industry, and then to take a "donation" from the industry to kill the bill.

It is also known as "ransom" or 'bribery" or "thievery", but the most common term is, "business as usual".

Back a few years ago there was a fire in a movie house, and a local pol jumped all over it, and introduced a bill that would require all theaters to have 18" from the back of a seat to the front of the seat behind it, rather than the present 16".

Naturally, theater owners could not handle the cost of renovation, not to mention the loss of a few rows of seats, so they found out that a nice "contribution" did wonders to kill the bill.

Stuff like this goes on, and then people act surprised when a person gets fed up with it and does something "rash".

frostbite
01-24-2009, 10:03 AM
Your New Brunswick data is out of date, unfortunately. The current state of affairs.....

http://www.gnb.ca/0062/acts/BBA-2007/Chap-42.pdf

AZ200cc
01-24-2009, 11:12 AM
We've had an influx of Kaleevornians and with them came complaints about everything we do in Arizona. Now they have managed to get pretty much all off road activities wittled down to nothing in my area. Now we can only ride a tagged vehicle on trails and the non tagged vehicles have a tiny little area where You can ride them......It's startnig to suck here :cry:

TeamCheap
01-24-2009, 03:46 PM
All michigan really cars about is the money to support the northern people but they are allowing the use of the extreme right side of roads for atv use to get from point A to B it is just starting to happen here and hopefully will become the norm, as long as it doesnt get abussed.

People moving from CALI and ruining others state sounds like the A-holes that move out into rural area's then complain about the smells, dust, and farmer brown on his tractor early in the morning, they just dont get it.

The laws for younger riders here is a bit extreme still but thats because too many parents just let their kids run wild on the toys and get hurt.