PDA

View Full Version : SPAMMERS

DDG1976
02-03-2009, 04:44 AM
That's all I have to say about that.

TeamCheap
02-03-2009, 05:47 AM
They will get bored of getting banned and move on soon enough but I know how you feel about them.

I just can not understand why some people have to be so stupid and spam like that and the ones who actually think someone would buy a product they are selling like that are the dumbest.

Thankfully the mods will swoop in soon and erase and ban them. :lol:

Jim
02-03-2009, 06:18 AM
Sorry about that. As far as I know, it is all automated scripts doing it... And Frostbite is the only one with access to ban them, we can only clean up the posts... Banning them can't be done before their identified as spammers either, and they usually do their round of spamming and don't come back anyways I think.

katoranger
02-03-2009, 07:54 AM
We have been trying to remove them as fast as they appear. Just ignore the posts and we will get them.

I know nothing about how the forum works behind the scenes, but I have the power to delete posts. :lol:

IronFist
02-03-2009, 08:36 AM
I have power of delete, but don't :lol:

ejcycles
02-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Oh no, they'll keep coming back, even if you ban them the idiots will have a different domain e~mail addresses to use. I see it every day, different Domain e~mail address and a different IP address. Computers are set today to register different IP addresses when they are on line.

katoranger
02-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Frostbite is working on it. Trying to make it more difficult to register.

Allen

culcune
02-03-2009, 10:12 AM
What I miss? Were there good pictures :lol:

katoranger
02-03-2009, 10:22 AM
No, you didn't miss anything.

ejcycles
02-03-2009, 10:58 AM
culcune

It wasn't pictures, the Spammer was gonna give you a huge house loan so you could buy all the bikes you want! 8O :lol:

Jim
02-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Yeah for some reason we're not getting the pictures like Bruce gets over at American Lifan... That's a good thing, you have to be really on top of it to get rid of that before the kids stumble on it...

ejcycles
02-03-2009, 11:00 AM
AAfurtumsquorgo

Here's another one!

katoranger
We are already on to that one too.

Have a list of about 20 so far.

Allen

Jim
He's on the list ;)

Alaskan-Dad
02-03-2009, 11:22 AM
thanks to the mods and admin for cleaning out the spam!
dang spambots Grrrr.......

Thanks again!

ejcycles
02-03-2009, 11:39 AM
There are more, my gosh is CR getting slammed! Glad I'm home sick with the flu. I get to see all the commenter's eat their words today about spammers~! :lol:

See what happens when ya had a good Moderator and ya p!$$ him off, he isn't here to get rid if the Spammers.

IronFist
02-03-2009, 11:45 AM
:D

Jim and Kato have been amazing, like chuck norris's feet! :lol:

ejcycles
02-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Hey your back! Cool, I knew ya couldn't stay gone long!

DDG1976
02-04-2009, 04:47 AM
Crap!!! We're going to end up having to log in every time we want to look a Chinariders. Stupid SOB spammers, is there any way to trace thier IP address, or is that just for cops and the movies? If we could just get thier email address I'll forward all of my junk inbox to them. I do this with credit card offers, when they come in the mail I take out the return envelope and cram all the forms into it and mail it back blank, this way they have to pay the postage for the return.

ejcycles
02-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Sure you can track their IP address, it won't do You any good because they don't Care!

They will just buy more cheap web domains that have e~mail capability and go on to the next one, just as they do when they get caught by the few large domains that trap and list there IP's and e~mail addresses that they use per IP address.

It's not as easy as you think, as I have said before...........
"Until One Does The Job, Don't Judge Anyone Else"

Tell ya what, here is a Forum that a guy listed Thousands of Banned e~mail addresses. New ones pop up every day!

http://jeremysarber.com/2007/10/15/email-address-banlist/

The IP list on The AL Forum is a lot longer, I have Banned their IP Addresses, User Names and E~mail addresses. The biggest problem is not all IP addresses that I put on the ban list stay there because there is some kind of "Block" that they use so they can't be added to a forum Block list.

ejcycles
02-04-2009, 09:21 AM
DDG1976

Just an update since my last post @ 8:04am.

On the AL forum had two spammers try to register, I banned them, along with about 300 other IP addresses and about 500 e~mail addresses that these other idiots use. These aren't even on that guys list.

Lets see you take the time out of your day, To do this for FREE to keep the forums clean. I on the AL forum, and the Administrators &
Moderators here all do this for FREE.

It's now 10:21 am.

SpeedSouth
02-04-2009, 09:21 AM
A couple of ideas...not sure how easily they are incorporated into the forum script, but it may worth a look-see...

Validation codes (those boxes with random letters) required to start a new thread...

Prevent multiple threads with the same titles...

Or maybe limit the number of threads a user may start within a given time...

Or, maybe even prevent new users from starting threads until they have X number of posts...but something fairly low to keep it easy for new members to find help

Just a few ideas...I know a lot of forums have to deal with this crap, and it's always a struggle to balance the ease of use and needs of the members with preventing the spam abuse.

Keep up the good work guys. I will continue to ignore the spam. :)

DDG1976
02-04-2009, 01:53 PM
DDG1976

Just an update since my last post @ 8:04am.

On the AL forum had two spammers try to register, I banned them, along with about 300 other IP addresses and about 500 e~mail addresses that these other idiots use. These aren't even on that guys list.

Lets see you take the time out of your day, To do this for FREE to keep the forums clean. I on the AL forum, and the Administrators &
Moderators here all do this for FREE.

It's now 10:21 am.

I understand your pain, I get woke up and run into burning buildings and drag people out for free. I also train for 8-16 hours a week which includes brutal physical training with 40lbs. of gear on. All on top of my 40 hour a week regular job.

panamarandy
02-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Yea, I know how it goes. I moderate a chat board for one of the cable networks and I suspend 10-12 every day for spamming.... Matter of fact one that I see just joined here today and is online right now I suspended today for posting a bunch of Pharmacy crap.... you cant win...

culcune
02-04-2009, 08:40 PM
This spam stuff is funny. Years ago, I bought www.yumaredcat.com in the hope of having a Redcat dealership in Yuma. I guess every two years, they pull the $ out of my account, so I still own it. I set up an email account through it, simon@yumaredcat.com. Someone must have hijacked it, because I get spam from myself offering to get my manhood larger 8O 8O ! What's the world coming to?! :lol: LOL

frostbite
02-05-2009, 06:02 AM
Unless it calms down I'm going to have to institute some captcha's. As each one creates an account I delete the account and the IP address. Hopefully this wave of spam will subside.

AZ200cc
02-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Can You make it to where You have to enter those squiggly letters before You can register?

Alaskan-Dad
02-05-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm just guessing but I would say that our spammers are using a proxy to randomize their IP address's, what a PITA they are becoming.
Thank to mods and Admin's for all your work dealing with spamming idiots!

frostbite
02-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Best definition of a captcha's if seen yet! I'm looking into it but a site upgrade may be in order.
Can You make it to where You have to enter those squiggly letters before You can register?

frostbite
02-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Most of it seems to be coming from Russia and Germany. I'm starting to ban by netblock.

I'm just guessing but I would say that our spammers are using a proxy to randomize their IP address's, what a PITA they are becoming.
Thank to mods and Admin's for all your work dealing with spamming idiots!

AZ200cc
02-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Best definition of a captcha's if seen yet! I'm looking into it but a site upgrade may be in order.

Cool now I know what they're called :wink:

SpudRider
02-07-2009, 02:09 PM
I would like to extend a special, heartfelt thank you to all of the administrators and moderators on this forum. Without your diligence this forum would quickly become an unpleasant place to visit. In many ways I consider this forum a peaceful oasis in a frequently uncivil world. I know that that your efforts are essential in keeping this forum operating as a helpful, international resource of information.

In a former life I spent ten years as a computer network administrator in the Oregon public school system. Therefore, I know from personal experience that computer networks and web sites do not maintain themselves. Also, having spent a decade working with school children, I am very familiar with malicious mischief. :x

Once again, thank you for all your hard work, and thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Spud :)

warrior91
02-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Non meat spam sucks. :cry: