PDA

View Full Version : 354 miles last Sunday.

liverchip
02-04-2009, 09:24 PM
This Sunday, Chris142, his buddy,and myself (riding the Jetmoto )departed for a long loop which began in Apple Valley to Baker with a jog south through Amboy with a return along Route 66. I Google Earthed a route which included lots of dirt including a run through Afton Canyon. The theoretical distance for this "march" was about 250 miles. Well, we headed out bright and early at 7am for a quick run along the power line road to highway 18 for a quick stop in Lucern for gas and the hairy eyeball from the local CHP and headed north around the dry lake. We hit the Lucern Valley cutoff and headed north to Stoddard, on a track for the Slash X. We stopped for a quick break at the 247 and headed for Dagget/Yermo via dirt. After a brief and fruitless gas search in Yermo proper, we gave up and headed for Ghost Town Rd for fuel and a rest stop. After a bit of Coke and Joke, we booked along the railroad access, stopping to reattach my license plate after my previous hi-tech, year-old, temporary repair failed, and hit Afton and our first real issue. Well, we stopped at the water crossing and debated for a while. Should we, shouldn't we, how deep? We waited for a bit to see if a 4X4 should happen to want to cross so we could see just how deep it was. We flipped a coin, BS'ed a bit more then I volunteered. Well....it is deep.....halfway up the tank deep. Sucking water in the airbox deep(if I had one-damn Uni Pod). Well,needless to say, I didn't quite make it. Wouldn't you know it, as soon as I was stuck, waist-deep, here comes a Jeep.....Dammit. Ah well, I pull out my 15HP monster of metal and watch the Jeep take the shallow track across the small ocean. At this point no one else wants wet feet, we figure we'll turn around and find an alternate route. Well, time to see if it'll start after swimming. Looked at the oil sight glass and a bit of fog is present. Well, she starts right up and we head out across the freeway to grab a quart of oil (we figure a quick change is in order as we have a lot of miles to cover.) The local behind the counter decides to try and kill us by directing us to a short cut that'll take us right to Baker----right----right to Vegas is more like it. Ahh well, we change the oil head out to Baker via freeway. Not a comfy ride, but we were hungry and the day was wearing on. Eventless arrival, gas, and some grub and we head south via Kelbaker Road. That's one long stretch of nothing there with a couple of hills thrown in to challenge my mighty 15HP demon-bike. Well,the sun was settling lower on the horizon and following a quick fuel stop in Amboy, we head out just as fast as my mighty speedster will go. With the sun setting, Chris's buddy, Kenny informs me that my taillight is out. Seems that the plate reattachment has broken my ground wire from inside the lamp assembly. Ahh well, Kenny drops in behind me to give me a bit of visibility and we're off. Route 66 WOT and it's dark now and Kenny pulls alongside holding----my plate-----again. Guess I need a new light/plate holder. Another quick stop and 6 more zip-ties later and we're off. WOT of the freeway headed for the 247 and south to Lucern with a couple stops to warm up, more gas and quick run along the power lines to my place. Sure is different at night, hard to spot the right dirt road threading the meth labs. Well, we arrived safely at my place with 354 miles on the GPS. Well, other than a couple of minor issues, all caused by me, the bike ran flawlessly, even after a good bath in the river. Chris has the photos. Post them bud! Least with someone riding behind you they can point out that I need to align my rear tire, Ahh well. Overall, great ride! Thanks for the company guys!

culcune
02-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Wow, all the old haunts found on the way to.....Vegas! Never did the area by bike, except for hauling my DR250s to El Mirage in the back of a pickup and a blast on my friend's CR500, drunk, wearing only my boxer shorts and shoes, but that is a different subject!

liverchip
02-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Yeah, it was a long one.......damn long.