PDA

View Full Version : Resale value

olddude
02-07-2009, 11:12 AM
I am almost happy with 200cc gy 5 Lifan after over 10000 kph trouble free you would think that I would happy (WRONG).
There is no reseal value be cause of your parts policy it scares of any
potential buyers so if I have problem it`s A through away.
Im in the market for a 250 scooter it will be chinese, but you can bet
your poop shot it won`t be A l Lifan. I see no reason to be a victim of your policies a second time :x

AZ200cc
02-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Did You expect to make a profit :?
Cheap bike cheap resale...

dsrt4
02-07-2009, 11:48 AM
I am almost happy with 200cc gy 5 Lifan after over 10000 kph trouble free you would think that I would happy (WRONG).
Im in the market for a 250 scooter it will be chinese, but you can bet
your poop shot it won`t be A l Lifan. I see no reason to be a victim of your policies a second time :x

Wait, What?

Jim
02-07-2009, 12:01 PM
You do realize this website is not affiliated with any dealer or distributor correct? We don't have a parts policy... I also believe you are talking about the reSALE value... In all seriousness though, what were you looking for in resale value on a cheap motorcycle what has 10,000 KM's (not km/h) on it? If you had a japanese bike it would have probably depreciated the entire value of your chinese bike.... That's just my opinion though.

liverchip
02-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Dammit, That was my retirement investment plan. Buy chinabikes for 1000 and resell them once they've become 'classics' Almost there mileage-wise. 4700+ in one year. Imagine 4 more.

IronFist
02-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Old dude, none of us work for a chinese bike company, lifan or other. I have donated my time to keeping your bike on the road for 10,000 KM free of charge, to you or any member here.

"I see no reason to be a victim of your policies a second time"Old dude

I think you should at least say sorry to the people who have helped you thus far. If you're angry that your $2000 bike isn't worth $20,000 now that it's been in your care, that I can't help. I owned a Xingyue, not a lifan. I sold it for 1/3 of what I payed, after 7 months of riding. I was happy. Renting a bike for a summer would have cost much more.

Did you make a mistake and post your rant to ChinaRiders, and not the American Lifan Site? I can't see how ChinaRiders polices did anything but help you keep riding?

Should you have posted in dealer discussions, street, D/S? I'll move the thread when you tell me where you meant to put it in the first place.

Jim
02-07-2009, 12:21 PM
He posted it here, and there actually...

I bought my Lifan in Canada for $2500 (cdn) and sold it for $1500... It's not that bad of a loss really, I would lose as much on a Japanese bike too, it just wouldn't look as bad because the price would have been higher to start with...

How much are you looking to sell your 10,000KM Lifan for?

Is your 10,000 Km Lifan an American Lifan, or was it bought through Hooper / Rabbit / ATVd /Other? I don't know how their parts policy could be something you would be a victim of the second time... If your bike is an American Lifan, then there should be no problem with parts, if your bike is a "grey" market bike, then you didn't fall for anything from American Lifan since you didn't deal with American Lifan? As far as parts, they should be available from a number of sources including Hooper Imports.

culcune
02-07-2009, 01:58 PM
I am going to try to decipher this--the old dude bought a "grey" bike and, although he doesn't need parts, feels that when a buyer inquires about how easy it will be to get parts, the old dude has to disclose that they are out of luck with American Lifan as they refuse to sell parts to non-AL owners.

Old dude, there is a good parts source for you and any subsequent buyer for your bike--try www.hooperimports.com American Lifan's dirty secret that they don't want you to know about!

olddude
02-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Iron fist I posted that thread as A after thought. I posted it on
america lafin first but they would not let on there site.I thought people
should at least no how american lafin does business. I bought my bike
from ATVdiscounters.com for $1200 hundred bucks. I have no
completes with them.Ill buy my next one from them.I have no intenion
of selling it im happier with it then I fly on a fresh turd.
Im looking to buy a new Im looking to buy a 250cc motor scooter but i won`t consider AL untill they change there ways :roll:

Jim
02-07-2009, 02:36 PM
They would not let what on their site? Your post is there...

People here are well aware that American Lifan Currently does not sell parts for grey market bikes.

If you have no plans to sell your bike then why are you angry about the resale value?

Can I please ask a question and have someone actually answer it for once? Why is it, if you can't get parts for your bike, that you are mad at American Lifan, and not ATV Discounters who is distributing your bike? Should they not support their own product? I don't see the justification for this.

VinceDrake
02-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Greetings and Joy all!

Without getting into Parts policies, etc, which I figure are pretty well documented by this point, No vehicle after 2 years has decent resale value.

Usually, even in automotive, you lose a good 40% to 50% of resale value as soon as you drive it off the lot. (Or around the block, if you prefer.) and at least 10 to 20 percent, per year thereafter, until they reach the point of maximum depreciation.

Therefore: It's a 2 year old Lifan, $1200 paid, minus 50%, minus 10% Equals $500. If you get more than that, you're kicking arsenal.

I can already hear the next post coming after this "But the MSRP on my bike was $3495.00, I just got a smokin' Deal on mine, so it should be worth $1550, right?"

Nope. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price means exactly poop. Especially in the world of Chinese imports, it's just some magic number someone made up to make you think you are getting a super-duper freind and family plan deal. IF you got it for $1200, rest assured I can get it for $1200 too. Probably, Jim and IronFist, and FrostMaster, and Dsrt4 and Knothead and everyone else in the world can get it for $1200 as well. Everything in the world is Priced to what the market will bear. and MSRP really, means nothing, except to people who don't do their research and pay full list for everything. God help them.

Despite what other manufacturer's will tell you (**Cough Harley-Davidson, Cough, cough**) depreciation starts from the point of Fair Retail Value Which is the average price paid by most consumers, in the selling area. Freight, PDI, dealer setup and license Do not Count! If you were to import the bike to Panama, where they sell for $3000.00 *then* you might get $1500 for a used machine.

So yeah, now that we've destroyed the myth of MSRP, Let's move on to market factors.

Currently with the credit crunch, and the US economy sucking wind, it's a buyer's market. You can price it wherever you like, but if no one's got any money or credit to buy it, You're stuck with it. If Mr. Obama were to ban imports of motorcycles under 400cc, from foreign nations, thus creating a shortage, then there'd be huge market for Used 200cc bikes.

Last week, I was looking at a 1983 Honda CB1000C in detroit. I've known the bike and the owner for years. Being as he's lost his job, and has to pay the mortgage I could have bought it for $750, but I thought driving through detroit in my VW van might get me killed. 2 years ago I couldn;t have looked at the bike for less than $2500, even on eBay, the home of the Bottom-feeder motorcycle market!

To Sum up, Low resale value really, has very little to with American Lifan's parts policies. Aprilia is a real rectum-pleaser to get parts for in North America, but they still sell high. As long as there are dealers willing to give it away for $1200, that is going to be Fair Retail Value, and a used unit is going to worth less than poop. Frankly, looking around at what other members are getting for their used bikes I think the chinese bikes are beating the resale value chart, big-time!

--Vince

culcune
02-07-2009, 05:11 PM
MSRP really, means nothing, except to people who don't do their research and pay full list for everything. God help them.

I think you need to post this in the Yuma area. Everyone here does not understand the concept of dealing apparently. I moved here via L.A. where there was always a bargain to be found. When I needed a car, and wanted something simple, say, a Dodge Neon, one could always find them somewhere in the metropolitan L.A. area for $9999, with a list price of $14999.

A few years back, a dealer here started carrying UM. He would never budge from the $2799 MSRP even though the bike had been sitting in his showroom for 8 months! and it had already surpassed the '07 model year and was into '08. Duh! The dealership had closed several months ago (it was a custom chopper manufacturer and they were dabbling in the Chinese/Korean bike market, but were tied into the old-time mentality here--everything is MSRP) and maybe could have stayed open had they accepted my under MSRP offer (I am stretching the point here :lol: ).

I am interested in adding a Pitster Pro enduro or motard (heck, in a perfect world, one of each!!) and the MSRP is $3400. They sell their bikes through brick and mortar dealers, but if one is not available (such as here in Arizona, let alone Yuma) the guy offered to sell one direct. I think that there is a magical price somewhere between dealer price and MSRP, and with some give and take, the guy will probably agree that a price closer to dealer cost will be worth it to him since I will be able to give the bike and Pitster some free PR via the various forums I belong to and the one I own (wish me luck :wink: ).

And, no, I will not expect the bike to have a high resale value, or equal what I paid for it even if I get it for dealer cost.

olddude
02-07-2009, 08:19 PM
I think you folks are mistaking my statement for anger, NOT SO maybe I did not do a good job at using the right words i have a moto guzzi lario
over the years i had a lot of different bikes Japanese,British,Italian.
you could mail order parts from alot of different sources. the distributor
was happy just to see his product on the road.I can get parts from
ATVdiscounter i just cant understand way AL would not want there
product on the road it`a just good public relation.PLEASE don`t
think im mad in just trying to make a statment. :D

Jim
02-08-2009, 02:57 AM
What does it have to do with the resale value though? What would you be looking for if you were to sell it?

My Kawasaki has depreciated more then the entire cost of your Lifan (or Mine) :wink:

IronFist
02-08-2009, 10:08 AM
I think you folks are mistaking my statement for anger,

I still don't hear a question. I understand that you may be confused about a few things, but I have no idea what/who your statement is supposed to help.

PLEASE don`t
think im mad in just trying to make a statment.

Its not ChinaRiders policy, as I said that to you earlier. Frankly, you not knowing what you are talking about is getting annoying. Please be more careful, if you are angry about resale value, go buy a BMW.

Iron fist I posted that thread as A after thought.

Oh that's obvious, I really like being an afterthought, thanks

Im looking to buy a new Im looking to buy a 250cc motor

That motor will drop in price just as quick!

"I see no reason to be a victim of your policies a second time"Old dude

Instead of saying sorry for posting that on this site, you get defensive and try to explain your statement. Don't explain, apologise. You really know how to piss someone off Dude. Wadda burn a bridge! If you need help, figure out who you're talking to, get your facts straight, then ask a question with a CLEAR title, PRop#R SpElEllLing, Capitals to start lower case to write, READ THE RULES!

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2

This is intended as a family-friendly site so keep things pleasant.

Avoid vaque thread titles

When creating a new thread use an appropriately descriptive title. For example:

Good: How do you adjust the clutch cable on a 2005 LF200GY-2?
Good: Carburetor tuning instructions for LF200GY-5

Bad: clutch problems
Bad: bike won't start

Grammar and Spelling

All are not equipped with the same language skills, especially when conveyed via the written word. If possible please follow as many of the following guidelines as possible:

- Sentences start with a capital letter (e.g. 'C', not 'c').
- Sentences end with a punctuation mark (e.g. ?!.).
- When used wisely the comma (,) is your friend!
- Please refrain from posting in all upper case (e.g. THIS IS REALLY ANNOYING DON'T YOU THINK.) unless the intention of your post is to convey yelling.
- Check your spelling.

1) Read the FAQ's
2) Review the Tech Info section
3) Perform some simple text searches on the forum

A warning is generally issued before a ban is enforced. It typically depends on the severity of the offense. Repeat offenders will be permanently banned.

Now if we are clear, I'll hear that appology now.

Jim
02-08-2009, 01:02 PM
It did appear you are angry, the "you would think I'm happy" with the all upper case "WRONG".... And the "poop" comments.... Then it gets confusing though, because the topic is titled resale value, and then you commenting on how there is no resale value, then that this isn't about resale value at all, but about parts from a 3RD PARTY company.... If you can get parts from ATVd like you said, where is the problem? Sounds like your bike has treated you well! I would comment that "in my opinion", the resale value of these bikes should be expected to be low going into the purchase.... The bike cost $1200, so I don't think we can base our depreciation on percentages any more with the cost being so low to start with? Add to that, that 10,000KM is pretty high for a used motorcycle, not that the bike won't keep going, but people tend to put far fewer km's on any motorcycle then compared to a car...

SpeedSouth
02-08-2009, 03:00 PM
I half noting to ad, just a felling a bolt leafed out! 8O :lol:

Carrie Own... :wink:

TeamCheap
02-08-2009, 04:36 PM
If the general public really knew about china bikes they'd know that a high mileage running china bike is worth more than a brand new china bike.
(unless its an A.L. :wink: )

culcune
02-08-2009, 05:57 PM
[quote="TeamCheap"]If the general public really knew about china bikes they'd know that a high mileage running china bike is worth more than a brand new china bike.
[quote]

I had found some used, titled and licensed Jetmotos in San Diego after I bought my new one. They had under 1000 miles--I should have waited the month or two to buy one of the used ones :(

Oh, and nice try baiting me into discussing that brand :lol:

TeamCheap
02-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Here fishy fishy fishy........I'm waiting :lol:

I'd still like to sell ours but around here very few people are buying much of anything.

I dont care though we'll just run them again this year hopefully more than last year.

TheRealWorld
02-23-2009, 11:05 PM
I just wish I could get a good Lifan 200 for a reasonable price of $3000. I don't mind if it has ten or fifteen thousand miles on it, in fact I prefer it be well broken it. I will require it has a few generic replacement parts on it. Only other requirement will be the seller must have a good attitude and appreciation for a good bargain!

iMoose
03-30-2009, 07:02 PM
I always troll the local craigslist down here, and ya know.... when people list their 200cc Chinese enduros, they ask for almost NEW LIST price for a USED bike all the time.

Local dealers are selling NEW bikes for about $1,500.

So why in the lord's name would people expect to get the same after they've ridden the poop out of it for a year or two?

It makes me laugh. MAROONS!

TeamCheap
03-30-2009, 07:22 PM
I've had both of ours on Craig'slist on and off for about 2/3 of the price we paid for them new and they are actually better now than they were when we got them.

Oh well another season is here and we'll be out riding them again.

KentuckyDonkey
04-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Guess it depends on the brand and how you market it. I recently sold my Vbike V4SW quad(a month old) for $1400- which is $125 more than I paid for it. (I need a utility model).

I bought it with the idea that it would have virtually no resale value. I was wrong!

Dragon
05-11-2009, 08:53 PM
You said you bought your bike from ATVdiscounter. But, you seem to be mad at Am Lifan. If you have trouble getting parts/service, shouldn't you be mad at the dealer that you bought from, ATVdiscounter, instead?