PDA

View Full Version : Overland Stage Coach Route of 1849 intersection

culcune
02-07-2009, 04:25 PM
http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv238/culcune/P1040497.jpg

This is an area northwest of Ocotillo, Ca. that I rode to last weekend. Liverchip is familiar with Ocotillo, but this is about 25 miles out of the town on a road named S2. Being on a streetbike, I didn't want to try it, but it does state that vehicles have to be street-registered to be on it, and 4 x 4 recommended--probably a good ride for a Chinese enduro; Liverchip--your street-registered bike is a good guinea pig for this!

The significance of this area is that this the overland route for stagecoaches from the wild west going to and from San Diego, CA through the desert. Not sure if the coaches continued my way to Yuma, but I wouldn't be surprised (I live about 100 miles east of here, so could only imagine the horror of trying to get here in the middle of summer!!)

SpeedSouth
02-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Looks like it would be a great place to go ride.

How far do you figure the whole route is?
And is it all still open/ridable? Or just a portion?

I like stuff like that. :)

culcune
02-07-2009, 06:57 PM
I have no idea as I did not want to find out the hard way on the Honda Ascott! 8O I can't wait to ride it, and I will definitely let everyone know.

liverchip
02-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Let me know. I'm looking for excuses for an adventure ride!

liverchip
02-07-2009, 09:14 PM
You're talking about Ocotillo Wells right?

culcune
02-07-2009, 09:39 PM
I guess that is the complete name. This is the actual town on the north side of I 8--after exiting go to the opposite side of the freeway from the Texaco station, go through the town, and at the S 2 turn left (there was a sign that said "County park 1 mile") and pass the park. A few miles up the road is a temporary-but-permanent Border Patrol roll through, and you go several more miles past it. You keep going around some mountain-type sharp turns while losing elevation quickly (you are still on the S 2) and you end up at this "intersection." The S 2 (which seems to be called Sweeney Pass but that is never mentioned prior) has this dirt road coming at an angle from the right, which is the rough part of the Overland Stage Coach, while the paved road you have been on (the S 2)is essentially the stagecoach route. Not too far from the town of Ocotillo (you do ride somewhere around here, correct?--right near the base of those low mountains between San Diego and the Imperial Valley, on the Imperial Valley side?)if you wanted a historic road to explore. Don't know if you can read the sign, but it states that the vehicles have to be plated--perfect for your X-Jet-Moto 250!!

culcune
02-07-2009, 09:42 PM
After all that--different place--why the H%&@ :evil: do they name two places a similar name--it's false advertising!!!!! :x

culcune
02-07-2009, 09:45 PM
OK, look at this--kind of forgiven, but still miles apart...

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/routes/WestCoast/CA/CA_7.shtml

liverchip
02-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Ok, yep that's the town of Ocotillo. The off-road riding area is Ocotillo Wells, which is east of Borrego Springs. That's where I grew up. Ocotillo is southeast of that area.