PDA

View Full Version : How to adjust sprocket alignment?

parallax
02-07-2009, 05:06 PM
I have a new 250 ATV from powersportsmax:
http://www.powersportsmax.com/product_info.php/cPath/37/products_id/843

....love it....been perfect from day 1. But lately i noticed the chain coming off the rear sprocket more and more. Upon further inspection, i notice that the front and rear sprockets are out of alignment by about an inch or more...

How do i adjust the rear sprocket to line up with the front?

Hoping someone can help with perhaps pics??

Anyway...thanks in advance...

Alex

VinceDrake
02-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Hey guy! Phase 1, Check you swingarm bushings. I can't speak for that brand, but GIo's hand a heck of a time with them, if the bushings go loose, it *will* drop chains, handle like crap, etc...

Check them out, and we'll move onto phase 2... :D

--Vince

parallax
02-07-2009, 05:33 PM
well...ok...i'll take a look at them...but do i need to dissasemble anything to get a good look at them? Forgive my ignorance with quads...but i just don't want to mangle anything...better to get info first prior to wrenching...

Perhaps a pic of a bad bushing...or a good one?

Should i notice a lot of play in the swingarm? It doesn't move at all...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/parallax_m42/IMG_1679.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/parallax_m42/IMG_1680.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/parallax_m42/IMG_1681.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/parallax_m42/IMG_1682-1.jpg

These images show the setup...perhaps someone can inform me how to go about adjusting that rear sproacket a bit to the left?

Thanks...

VinceDrake
02-07-2009, 06:03 PM
While looking at the swing arm bushing area, just grab the chain, and pull it tight, by hand. If you see the swing arm moving around, there's a problem.

Next, Check the axle end nuts, make sure they're tight. (In the centre of the Hub) If I remember right, they're what hold the sprocket tight to the carrier, yours looks like it's running away from the carrier, jsut by the pics. So Yeah, Make sure they are tight, and cotter pinned.

Hopefully this is more helpful...
--Vince

warrior91
02-07-2009, 11:50 PM
looking at the rusty chain, bearing carrier, and quite possibly the bearing seal poking out...I am guessing lack of lube, water riding causing a bearing failure ......
If not, is the axle bent?

TeamCheap
02-08-2009, 04:53 AM
YIKES man get some chain lube for the new chain you'll be needing.

Ohh I'd like to see a picture of the sprockets from the rear with the chain OFF.(nice pics by-the-way)

Looking at the second picture and the left chain slack adjuster it looks bent to me.Actually the piece of metal between the slack adjusters looks cracked to me but it might just be the lighting on it.

That chain has to come off to check it all out properly.

The chain is so rusty it looks like its binding up and will snap at some point.

Really that chain might be salvagable but it is very rusty and it may need replacing.
First thing to do is pop the master link on it and give it a good scrub down then clean it up and soak it in an oil bath for a few days.
After the oil bath pull it out of the tub of oil and wipe it down or you can just hang it over the tub to drip most of it off and then wipe it down a bit and see if the links are all freed up this is important for good long service from a chain.

To really check it right pop the chain off.I always run a chains master link to the rear sprocket making sure I have the master link in about the middle of the sprocket then just use a regular pair of pliers or flat screwdriver (watch the clip it will shoot off) and carefully force the master link clip off and then work the master link out.The sprocket helps keep it all together and helps relieve the chain tension a bit making it easier to remove the master link.
You might have to loosen the chains slack adjusters if the chain is tight to get the master link out.

While the chain is off grab ahold of the axle watch very closely as you try man handling it around to see if there is any movement in the swing axle bearings or rear axle bearings also check to make sure the rear axle is aligned properly(chain adjusters).
I'd have the rear axle off the ground and nothing touching the swingarm.

If you have a lazer level you could sight it across the rear sprocket and see if it runs true and straight with the front sprocket or just use a long straight egde if you can find one long enough.(as straight and true as you can get)
You want to make sure the spockets are flat-inline-parallel with each other and that neither are twisted in relation to the other.
Check to see if the engine is still bolted in the frame tightly.

If you have an aluminum yard stick and with the chain off you can rest the yard stick right against the rear sprocket and see exactly how well the front and rear sprockets are lined up.
With the chain off this would take about 10 seconds to check.

TeamCheap
02-11-2009, 05:55 AM
Sooooo....is there an update to this yet ?

I have been working on my old atv project getting the rear swingarm bearings replaced so I can work on putting a china engine in it.
I will have to line up the front and rear sprockets and weld in the engine mounts which involves a lot of work and checking/rechecking.

Looking at everyones ATV's has gotten me a bit fired up to work on my ATV's.

parallax
02-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Hi guys...sorry for not updating yet...I greatly appreciate all the great advice. So far i have not had a chance to do any work on it yet...simply too busy with life schedule. However i have taken into consideration all the comments made so far...and fully intend to soak the chain in oil...and examine the rear axle bearing for flaws.

However, i am still unsure how i would go about shifting the rear sprocket to the left, should it need it, and i think it does. I still have to rule out engine mount bolt problems...and bearing issues...but just for the sake of argument, can anyone give me specific ideas as to how to shift that sprocket?

Someone mentioned the wheel hub nuts...they are both tight and of course have their cotter pins in place...are you saying that if i remove them the axle side come apart??? hmmm...need clarification...

Also, my camera makes everything look a little too high def...lol...the quad looks in bad shape in the photos but isn't. It's basically perfect...but it was unfortunately strored (covered) outside for two months of this harsh winter...and picked up some visable surface rust...but it is only that...on the surface...the chain is still ok...i just need to clean everything as soon as i get some free time...

So thanks again everyone that pitched in...and as usual, feel free to comment further...pics are always welcome...

Alex

TeamCheap
02-11-2009, 10:17 PM
I know about life things getting in the way ....it happens.

If the sprockets are not aligned it was either made that way(not likely) or something is worn/broken/bent and a chain off inspection should allow you to see.A rusty chain could bind it up enough to misalign it.

If the sprockets arent lined up correctly it could take any number of things to get it aligned properly.There is NOT an adjustment to shift the rear sprocket left or right.
About all you can do is use the two chain slack adjusters under the rear axle to possibly correct a slight twist.

The quad does look in good shape but a chain will rust up pretty quickly if left unlubed.

You might be able to set the rear of the quad up on something and spin the rear tire and spray or apply oil to the chain before taking it off.
I'd bet if you did that the chain would loosen up.

here this pic might help a little
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/TeamCheap/ATVchainadjuster-1.jpg