PDA

View Full Version : Canadian imports from the US

culcune
03-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Some friends of ours are staying in Yuma as snowbirds from Colorado. The park they are staying at is filled with predominantly Canadian snowbirds. We went to the hot tub last night, and a gentleman from Alberta was there. We got to talking about taxes, etc. and I mentioned that on the few motorcycle-related sites I belong to (predominantly this one), the Canadian members seem to have to pay quite alot more for equivalent vehicles.

He made it seem like it is as easy as paying the Canadian GST of 7% to bring vehicles into Canada, and how different friends of his who are also regular snowbirds to Yuma buy Harleys and other vehicles such as large SUV's and save $15000 over what they would have to pay in Canada, and drive them home.

Would it be as easy as crossing the border into the US, buying, say a $1200 GY-5, and riding it back into Canada, paying the 7% like this guy made it sound? Am I on to something for you guys, or is there more to bringing vehicles into Canada from the US?

Jim
03-01-2009, 04:57 PM
You wouldn't save that much on a Harley I don't think, but people were saving similar to that on new fully loaded pickups... It also depends on how our dollar is doing at the time. And then it comes down to is it as simple as he made it sound? No, not really... Paperwork needs to go through at the American side of the border to verify the vehicle has a clear title, isn't stolen, etc, and to export it out of the USA (no more USA title) and then paperwork has to go through on the Canadian side to import the vehicle. There is I believe 3 days waiting at the border.... All the applicable fees at both sides of the borders, as well as the time spent.... Then you need to figure how you are getting it to the border, if you are riding it or driving it, you need to have insurance on it in the states and I assume this is a different process for each state? Once you get into Canada, you need to have a permit on the vehicle to drive, and then you need to have it provincially inspected, with applicable fees. After that, you may have issues with warranties, as some companies don't offer cross border warranty.... I forget which ones... I also think that not all vehicles are allowed, there is a list, if it is something sold in Canada it would probably be ok, but we can't for example import a new Royal Enfield motorcycle. I would say for the difference in price on a china bike, it probably isn't worth the hassle, unless you really like paperwork and dealing with customs?

Kawazacky
03-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Last year, it was impossible to bring a Lifan across the border and register it for the raod here. I checked. That may have changed, but I doubt it.

There is a list of what you can bring into Canada for street vehicles from the US, and if the brand you want isn't on it, you are out of luck.

suprf1y
03-02-2009, 03:29 PM
The list, and all requirements can be found at www.riv.ca

You can also buy this for $1299 (if that is what you're looking for)

http://www.abibaba.ca/xcart/catalog/200CC-1-CYLINDER-4-STROKE-AIR-COOLED-DIRT-BIKE-p-16251.html

pimptron
05-18-2009, 08:01 PM
i paid 1200 cdn for a new lifan 200 dirt bike in 06

i just bought a used lifan 200 enduro 2005 with 4000k already inspec.
$1000 cdn

i dont care what i saved or lost but i know im not forking out 5000 for a used jap enduro