PDA

View Full Version : Mods vs. adjustments

knothead
03-14-2009, 04:10 PM
I keep seeing where people make an adjustment to their bikes and call it a modification. For some reason it just bugs me.

A modification would entail physically changing something that wasn't meant to be changed; i.e. trimming fenders, swapping forks, different CDI or carb etc...
Moving the needle jet, swapping plugs to a different heat range, turning your handlebars upsidedown, etc... are adjustments.

It really doesn't matter, but I just wanted to get that off my chest. :lol:

TeamCheap
03-14-2009, 05:26 PM
:lol:

AZ200cc
03-15-2009, 01:33 AM
Soooo, Changing a plug requires nothing physical? :lol:

katoranger
03-15-2009, 03:29 PM
I view a mod as anything change from stock form.

TeamCheap
03-15-2009, 04:20 PM
I've ONLY made adjustments to ours NOTHING is modded on ours except for :

I've modded the air pressure in our tires often.
I've modded the carbs needle setting.
I've modded the plugs to a different gap.
I've modded the mirrors to various viewing angles.
I've modded the engines oil with new engine oil.
I've modded the rear shock preload on my wifes bike.
I've modded the chains free play often and I've modded it with chain lube.
I've modded the front fork oil on our bikes.

I adjusted the engines so they wont loosen up on their own anymore.
I adjusted the batteries so they wont get cooked anymore.
I adjusted the side panels on my bike so they wont dig into my legs while standing anymore.
I adjusted the exhaust systems on ours bikes to free flowing exhuasts.
I adjusted the main jet sizes on our bikes.
I adjusted the front fork spacer on my bike.
I adjusted my bikes handlebars into aluminum bars with barkbusters.
My wife adjusted the decals on my bikes side panels.
I made some minor adjustments to both our bikes headlights and front fenders.

I got it, I'm so glad I got it right now.
:lol: :lol:

knothead
03-15-2009, 06:16 PM

Well, I guess if you welded on something like sixteen platainium nitride electrodes onto the tip and swapped in a plutonium core to the plug, I guess that would count as a modification to the plug..... but just swapping heat ranges would count as an adjustment.

Or drilling and tapping the head to fit a 4" diameter plug that originally came out of the Titanic would count as a modification...

Widening your swingarm to accept a 200 series tire would be a modification...

Slapping on a cone airfilter.... hmmm, I wouldn't call that a modification. That's more like a swap since nothing is really altered. But If you added the cone filter when you swapped in that 75mm pumper carb... that would be borderline between a swap and a mod...

Moving the needle jet? Not a mod as the needle itself wasn't altered and it has grooves so that it can be adjusted. But regrinding the taper for a different fuel curve or cutting 10mm from the tip would be a modification

It's a tough call really. The definitions between the two words are close enough to allow their use almost interchangeably. But for some reason, in my mind, "mod" seems like it should carry more weight, like the person who did the work really put some thought and effort into it, like Red with his R-1 shock.

TeamCheap gets it! That made me LOL a bit!

AZ200cc
03-15-2009, 07:19 PM

Well, I guess if you welded on something like sixteen platainium nitride electrodes onto the tip and swapped in a plutonium core to the plug, I guess that would count as a modification to the plug..... but just swapping heat ranges would count as an adjustment.

Or drilling and tapping the head to fit a 4" diameter plug that originally came out of the Titanic would count as a modification...

Widening your swingarm to accept a 200 series tire would be a modification...

Slapping on a cone airfilter.... hmmm, I wouldn't call that a modification. That's more like a swap since nothing is really altered. But If you added the cone filter when you swapped in that 75mm pumper carb... that would be borderline between a swap and a mod...

Moving the needle jet? Not a mod as the needle itself wasn't altered and it has grooves so that it can be adjusted. But regrinding the taper for a different fuel curve or cutting 10mm from the tip would be a modification

It's a tough call really. The definitions between the two words are close enough to allow their use almost interchangeably. But for some reason, in my mind, "mod" seems like it should carry more weight, like the person who did the work really put some thought and effort into it, like Red with his R-1 shock.

TeamCheap gets it! That made me LOL a bit!

I see what You mean, I just would never get this deep into a shallow subject. But we all have those little things that pizz us off. This happens to be Yours.

warrior91
03-17-2009, 09:00 PM
:roll: Come on I modded my pitty rear tire on several ocasions...reducing the diameter several times by maching the rubber down with a dirt road.