PDA

View Full Version : Halogen Bulbs????

ambassador
02-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Anyone know where or if they have halogens as a direct replacement for an 06 GY-5, I'd like to not have to cut and splice wires... The stock light just don't cut it especially when not under power ie. sitting at a stop light...
I wanna be seen, not for my China bike but for my safety, any help would be great, thanks guys...

ambassador
02-26-2007, 09:16 PM
And what is with the Flashlight size bulb to the right inside the headlight???

gyjoe
02-27-2007, 12:42 AM
I got a halogen headlight bulb from Dennis Kirk, but I am sure they would be available at many places. I havent tried it yet, but I understand from those who have that it is a slight improvement. As for the little bulb next to it, that question was tossed around a while back, the prevailing opinion being that it is some kind of "parking light"---maybe that is something they need in China?

dlunt
02-27-2007, 08:32 PM
The halogen bulb of the same wattage as stock does make a little difference. I replaced it with one, but the place doesn't carry them any more.

But more than anything, make sure it is aimed to where you like it when you are sitting on the bike.

I thought mine was aimed right, but one very early summer morning on the way to work there was this heavy, patchy fog...
I could have seen through a piece of drywall better than I could through that fog the way the light was aimed! :roll:

mdsuave13
02-27-2007, 09:54 PM
hey, i AM going to find what other bulbs can fit these housings. I am determined to either A: modify the housing and wiring harness to get a 55w halogen bulb in there (then once i figure out which bulb i can get to fit, i am going to order one of the xenon hid kits from ebay for 100 bux) then i will have all the light i may ever need.....

before i get harassed about hid bulbs.. note this:

hid bulbs produce 4x more light then the average 55w halogen bulb at 6000k
hid bulbs last double the life span of ordinary 55w halogen bulbs
hid bulbs run cooler and at a lower wattage in comparison (35w compared to 55w for halogen)
hid bulbs also use roughly half the power while turned on.. its just the initial draw to fire the ballasts that im concerned about i dont think it will be a problem tho

you can get dual beam high/low hid bulbs now!

so from what im seeing, it may pay off to run the hid setup... i will have to figure out if it will work, if it does great, plus with the little bit of power im shaving off the light, i can add other crap to the bike (hardwired gps, heated grips, 12v accessory plug for charging cell phones or running a radar detector)

if anyone has anything to throw in to this equation that i havent thought about or addressed here, please feel free to make me look stupid, id rather not waste 100 bux on something that wont work because i overlooked a single detail....

ambassador
02-28-2007, 12:50 AM
Any Halogen is gonna be brighter than the POS that is in there...

pobiker
02-28-2007, 08:58 AM
The small bulb is a parking lamp, my 72 triumph tiger had one, beleive it or not, I lost the head light one night coming home, It actually got me home with enough to see if going slow, and sortta be seen. Better than no light at all when its 2 am and there is no parts store open, especialy one that would have a Lucas bulb in stock. :lol:

CathastrophiX
02-28-2007, 12:07 PM
There are 35, 45 and 60 watt halogen and "standard" bulbs with Ba20d socket. I´ve changed to a 45 watt.

fatboy250
02-28-2007, 02:15 PM
There are 35, 45 and 60 watt halogen and "standard" bulbs with Ba20d socket. I´ve changed to a 45 watt.

Ditto on the 45W as seen in the Cross Ref Parts thread.

stixx3969
03-01-2007, 07:12 AM
On my Roketa, the small bulb is actually the low beam light.

mdsuave13
03-01-2007, 08:45 AM
i'm thinking i may just upgrade the whole number plate and headlight to a better equipped setup.. the factory setup may not cut the mustard...

we'll see tho, im going to call around and see what i can find out.

dlunt
03-01-2007, 08:34 PM
One thing to be aware of is that most of these Chinabikes don't have very strong charging systems.
I wouldn't go over a 45 watt unless I regurlarly plugged into a tender.
Of course if you change the rear light out for an LED then you have some juice left over for a stronger front.

I remember reading a few posts here and elsewhere about higher wattage bulb draining the battery evertime they rode.

I believe the bikes that have the batteries in the back have smaller batteries too. The ones under the seat are little larger. Maybe a little more electrical umph?

Bright lighting is an underrated saftey feature.
A lot of my gear is black so I want the bike to stand out. :)

ambassador
03-01-2007, 09:16 PM
I was going to go with a 60 watt bulb, doesn't the engine recharge the battery while running ie. alternator?

sheadouglas
03-02-2007, 11:50 PM
I think they have a magneto, or something like that. Not sure if it has the same purpose as an alternator or not? Someone fill me in. Maybe it doesnt recharge your battery while it is running?

mdsuave13
03-03-2007, 01:26 AM
it has a stator/magneto, it does the same thing as an alternator, but produces MUCH less charging power then an alternator.. i need to figure out if ours is good enough to power such a light... or even an hid setup.. i dont know how it would work at idle, considering the regular 35 watt bulb flickers...

ambassador
03-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Well after a s**t load oe research, it is near impossible to find a bosch type BA20D 35, 45 or 60W halogen bulb here in the states... Everyone who does sell them does not have any in stock, apparently they are in high demand and are not mass produced anymore... I found one place in England that sells them for 22 pounds+shipping, kinda pricey for a lightbulb... So I am still on a quest to find a friggin brighter light...If anyone knows where to find one, please let me know....

mdsuave13
03-03-2007, 12:01 PM
we need to modify the headlight assembly to fit one of those old dual chevy headlight setups, that way we could put in an h4 and have our pick of bulbs...

CathastrophiX
03-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Here in Sweden a Ba20d bulb costs about $5....

ambassador
03-03-2007, 01:27 PM
How much is shipping though???

FMYStreetRacer
03-03-2007, 03:48 PM
hey, i AM going to find what other bulbs can fit these housings. I am determined to either A: modify the housing and wiring harness to get a 55w halogen bulb in there (then once i figure out which bulb i can get to fit, i am going to order one of the xenon hid kits from ebay for 100 bux) then i will have all the light i may ever need.....

before i get harassed about hid bulbs.. note this:

hid bulbs produce 4x more light then the average 55w halogen bulb at 6000k
hid bulbs last double the life span of ordinary 55w halogen bulbs
hid bulbs run cooler and at a lower wattage in comparison (35w compared to 55w for halogen)
hid bulbs also use roughly half the power while turned on.. its just the initial draw to fire the ballasts that im concerned about i dont think it will be a problem tho

you can get dual beam high/low hid bulbs now!

so from what im seeing, it may pay off to run the hid setup... i will have to figure out if it will work, if it does great, plus with the little bit of power im shaving off the light, i can add other crap to the bike (hardwired gps, heated grips, 12v accessory plug for charging cell phones or running a radar detector)

if anyone has anything to throw in to this equation that i havent thought about or addressed here, please feel free to make me look stupid, id rather not waste 100 bux on something that wont work because i overlooked a single detail....

just please make sure the bulb has a sheild. with the light out put that a HID has you'll be spreading light every where blinding people. put a sheild on it and you'll get a nice cut off like as if though you have a projector in there.

mdsuave13
03-03-2007, 05:25 PM
chances are that i will have to change the whole housing to something else with a more common bulb.. if thats the case, i will make sure whatever i get will have the correct reflector in it as to not blind EVERYONE i see.....

although it might be better to blind everyone, at least they will see me coming...