PDA

View Full Version : 164 fml/Gio beast 200 oil change Q

suprf1y
03-23-2009, 10:54 AM
We have these motors in our Geo beast quads.
After assembly on machine #2, I went to change out the Chinese oil before start up, but could not find the drain plug.
The reason?
It doesn't have one.
Is this normal for the 200cc?
The first one did, so my thoughts are that its probably a money saving engineering change, or somehow the motor found its way through with no drain hole 8O
I used the filter hole to drain it. Not as good, but good enough for me.
Has anybody seen this before?

Also, when I refill, in order to get the right level in the sight glass, the dipstick shows that its way overfilled. I'm going by the sight glass level for now, and the amount to fill is just over 1 liter.
My manual says .9 liters for a fill, so that makes me think the dipstick is correct. Either way its probably OK, I'm just curious.

DDG1976
03-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Mine has a drain plug, so I haven't got an answer for it not having a drain plug. Does it have the machined area where the drain would be? Maybe the CNC machine missed it when they milled the block? My manual says 1.46 quarts, I think that is one liter (not sure) and the sight window will be completely covered when the bike is straight up. And the dipstick shows correct, so I usually go by the dipstick. Mine is a lifan.

suprf1y
04-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Time to do an oil change, and since we have a few Giobeast owners on here now, maybe they can tell me.
When I fill the oil to mid-sight glass, the level is way high on the dipstick.
Which level do I trust?
I'm sure it doesn't matter much, and using the sight glass now, just curious what others are doing?
If I recall it took one litre last time.

Weldangrind
04-05-2009, 09:49 PM
I think it depends on your procedure; are you screwing the dipstick in all the way, or just resting it on the engine when you want to read it? It makes quite a difference in the reading on the stick.

suprf1y
04-06-2009, 10:00 AM
I am screwing it in all the way, like you are supposed to.

Weldangrind
04-06-2009, 10:45 AM
I am screwing it in all the way, like you are supposed to.

I'm not convinced that we're supposed to. I've had bikes where the owner's manual clearly states that the dipstick should just rest on the engine and not be screwed in. That would likely explain the difference between the dipstick and sight glass readings.

Cheers!

maf119l
04-06-2009, 10:57 AM
I'd trust the sight glass before i would the dip stick

SpeedSouth
04-06-2009, 12:30 PM
I have never screwed in the dipstick to check oil on a bike...never owned a quad.

suprf1y
04-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Every motor I've ever had with a dipstick has specified that it must be screwed in all the way to get a correct reading.
No big deal. Just wondering what you guys were doing with yours.

Cal25
04-06-2009, 03:47 PM
I have always just inserted a screw in dipstick till it touches. So that got me to thinking. I have the owners manual for my lawn mower here at work and it has a screw in dip stick. The manual says " For accurate reading,tighten dipstick cap securely onto the tube before removing dipstick".

I wonder what the level says when the stick is just pushed in till it makes contact? Somewhere in my past I have owned equipment with screw on dipsticks that say to just push it in till it touches, but not sure what it was. I guess I need to check a little closer in the future.

SpeedSouth
04-06-2009, 05:29 PM
I guess I need to check a little closer in the future.

I guess I do too. 8O :lol:

suprf1y
04-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Every motor I've ever had with a dipstick has specified that it must be screwed in all the way to get a correct reading.

Make that every motor but one.
I can admit when I'm wrong
Just read the manual, it says to put the dipstick in, without screwing it in :lol:

podperson
06-22-2009, 10:31 AM
After assembly on machine #2, I went to change out the Chinese oil before start up, but could not find the drain plug.
The reason?
It doesn't have one.

Where is the filter? I haven't noticed anything that I thought was a filter.

I've got a brand new beast (june 2009) and it doesn't have a drain plug either. The only things above the two holes in the skid plate are 2 bolts holding the engine together and a very large bold that is part of the trans which I don't feel like breaking.

There are no downfacing bolts or nuts at all. There is a flat space where the drain plug should probably be.

Weldangrind
06-22-2009, 11:02 AM
The reason?
It doesn't have one.

I've got a brand new beast (june 2009) and it doesn't have a drain plug either. The only things above the two holes in the skid plate are 2 bolts holding the engine together and a very large bold that is part of the trans which I don't feel like breaking.

There are no downfacing bolts or nuts at all. There is a flat space where the drain plug should probably be.

The filter on our Beast (2007) is horizontally mounted in front of the gearshift shaft, in the form of a large nut. Take care when removing it, because there is a large spring behind it. It's the same as an old Honda four stroke; it requires that you tip the machine to the side to drain all of the oil (on an XR, you'd have the bike leaning on the kickstand).

Cheers!

Cheers!

smithyUK
06-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Time to do an oil change, and since we have a few Giobeast owners on here now, maybe they can tell me.
When I fill the oil to mid-sight glass, the level is way high on the dipstick.
Which level do I trust?
I'm sure it doesn't matter much, and using the sight glass now, just curious what others are doing?
If I recall it took one litre last time.
have the same problem with the gy i used the dipstick for reading btw total noob question :oops: does the bike have to be off the stand and standing upright for reading the dipstick

suprf1y
06-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Vertical (level), with the dipstick just set in the hole, not screwed in, as I found out.

anthonyfa18
02-13-2010, 01:58 AM
The reason?
It doesn't have one.

The filter on our Beast (2007) is horizontally mounted in front of the gearshift shaft, in the form of a large nut. Take care when removing it, because there is a large spring behind it. It's the same as an old Honda four stroke; it requires that you tip the machine to the side to drain all of the oil (on an XR, you'd have the bike leaning on the kickstand).

Cheers!

sorry to bring this back, but i just did my 3th oil change i dont see no filter got any pic???

MICRider
02-13-2010, 06:33 AM
Hello, here is a picture of the gearshift side of the motor. I circled the oil filter screen nut in red. Hope this helps :)

Regards,
Stew
http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx261/MICRider/beastmotor.jpg

waynev
02-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Yep, when you remove that nut there is a spring and a metal screen filter. It is the only place to drain the oil though, were you looking for a different filter anthony ?.

anthonyfa18
02-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Yep, when you remove that nut there is a spring and a metal screen filter. It is the only place to drain the oil though, were you looking for a different filter anthony ?.

i thought it was just decoration bolt on the motor, so it a metal screen filter not a filter like this
http://www.blaisracingservices.com/images/uploads/CRF_Oil_Filter.jpg

waynev
02-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Nope, it's a metal screen cone shaped filter. How did you change your oil without removing that "decoration bolt"?, i didn't know there was another bolt on that engine you could drain the oil out of it.

anthonyfa18
02-13-2010, 06:53 PM
i used my drain plug under my motor

waynev
02-13-2010, 08:34 PM
i used my drain plug under my motor

where might that be ?, i didn't see another one on my beast, it is just like the one in the picture above and i don't see another bolt on the bottom of that engine either, hmmmmmm.

anthonyfa18
02-14-2010, 01:44 AM
here is the pic, sorry for the bad pic i was using my iphone

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9291/img0124il.th.jpg (http://img195.imageshack.us/i/img0124il.jpg/)

TurboT
02-14-2010, 04:59 AM
waynev, you and I obviously have the same run of Beast motor, as I do not have a drain plug on the bottom of my motor either.. however, W&G's does.

I have a flattened/machined area where the bolt 'should be' but no hole. :)

It's kind of like they 'forgot' that part of the machining process on some of these motors.
-----

Go Canada Go! :)

waynev
02-14-2010, 09:32 AM
waynev, you and I obviously have the same run of Beast motor, as I do not have a drain plug on the bottom of my motor either.. however, W&G's does.

It's kind of like they 'forgot' that part of the machining process on some of these motors.
-----

I guess so T, there is no bolt at all on the bottom of my engine.

anthonyfa18
02-14-2010, 11:13 AM

-----

if u don't mind me asking douse W&G have a metal screen filter ??? maybe there is changes made to some of the motors like in the cars " i see it all the time at work"

waynev& turboT what is the manufacture date on your gio beast???

waynev
02-14-2010, 11:30 AM
The date on mine is April 2008.

anthonyfa18
02-14-2010, 11:34 AM
that is odd i also have April 2008

Weldangrind
02-14-2010, 11:51 AM
To continue with the oddities, mine is April 2007 and so is TurboT's. To confirm what T said, mine has the drain hole and his does not.

To answer your question anthonyfa18, yes, my Beast has the filter; so will yours.

MICRider
02-14-2010, 12:05 PM
It's wild that some have the drain on the bottom and some don't... I was sure mine had a bottom plug so I checked. It doesn't have one either... I think I had it confused with my son's Mini-Beast. If I remember correctly, there was nothing in the filter screen on my last oil change. The first change I had some bits of metal though, kind of looked like casting flash.

anthonyfa18
02-14-2010, 12:31 PM
To continue with the oddities, mine is April 2007 and so is TurboT's. To confirm what T said, mine has the drain hole and his does not.

To answer your question anthonyfa18, yes, my Beast has the filter; so will yours.

and do u change your filter every oil change?? if u do what model honda to u get it from ???

waynev
02-14-2010, 01:17 PM
The filter is just a metal screen, it is easily cleaned and reused.

anthonyfa18
02-14-2010, 02:29 PM
i will take a look at it next oil change

Weldangrind
02-15-2010, 02:20 AM
The filter is just a metal screen, it is easily cleaned and reused.

Yeah, I would never replace it unless it was torn.

anthonyfa18
02-15-2010, 08:12 PM
ok cool thanks for all the help this subject should be a sticky