PDA

View Full Version : 125cc Bikes street legal on US roads?

Jim
03-24-2009, 09:55 AM
I found a topic on another forum, talking about the Honda CBR125r, and it was brought up by someone, that they probably won't make their way to the USA, and then someone says it is because of restrictions and that they aren't legal on US roads... Here's the quote...

Laws differ from state to state, but generally the CBR125R isn't allowed on US roads (and I'm almost sure they're not allowed on interstates)

I find it hard to believe that a 125 would be banned, you guys do have scooters down there after all... I understand that it is more likely there is restrictions on interstate travel, but on all roads in general? I think someone is misinformed.

Cal25
03-24-2009, 10:32 AM
I am in Texas and I am not aware of any such law.

culcune
03-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Someone is misinformed--we have the Kawasaki 125 Eliminator which is legal, as well as all sized scooters here. Not necessarily legal for interstates and state freeways, but not outlawed, either.

suprf1y
03-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Jim, even the admin of that forum posted that about Canada a few weeks ago, telling people they could not use the 125 for their road test.
There are no restrictions based on size in Canada. In the States, I have read that there is a 50cc rule.
Up here (at least in Ontario) we have the limited speed vehicle classification, mostly scooters and mopeds. They are not allowed on the highway.

Jim
03-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Right on, I figured it was misinformation being spread around, just thought I would check with you guys ;) Thanks.

TeamCheap
03-24-2009, 06:03 PM
125cc bikes and smaller are NOT allowed on the freeways in michigan.
(max speed 70mph-trucks-60mph-minimum 50mph)

There are signs at most every entry ramp.

Cant comment on other states as I havnt really looked for it but it may be a federal highway regulation.

From michigan SOS website.
(SOS=Secretary Of State)
Freeway Driving
Freeways are our safest roads. Traffic flows in the same
direction. There are no stops or intersections. Pedestrians, small
motorcycles of 124 cc or less, mopeds, bicycles, all-terrain
vehicles, and slow-moving vehicles are not allowed on freeways.

You could run a 125cc bike anywhere else as long as they have their money for the proper tags.
(they=money grubbing bafoons running our state)

Cal25
03-25-2009, 08:18 AM
Just reading your quote from the SOS and a tru 125 would appear to be legal. 124's and less are illegal.

BillR
03-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Could it be due to DOT and EPA regs???

I can't buy some bikes in Canada or Europe and "legally" run them in the US because they don't have the "stickers".
The old 125 and 250 GP replica 2 strokes come readily to mind. Man did I lust after a KR 250 :twisted:
Bill

Jim
03-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Well I am sure if Honda wanted to sell them in the USA they would have to have them epa and dot approved, just the same as all of the Chinese bikes, or the other Honda bikes, but I am sure they could get that done... I am thinking the person who wrote that was just misinformed.

SpeedSouth
03-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Well I am sure if Honda wanted to sell them in the USA they would have to have them epa and dot approved, just the same as all of the Chinese bikes, or the other Honda bikes, but I am sure they could get that done... I am thinking the person who wrote that was just misinformed.

I think you're right. :)

pezgoon
04-13-2009, 08:46 PM
irection. There are no stops or intersections. Pedestrians, small
motorcycles of 124 cc or less, mopeds, bicycles, all-terrain
vehicles, and slow-moving vehicles are not allowed on freeways.

if you read the specs on a 125 (or any engine in existance acutally that is denoted in a similar way 'cbr500 klx110 k400') they are always one cc lower than the denoted name, so a cbr125 is actually only 124cc's so it is illegal in wherever the hell this law was quoted from

Jim
04-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Not always, a lot of Chinese 250's are really 233, my Kawasaki 800 is 805, etc.

SpudRider
04-14-2009, 08:06 PM
I found a topic on another forum, talking about the Honda CBR125r, and it was brought up by someone, that they probably won't make their way to the USA, and then someone says it is because of restrictions and that they aren't legal on US roads... Here's the quote...

Laws differ from state to state, but generally the CBR125R isn't allowed on US roads (and I'm almost sure they're not allowed on interstates)

I find it hard to believe that a 125 would be banned, you guys do have scooters down there after all... I understand that it is more likely there is restrictions on interstate travel, but on all roads in general? I think someone is misinformed.
You are correct, Jim. That poster is in error. I researched the Idaho Motorcycle Operator's Manual and found no restrictions. I contacted my colleagues at the Idaho STAR motorcycle rider training office, and they did not know of any restrictions. Finally, I contacted the Idaho State Police. The public relations officer informed me that "the Idaho Driver’s Manual states on page 2-4

• Minimum speeds: It is illegal to drive so slowly that you disrupt the normal flow of traffic.

So, If the cycle is not capable of keeping up with the flow of traffic, IC 49-655 would apply –

TITLE 49

MOTOR VEHICLES

CHAPTER 6

RULES OF THE ROAD

49-655.Minimum speed regulation. No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with the law."

This is the only statute in Idaho that applies to a minimum speed necessary to travel on any highway in the state.

Come on down to Idaho and ride, Jim! We welcome your CBR 125R on every highway in the Gem State. :D

Spud :)

montanaoffroader
04-15-2009, 11:20 PM
Montana has rules similar to Idaho's. The only displacement rules I have seen deal with motorized bicycles/mopeds 49 cc's and under. So come on down, Montana and Idaho both have lots of uncrowded roads and some great scenery.

Mike

pezgoon
04-16-2009, 07:49 PM
i think NH has the same as montana if i remember correctly

crossed
04-16-2009, 09:14 PM
I don't think it is the size of the bike that matters, just that it is not EPA or DOT certified to be street legal in the US. I tried to google search it but couldn't find any specific info, but on the American Honda site it isn't listed.

I think the big Japanese manufacturers would do well to start selling the smaller bikes in the US, there's a fast growing market for small displacement motorcycles.